Versions of cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Versions of cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers

Postby morgano » Apr 3rd, '18, 20:43

I have removed kernel*-latest packages so kernel do not get updated.
But new kernel version related updates for cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers are still offered.
I am thinking that is not optimal?
On the other hand when we have more than one kernel installed we only have latest version of these two packages, and if we select elder kernels they boot OK anyways, so...?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Re: Versions of cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 3rd, '18, 21:15

Where's the relation between cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers? And how do you usually apply updates?

If you don't want updates for certain packages, then best put them in /etc/urpmi/skip.lst
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 00:38

doktor5000 wrote:Where's the relation between cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers?
They get new versions for every kernel; their versions = kernel version
And how do you usually apply updates?
mgaapplet
If you don't want updates for certain packages, then best put them in /etc/urpmi/skip.lst
Thanks, i know. I was just thinking if there is some implications to let cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers continue to update.
I mean for just stopping kernel updates, it is normal to uninstall the kernel*-latest packages, so it seems logical that these companion packages should (be) stop(ped) too. Just a thought.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 4th, '18, 11:50

morgano wrote:I mean for just stopping kernel updates, it is normal to uninstall the kernel*-latest packages, so it seems logical that these companion packages should (be) stop(ped) too. Just a thought.

Well, for one it is not normal to stop kernel updates. And what you ask for is to change Mageia packaging so it is more convenient for users to stop updating certain packages - sorry but this doesn't make any sense.

As mentioned, if you don't want certain updates, put them in skip.lst.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 21:20

I just wondered about why they are given kernel version numbers, and how hard they are bound to kernel version.

I have a system where any change to grub menu risk making the system unbootable because of incompatibilities with asus UEFI, and unrepairable because our tools fail up repairing when system is in encrypted LVM. (All reported in bugzilla). So i need to skiplist kernel and nvidia. Then i got to wonder wether i should skip cpupower and kernel-userspace-headers, but as they do not seem to have been given dependencies for that i *guess* it dont matter, but ask anyway.
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 5th, '18, 01:37

morgano wrote:I just wondered about why they are given kernel version numbers, and how hard they are bound to kernel version.

Because they are all created from the same src.rpm and hence they also use that packages versioning.

There's no point in updating kernel-userspace-headers if you don't update kernel at all. For cpupower it shouldn't matter.
----
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 5th, '18, 02:58

Thank you :)
morgano

Return to Advanced support