[SOLVED] Installed Windows 10 After Mageia 6

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Installed Windows 10 After Mageia 6

Postby comt0006 » Feb 6th, '18, 02:59

Hi,

I'll explain my scenario from the beginning. On a new desktop I installed Mageia 6 and configured it exactly the way I wanted it. It was working great but then could not get certain programs/games to work on this platform such as Sketchup Make and others.

I read online that it is doable to do a dual boot of Windows/Mageia so I installed a new hard drive in my desktop and installed Windows 10 on it. All went fine with the Windows installation until I rebooted and now cannot find a way to recover my installation of Mageia.

I tried to boot from the DVD I used to install Mageia and I don't get the option to upgrade, fix or recover. I only get the install Mageia 6 option. I tried this and it brings me to the "Select Language" installation step which seems to be restarting a full installation. If possible I'd like to recover my installation of Mageia.

I read online that it was possible by inserting the installation DVD and go to the bootloader to re-add the Mageia installation and that would give me dual boot Windows/Mageia.

If anyone has been able to do this please let me know how to go about it. I can get any inforrmation required for troubleshooting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Last edited by comt0006 on Feb 7th, '18, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
comt0006

Re: Installed Windows 10 After Mageia 6

Postby wintpe » Feb 6th, '18, 16:57

Hi
your right about using the DVD to resetup the boot loader.

to do it you select install as the dvd boots, and then when it detects the linux install, it will offer upgrade.

you let it go for upgrade and its all over in a couple of seconds, and then it gives you the option to re-install the boot loader, setup video card etc.

ive done this loads of time, either after adding windows, or to recover a broken video setup, that occasionally happens on some updates.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby comt0006 » Feb 6th, '18, 17:46

Hi peter,

Thanks for replying to this post, much appreciated. I'll try this out this evening and report back.

Thanks again,
comt0006

Postby benmc » Feb 6th, '18, 21:23

wintpe wrote:your right about using the DVD to resetup the boot loader

comt0006 wrote:I only get the install Mageia 6 option

sounds like you installed using a Live DVD.
unfortunately the option to restore your bootloader (rescue option) is not available on these installation media.

you will have to download the net installer, i586 or x86_64(same as your install). burn to usb or dvd /cd.
also download the classical installer.iso to match your installed Mageia system. determine carefully the location of this file or copy to usb/dvd. you do not need to "burn" it .
from here you can rescue the system or re-install (without formatting)
once it has loaded the kernel you can remove the usb / dvd /cd and continue without it. if you copied the classical installer to DVD or USB you can insert it now.
it will search for a cd/dvd to continue the rescue / installation.
if no cd/dvd is loaded, It will ask for the location of your installation media, choose its location under "harddisk", either search for it in the "Windows 10" partition or usb (which will be sda/b/c/ etc). if you did not download the classical installer.iso. you will need to go on-line and locate a Magiea mirror, so a wired LAN may be handy.
if you chose "rescue", after it has located your install media, it will scan the HDDs and offer to install the bootloader. if two boottloaders are located (sda or sdb) you may be given a choice as to where the bootloader is to be installed.
if you chose "enter", the system will re-install. If you did not format your partitions, you will be offered the configuration page after a few minutes.
benmc

Postby comt0006 » Feb 7th, '18, 14:59

Hi,

I followed Peter's instructions and booted from the Mageia DVD, selected Install Mageia 6. I continued with the installation as usual and it detected that I had a previous installation of Mageia. I was then prompted with "Update Mageia" or "Install Mageia" which I selected Update. It went through the installation very quickly and then I was able to reset the boot loader. I checked the list and Windows 10 was in there. Then the installation finished and the computer rebooted.

One thing to note is that when it rebooted it went straight into Windows 10 again. I thought for sure that the update of Mageia did nothing at all. So I went into my BIOS to turn off the WIndows 10 Hard drive and voila... I was prompted with the new boot loader with Windows 10 in the list. I selected Mageia and it brought me to my installation which was exactly the way I left it! I then went on to turn the Windows 10 Hard drive back on in the BIOS and rebooted. I now get the Mageia boot loader with Windows 10 and Mageia 6. I tried to boot into both operating systems and was successful.

Everything now works with dual boot.

Thanks for all your help Peter! Much appreciated.
comt0006

Postby isadora » Feb 7th, '18, 15:18

Would you mind, marking this topic [SOLVED]?
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead comt0006. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby gohlip » Feb 7th, '18, 16:27

I know it is solved, but if you don't mind, comt006, can you at mageia terminal, provide the output as root of
Code: Select all
# efibootmgr -v

Thanks.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Re: [SOLVED] Installed Windows 10 After Mageia 6

Postby comt0006 » Feb 7th, '18, 19:54

Hi gohlip,

I'll post the output as soon as I can.

Cheers,
comt0006

Postby comt0006 » Feb 8th, '18, 04:11

I get the following result when running the command as root "efibootmgr -v"

bash: efibootmgr: command not found

I believe that I am using grub2 as my boot manager.
comt0006

Postby gohlip » Feb 8th, '18, 04:26

comt0006 wrote:I get the following result when running the command as root "efibootmgr -v"
bash: efibootmgr: command not found
I believe that I am using grub2 as my boot manager.

Okay, thanks. You're on bios-legacy, not uefi and yes, on grub2.

You said earlier
So I went into my BIOS to turn off the WIndows 10 Hard drive ........ I then went on to turn the Windows 10 Hard drive back on in the BIOS and rebooted

giving me the impression you are on uefi and have 2 $esp's separately on the 2 drives.

If, on bios-legacy, "you turn back (or selected) the windows drive", it should give you the windows boot, not the mageia grub menu. [unless you do the 'grub2-install /dev/sda' to the windows drive after rebooting to mageia].

But thanks, and good to hear you've got it working again.
Cheers.
gohlip

Postby jiml8 » Feb 8th, '18, 20:43

Personally, I gave up dual-booting decades ago.

As I sit here, I am in my Mageia 6 workstation, but I also have a copy of Windows 10 up and running, and Windows 2000. And FreeBSD 8.4. And OpenSuse Leap 42.3. And a copy of Mageia 4.

Virtual machines are wonderful, and IMO beat multi-booting by such a large margin it isn't even funny. Windows as a VM isn't hard to set up, you just have to tune it so that it doesn't do bad things (like think it has control of the hard drive...).

JMHO, of course, and just a suggestion for OP.
jiml8

Postby gohlip » Feb 9th, '18, 04:07

Personally, I've done dual-booting decades ago (and still do) even as the bootloader was grub-legacy (which many had hassles with).
Booting up the real thing beats VM by such a big margin with the resource hog, allocated swap and the tune-up that VM requires it isn't even funny. :D
I now have both UEFI and bios-legacy and no less than 10 OS's in each, with combinations of grub2, refind, systemd-boot and my own (OS-independent) grub2.
I guess when some people cannot handle it, they're bound to say it isn't good. :roll: :) :lol:

Ho. Ho. Ho. But cheers everyone.
Peace.
gohlip

Return to Advanced support