Mageia Kernel fun

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Mageia Kernel fun

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 18:50

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to doing things a certain way in Mageia in regards to the Kernel..

Are there any obvious disadvantages to using this below method in Mageia?

Code: Select all
Download a Kernel:
2. /usr/src -tar vxf linux
cd linux
make clean && make mrproper
(cp ../../.config /usr/src/linux/.config)
make menuconfig
save
make -j3 <--- 3 indicates cores you use to compile. If you have 8, use 6 or 7
make modules && make modules_install
make install

configure Grub, use grub 1 if necessary.

I mean, for me this is the purist way of doing things, this method works in Mageia, testen and proven time after time in all previous versions. But in a system like Fedora, thiis build model is impossible, it ruins the system. In Mageia I have never encountered any problems with running a custom self compiled Kernel, even a minimal one, with only necessary configurations. Aside from obvious self created issues that were fixed in subsequent configuration versions.

I found this thread in Mageia's website:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_compi ... tom_kernel

Is that the preferred method, or is it somewhat outdated and overcomplicated, or does it have certain advantages in Mageia over a more traditional method?

In many other distroes, it tends to either be problematic, become problematic, or make complications, due to the lack of the flexibility and configurability of the system, alike to more restricted and closed systems of various charachter.

How about using Kernel tools, or doing things a different way and implementing Kernels from packages, using your own configuration files? I don't know the other ways to handle a Kernel in Mageia, except for just automatic with packages, or using my own custom Kernel. I don't know the third way. Perhaps there is a Kernel building tool of some sort? Graphical interface? I prefer menuconfig due to the nature of the action being done when changing the kernel settings and building a new kernel. Less graphics is better in this case IMO.
zeebra

Re: Mageia Kernel fun

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 11th, '18, 09:46

What is your actual question? You're stating that it works for you - "tested and proven time after time in all previous versions."
Then you ask if it does have certain advantages in Mageia over a "more traditional method" - what more traditional method in particular are you referring to?
Then you ask for kernel building tool of some sort, maybe a graphical interface. Afterwards you say that less graphics is better, so what do you actually want?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Jan 19th, '18, 15:05

I'm just wondering if this traditional method of building a custom kernel comes with some issues in Mageia. I have not noticed any myself, but I am no expert. Perhaps there are Kernel interfaces in Mageia which will not function as intended if you make your own Kernel like this.

Just wondering, since in many other distroes, this method breaks the distro, and in some other, it can create some interface issues, header issues etc.

No real question here, just trying to examine things.
zeebra

Postby JoesCat » Jan 25th, '18, 10:40

Hi zeebra,
Reading your OP - If you're satisfying your own curiosity, then I would say "no harm done - you're learning and experimenting".

...for the average user, or if you're thinking of the average user, I would say...
In terms of advantages,
You have the flexibility to customize things to fit certain needs you have. Nice to have.
In terms of disadvantages,
If you get stuck, you can't be too sure if it was something you accidently introduced, or if it is something within the code, plus you really don't have many people able/willing/capable to help you. If you have something useful to add/contribute, few others are willing to follow you down the same path/rabbit-hole-in-wonderland to gain whatever advantages you see/find...the best way to get your advantages out for everyone, is to bring them mainstream somehow.

....the disadvantages are worth mentioning as I've watched some impressive projects spiral dive into the ground (if you're a good programmer I highly recommend pushing your good ideas upstream), and I've used some non-mainstream operating systems and programs (and can say for fact that it is really hard to get/find help or info).

...In terms of your OP - you may find this short story interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession_(novella)
JoesCat

Postby zeebra » Jun 17th, '19, 14:17

Updated list of dependencies you (I) need to do this in Mageia:
(mostly a to-do reminder list)

gcc
lib64 ncurses devel
flex
bison
task-c++-devel
libfl
libelf-devel
libopenssl-devel
zeebra

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 17th, '19, 17:03

Or just simply install task-c++-devel which should bring nearly all of them in.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support