[Solved] How to reinstall KDE Plasma5 v5.12.2

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[Solved] How to reinstall KDE Plasma5 v5.12.2

Postby gregM » May 20th, '18, 09:08

Hi All,
My KDE Plasma5 started up this morning with nothing on the desktop but an empty panel bar. No applications or other features on the panel or icons on the desktop. Just the wallpaper image and empty plasma5 panel.

The 'add widgets' gives no response (yes they are set to 'unlocked').
I can add a new panels but not add widgets to them.
I have tried all manner of things to get KDE working, removing the .kde and .kde4 folders in my home space, also the plasma* files in the .config folder, removing and re-adding the KDE meta packages from rpmdrake, adding and removing the qtquick elements.

Now I would simply like to completely remove and then re-add KDE Plasma5 from the Install/Remove Software in Mageia Control Centre Graphical Desktop/Window Managers meta-packages, but removing the "task-plasma5 - Metapackage for Plasma 5​" and  "task-plasma5-minimal - Minimal dependencies needed by Plasma 5​" (both version 5.12.2) and re-adding them is not refreshing the KDE unless I remove the plasma-desktop pkg as well"plasma-desktop - Plasma 5 application workspace components​".... Even when the fresh plasma-desktop pkg is reinstalled no change in the KDE plasma5 system.

A new user added to the system has the same issue, ie empty desktop and no widgets on the default KDE panel and cant add them either ....

Below is the error messages from the broken plasmashell start up and the failure messages from the attempt to 'Add Widgets'.

It looks a lot like there is a mismatch or broken link between plasma versions or elements.

I have installed the mega-update recently but problem only started a days after that update.. Have tried a few different kernel versions (now 4.14.40-server-1.mga6) but they have had no effect on the problem.

What do I need to do to get a clean install of KDE with the newer 5.12.2 version of plasma ?
It would be nice if the remove and add of the meta-packages for the KDE graphical desktop in rpmdrake would refresh the entire KDE stack in magiea !

Any suggestions welcome.

Greg

Shutdown and restart of plasma shell with error messages :-

Code: Select all
[greg@newport ~]$ kquitapp5 plasmashell
[greg@newport ~]$ plasmashell
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/LayoutManager.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js")
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/FolderTools.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderTools.js")
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderViewLayer.qml:210:9: Type FolderView unavailable
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderView.qml:527:9: Type PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea unavailable
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:22:1: module "QtQuick.Controls.Styles.Plasma" is not installed
trying to show an empty dialog
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/mga/backgrounds/"
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/mga/backgrounds/"
"file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/applet/AppletError.qml"
 "Error loading QML file.\n41: Type PlasmaComponents.TextArea unavailable\n23: module \"QtQuick.Controls.Styles.Plasma\" is not installed\n"
"file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/applet/AppletError.qml"
 "Error loading QML file.\n41: Type PlasmaComponents.TextArea unavailable\n23: module \"QtQuick.Controls.Styles.Plasma\" is not installed\n"
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.lock_logout/contents/code/data.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.lock_logout/contents/ui/data.js")
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/code/LayoutManager.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js")
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:31: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:76: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:76: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:68: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:31: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:32: ReferenceError: plasmoid is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:67:5: QML Connections: Cannot assign to non-existent property "onUserConfiguringChanged"
Plasma Shell startup completed
trying to show an empty dialog
-----------------------------------------------
Error Messages when trying to add a widget to the panel :-
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/explorer/WidgetExplorer.qml:221:13: Type PlasmaComponents.TextField unavailable
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/components/TextField.qml:24:1: module "QtQuick.Controls.Styles.Plasma" is not installed
------------------------------------------------
Last edited by gregM on May 23rd, '18, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.
gregM

Re: How to reinstall KDE Plasma5 v5.12.2

Postby ITA84 » May 20th, '18, 14:08

If you're on Cauldron, it could have something to do with the KF5 update.
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » May 20th, '18, 20:10

Re-installing plasma will not help with any broken settings, as they are stored in your home folder and are not affected by reinstalling packages.
Best create a new user, and provide feedback whether the same issue persists with that user.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby gregM » May 21st, '18, 00:22

Hi Doktor5000,
I did create new user (mentioned in original post) and same situation.
I am not on Cauldron either.....
gregM

Postby ITA84 » May 21st, '18, 07:50

This is just a guess, but in the log it says QtQuick.Controls.Styles.Plasma is not installed: this should be the stuff in /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma, which is from the plasma-workspace package. The package should be part of task-plasma5-minimal (and a dependency for plasma-workspace), but just in case please check if you have the package installed and the directory exists.
I'd open a bug report in any case
ITA84

