[SOLVED] KDE Plasma 5 unable to delete Widgets

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] KDE Plasma 5 unable to delete Widgets

Postby Plisgyn2 » Jan 14th, '18, 16:43

I am running Mageia6 64bit KDE Plasma Desktop fully updated. The problem I have is when I try and delete a Widget from the Task Bar it disappears but the desktop and apart from being able to to move the cursor is now inoperable. Using ctrl-alt-delete I can logout and the log back in and the Widget I have tried to delete is now back again, but desktop is now operable. In my user directory I have a a .kde4 file which reappears if I delete it, and in .local/share there is a kde5 directory with an empty services/providers directories and also a a kde5d with empty keyboard/sessions directories. Any help would be appreciated as well as what information is needed for a bug report as there are no error messages.
Last edited by Plisgyn2 on Jan 16th, '18, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.
Plisgyn2

Re: KDE Plasma 5 unable to detele Widgets

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 14th, '18, 16:51

What widget are you trying to remove? Also, is that reproducible with a newly created user account?
Plisgyn2 wrote:The problem I have is when I try and delete a Widget from the Task Bar it disappears but the desktop and apart from being able to to move the cursor is now inoperable

What does that mean, you can't click on anything? What about keyboard and/or keyboard shortcuts?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Plisgyn2 » Jan 14th, '18, 19:35

I have a Wastebin Widget on the Task Bar and Desktop, am trying to remove the Task Bar one. Yes the cursor moves but I cannot click on anything. The only keyboard shortcut I have tried is the ctrl-alt-delete but clicking on mouse fails to bring usual option panel. Also a blue info icon pops up in the Task Bar but I am unable to click on it. I will try as another user and post results.
Update I have tried as another user and this worked o/k. I did notice that the Wastebin icon was different on the user that failed it was a bin but on the new user which worked it was a folder.
Plisgyn2

Postby ChuangTzu » Jan 14th, '18, 20:20

ChuangTzu

Postby Plisgyn2 » Jan 15th, '18, 12:18

The problem is it doesn't read original Post.
Plisgyn2

Re: KDE Plasma 5 unable to delete Widgets

Postby Plisgyn2 » Jan 16th, '18, 01:49

Finally managed to fix problem by changing Desktop Theme to Breeze from Air, now the Wastebin icon has changed from a Bin to a Folder and I can add/delete Widgets with no problem.
Plisgyn2

Return to Advanced support