Crash. And. Burn.

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Crash. And. Burn.

Postby jiml8 » Jan 7th, '18, 04:47

An update to kernel 4.10.14 came through a few hours ago. I presume this has patches for meltdown and spectre. I hesitated about it because my workstation is AMD based, but I decided to go ahead with the update since I am not busy today.

So, I did it, and it went very badly.

The Nvidia driver would not compile. After several attempts, I finally ssh'ed into the workstation from my phone to see what was going on, and discovered that the Nvidia driver CUDA and DRM modules would not compile. I compiled the driver without those modules, but the display wouldn't start; I guess those modules are needed.

Naturally, this being a systemd box, I could not reach any of the consoles to do any of this, hence the phone. My laptop is presently fully committed on another project and I did not wish to disturb that.

So, I booted from an OpenSUSE USB stick that I have here, manually mounted my drives, and rolled back using rsync. Rolling back was easy enough, and I'm up again, but I guess I cannot update until Nvidia pushes a driver that will compile on 4.10.14. I presently have driver 384.90, which I obtained in order to update to Mageia 6 (earlier drivers wouldn't compile).
jiml8

Re: Crash. And. Burn.

Postby jkerr82508 » Jan 7th, '18, 08:29

nvidia-current version 384.98 is available:
http://advisories.mageia.org/MGAA-2018-0008.html

Your mirror may not be fully updated:
http://mirrors.mageia.org/status

kernel fixes for meltdown are currently being tested:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22334

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby jiml8 » Jan 7th, '18, 21:14

This post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12211
suggests that 384.98 won't work either. The symptoms he describes are similar to mine.
jiml8

Postby jiml8 » Jan 7th, '18, 21:19

NVidia is at driver 387.111. I don't know if this will work either, but given how quickly all of this has come up I think I will wait for their next driver before trying to upgrade again.
jiml8

Postby wintpe » Jan 10th, '18, 15:58

Jim
im running 4.14 with 384.98 no problem on a ryzen 1950x, asus prime x399 system.

and it did compile, and ive tried it with my old phenom II 1100T / 990FX system as well.

both work fine.

one with a 1070ti and one with a 560.

what hardware are you using nowadays.

When i first updated, pre the flush to updates from testing, i forgot the matching kernel-developer package which is required
is that installed on your system.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 18:40

jiml8 wrote:An update to kernel 4.10.14 came through a few hours ago. I presume this has patches for meltdown and spectre. I hesitated about it because my workstation is AMD based, but I decided to go ahead with the update since I am not busy today.

So, I did it, and it went very badly.

The Nvidia driver would not compile. After several attempts, I finally ssh'ed into the workstation from my phone to see what was going on, and discovered that the Nvidia driver CUDA and DRM modules would not compile. I compiled the driver without those modules, but the display wouldn't start; I guess those modules are needed.

Naturally, this being a systemd box, I could not reach any of the consoles to do any of this, hence the phone. My laptop is presently fully committed on another project and I did not wish to disturb that.

So, I booted from an OpenSUSE USB stick that I have here, manually mounted my drives, and rolled back using rsync. Rolling back was easy enough, and I'm up again, but I guess I cannot update until Nvidia pushes a driver that will compile on 4.10.14. I presently have driver 384.90, which I obtained in order to update to Mageia 6 (earlier drivers wouldn't compile).

You need to rescue your system. You need to login with root from the login terminal, 1 is it? The one requiring no password.

You best just configure a working Kernel immediately, using a simple VESA driver to get your desktop up and running. You can switch between this new Kernel and the old one, using Grub2, until you get the original back to work again.

Download a Kernel:
2. /usr/src -tar vxf linux
cd linux
make clean && make mrproper
(cp ../../.config /usr/src/linux/.config)
make menuconfig
save
make -j3 <--- 3 indicates cores you use to compile. If you have 8, use 6 or 7
make modules && make modules_install
make install

configure Grub, use grub 1 if necessary.
zeebra

Return to Advanced support