Postby gregM » May 21st, '18, 08:19

Thanks ITA84,
I am on 32bit on this PC, but have checked and do not have any QtQuick files in that folder /usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma :-
I reinstalled the plasma-workspace 5.12.2 package to be sure but that file didnt appear.....or seem to be listed in the package files list.
I will check the earlier version of plasma-workspace 5.8.4

/usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma
[greg@newport Plasma]$ ls -las
total 168
 4 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 May 13 09:42 ./
 4 drwxr-xr-x 7 root root  4096 May 20 12:58 ../
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1157 Jan  8 03:22 ApplicationWindowStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1873 Jan  8 03:22 BusyIndicatorStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6472 Jan  8 03:22 ButtonStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5239 Jan  8 03:22 CalendarStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2717 Jan  8 03:22 CheckBoxStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4628 Jan  8 03:22 ComboBoxStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1919 Jan  8 03:22 CursorDelegate.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1560 Jan  8 03:22 CursorHandleStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5184 Jan  8 03:22 EditMenuTouch.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   903 Jan  8 03:22 FocusFrameStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2405 Jan  8 03:22 GroupBoxStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2200 Jan  8 03:22 MenuBarStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3731 Jan  8 03:22 MenuStyle.qml
 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 May 13 09:42 private/
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4068 Jan  8 03:22 ProgressBarStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2540 Jan  8 03:22 RadioButtonStyle.qml
12 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  8526 Jan  8 03:22 ScrollViewStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1578 Jan  8 03:22 SelectionHandleStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3807 Jan  8 03:22 SliderStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2851 Jan  8 03:22 SpinBoxStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1427 Jan  8 03:22 StatusBarStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1905 Jan  8 03:22 SwitchStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6181 Jan  8 03:22 TableViewStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2610 Jan  8 03:22 TabViewStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3138 Jan  8 03:22 TextAreaStyle.qml
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4224 Jan  8 03:22 TextFieldStyle.qml
 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1207 Jan  8 03:22 ToolBarStyle.qml
20 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16668 Jan  8 03:22 ToolButtonStyle.qml

Searching from here /usr/lib/qt5/qtquick I find these files with qtquick in the name, I see some .so files with qtquickcontrols mentioned.... :-

file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/Material/libqtquickcontrols2materialstyleplugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/libqtquickcontrols2plugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/Universal/libqtquickcontrols2universalstyleplugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/libqtquickcontrolsplugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Flat/libqtquickextrasflatplugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Extras/libqtquickextrasplugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Templates.2/libqtquicktemplates2plugin.so
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/designer/qtquickcontrols2.metainfo
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Extras/designer/qtquickextras.metainfo
Last edited by doktor5000 on May 21st, '18, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
gregM

Postby doktor5000 » May 21st, '18, 11:11

Please next time use code tags as explained in ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandriva/m ... e_tags.ogv
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

[Solved] Re: How to reinstall KDE Plasma5 v5.12.2

Postby gregM » May 22nd, '18, 06:12

[Solved]
I have now got the KDE Plasma5 working again.
I had to remove the libqt5core5 package manually as well as the task-plasma5 and task-plasma5-minimal packages, then reinstall the task-plasma5* packages.
Whatever was broken seemed to get fixed with this technique, where just removing the task-plasma5* packages alone didn't fix anything....
The process removed and reinstalled about 315 packages.

I also changed the update mirror in case there was a problem with a damaged or missing package from the mirror I was using.

Thanks for the assistance.
gregM

Postby morgano » May 22nd, '18, 14:14

That is correct, removing a task-* do not remove anything.
A task-* is used to automatically install a bunch of packages with it to make that * complete.
If you uninstall any package that the task-* is dependant on, the task-* package will also be uninstalled.

Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Removing_packages , https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... g_software
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » May 22nd, '18, 17:58

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
doktor5000

Postby gregM » May 23rd, '18, 00:16

Thanks for those links...
It help get a full picture of the tasx-* meta packages and how they work...

morgano wrote:That is correct, removing a task-* do not remove anything.
A task-* is used to automatically install a bunch of packages with it to make that * complete.
If you uninstall any package that the task-* is dependant on, the task-* package will also be uninstalled.

Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Removing_packages , https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... g_software
gregM

Return to Advanced support