Mageia 6 CPU fan control not working on Toshiba Satellite

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Mageia 6 CPU fan control not working on Toshiba Satellite

Postby merlin » Dec 6th, '17, 13:38

I have been successfully using Mageia 5 on a Toshiba Satellite R630-135 laptop with 4GB RAM.

I am now evaluating Mageia 6. I replaced the Mageia 5 hard disk (I have kept this hard disk safe) with another hard disk and used the Mageia 6 64-bit live USB stick image to install Mageia 6.

I noted that the CPU fan was always running full speed when the Mageia 6 live image was running. When I booted Mageia 6 off the hard disk, the CPU fan goes to full speed just after "detecting new hardware" message during the boot-up. The CPU fan remained at full speed until either "suspend" or "hibernation" was selected in the plasma desktop environment. When the laptop was booted from "suspend" or "hibernation", the CPU fan always remained at slow speed.

The Mageia 6 kernel is v4.9.56 so I tried to build the kernel.org 4.4.92 kernel (matches Mageia 5 kernel) based on the .config settings of Mageia 6. I used "make menuconfig" to save the new .config file, I made no manual changes.

I booted the v4.9.56 kernel with the Mageia 6 userland and the CPU fan did not go to full speed during the boot-up sequence. However, I think the CPU fan speed is still not being dynamically controlled.

The CPU fan speed seemed to be dynamically controlled in Mageia 5. I might put the Mageia 5 hard disk back into the laptop to confirm that.

Any hints ? Did something change in Mageia 6 concerning CPU fan control or perhaps something failed to get installed ?

Thanks.
merlin

Re: Mageia 6 CPU fan control not working on Toshiba Satellit

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 6th, '17, 16:29

That might simply be slight differences in ACPI handling by the newer kernel, or simply different boot options used on mga5 and mga6 (and yes they even differ between live boot and regular install).
So you should compare those, and probably also take a look at journalctl -ab to check any ACPI/chipset/fan-specific stuff.

You probably should also try out some of the boot options and see if any improves this. See e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_set_u ... le_options for some examples.
E.g. the Toshiba that my parents use requires acpi_osi=Linux for the dynamic fan control IIRC.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 18:59

merlin wrote:I have been successfully using Mageia 5 on a Toshiba Satellite R630-135 laptop with 4GB RAM.

I am now evaluating Mageia 6. I replaced the Mageia 5 hard disk (I have kept this hard disk safe) with another hard disk and used the Mageia 6 64-bit live USB stick image to install Mageia 6.

I noted that the CPU fan was always running full speed when the Mageia 6 live image was running. When I booted Mageia 6 off the hard disk, the CPU fan goes to full speed just after "detecting new hardware" message during the boot-up. The CPU fan remained at full speed until either "suspend" or "hibernation" was selected in the plasma desktop environment. When the laptop was booted from "suspend" or "hibernation", the CPU fan always remained at slow speed.

The Mageia 6 kernel is v4.9.56 so I tried to build the kernel.org 4.4.92 kernel (matches Mageia 5 kernel) based on the .config settings of Mageia 6. I used "make menuconfig" to save the new .config file, I made no manual changes.

I booted the v4.9.56 kernel with the Mageia 6 userland and the CPU fan did not go to full speed during the boot-up sequence. However, I think the CPU fan speed is still not being dynamically controlled.

The CPU fan speed seemed to be dynamically controlled in Mageia 5. I might put the Mageia 5 hard disk back into the laptop to confirm that.

Any hints ? Did something change in Mageia 6 concerning CPU fan control or perhaps something failed to get installed ?

Thanks.

LOL, what a Luxury problem. In WIndows the fan is always on max speed.
zeebra

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 11th, '18, 09:48

zeebra wrote:LOL, what a Luxury problem. In WIndows the fan is always on max speed.

That is nonsense. And what does this actually contribute to the topic?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support