Failed to start login service

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Failed to start login service

Postby Erik » May 21st, '18, 15:27

A few days ago I put a SSD drive in my Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 laptop with CPU Intel Core i3-380M, Intel HD graphics, 64-bits, and installed Mageia 6 XFCE. The desktop looks beautiful and the computer works like a charm. I customized and updated. After that the computer was very slow and even when I had logged in, I could not do anything. The mouse did not work, nor the touchpad or keyboard. I reinstalled four/five times with the same results. The I thought: perhaps it is not my fault. I booted with the kernel used by the installation: kernel-desktop-4.9.35-1.mageia6. Everyting worked as expected again! In order to get the advantages of the updated kernel I installed kernel-desktop-4.14.30-3.mageia6, the one before the latest. I am happy to say that again everything works as expected. My conclusion is, that some error has been introduced in this latest version.

Once upon a time we could read "messages" in /var/logs, but no longer. So I cannot tell you what errors there were, except the one that I could understand during boot: "Faile to start login service".

The problem has been worked around by installing the before-latest kernel, so I do not ask for help, but I believe it might be useful to know this for those who can understand how computers work and what this message means.

I am very happy with this Mageia6 XFCE, it looks beuatiful and when it works it is a joy to work with. So all those who contributed to this distro: thank you very much.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Re: Failed to start login service

Postby morgano » May 21st, '18, 22:43

Yes there are some problems with kernel 4.14.40 being investigated, i.e Bug 23060 - kernel-desktop-4.14.40-1.mga6-1-1.mga6 : Slow boot

For logs Mageia use journal. To see all system messages it need be run as root. Suffix it with -b to see messages starting from last boot
So, in a terminal issue:
Code: Select all
su
journalctl -b

To navigate use pgup, pgdn arrow up/dn, end/home, exit with q.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Re: Failed to start login service

Postby doktor5000 » May 22nd, '18, 18:10

morgano wrote:For logs Mageia use journal. To see all system messages it need be run as root.

It does not need to be run as root, it only requires group membership in either "systemd-journal", "adm", or "wheel".
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support