kernel panic !!!

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

kernel panic !!!

Postby emel_punk » Nov 16th, '17, 18:40

Cześć !!

Sadly, my Mageia 5 went into kernel panic. Fortunately I happen to have a second Linux (Centos) in the same HD but I went to look for information into Mageia logs and no luck... is there anything I could see or do to try to recover the system? because I have a lot of programs(Oracle, Asterisk, my own) and I work with them but if I have to reinstall I will loose my configurations.
emel_punk

Re: kernel panic !!!

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 16th, '17, 20:20

A kernel panic means the kernel crashed. You should be able to just reboot. What happens then?
Also, what were you doing when the kernel panic happened, a few more details would be appreciated and help others to help you.

Same applies for the other part, as you seem to already have looked in the Mageia filesystems, you only mentioned no luck ... but do the filesystems actually contain anything, at what logs did you look, and so on.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby emel_punk » Nov 16th, '17, 21:00

well.. every reboot it panics no matter what kernel I choose from the boot(because I upgrade months ago). So system is crashed. I looked up in /var/log/messages from my other OS
emel_punk

Postby gohlip » Nov 17th, '17, 05:06

Are you using Centos grub to boot Mageia?
If yes, let us know if Centos grub is grub2 or grub-legacy so we can find a way to boot correctly.
And the Mageia menuentry from there.

And if using Mageia bootloader to boot, let us know if using grub-legacy or grub2.
And the Mageia menuentry (one entry will do)
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Postby emel_punk » Nov 18th, '17, 21:10

I am using Mageia Grub, it is grub legacy apparently, the Mageia menuentry is something like

Kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=somelonguuid splash quiet noiswd resume=UUID=somelonguuid vga788
root (hd0,5)
initrd /boot/initrd.img
emel_punk

Postby gohlip » Nov 19th, '17, 07:38

emel_punk wrote:I am using Mageia Grub, it is grub legacy apparently, the Mageia menuentry is something like

Kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=somelonguuid splash quiet noiswd resume=UUID=somelonguuid vga788
root (hd0,5)
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Try changing it manually to

Code: Select all
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=somelonguuid  ro
initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-desktop.img

Assumptions/Notes
o No separate boot partition; /boot is in root /
o (hd0,5) is Mageia partition,
o One hard disk; if more than one, try also with (hd1,5) {and (hd2,5)} in above commands.
o vga=788. remove first. but if your monitor = or > 1024x768 use vga=791 when booted successfully without vga=
o your 'ro' is missing.
o yes, try without resume=xxxxxxxxxxx first. Recheck uuid of swap and ensure it is in /etc/fstab before putting it back if booted without. And correct uuid in /etc/default/grub, update-grub.
o remove noiswd; you most likely won't need it.
gohlip

Postby emel_punk » Nov 19th, '17, 19:29

Well still doesn't work.. seems like a bad file library or some. I had similar problem few months ago but I was able to boot on rescue and repair some files...

emel_punk

Postby gohlip » Nov 20th, '17, 04:31

Try with actual kernels instead of sym-links

Code: Select all
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.56-desktop-1.mga6 BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=somelonguuid  ro
initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-4.9.56-desktop-1.mga6.img

Replace above with your actual kernels.
This will work if the 'bad library' is the generation of sym-links of vmlinuz/vmlinuz-desktop or initrd.img/initrd-desktop.img.
And redo dracut if booted.

But of course, if it is due to other 'bad libraries', it still won't boot.
gohlip

Postby emel_punk » Nov 20th, '17, 21:16

So if no luck... I'll have to reinstall?
emel_punk

Postby gohlip » Nov 21st, '17, 02:56

Other than fsck /dev/sda6, I have no other idea.
But good luck.
gohlip

Postby emel_punk » Nov 21st, '17, 19:36

Many thanks fsck was my first option before posting here... I guess I'll have to re-install the system. Do widzenia
emel_punk

Postby benmc » Nov 22nd, '17, 02:27

do check the HDD power and interface connections.

a loose interface cable when shutting down the unit may have damaged the system beyond redemption.
booting into Centos in this case would carry the same risk of failure, as it may be just a random vibration disconnecting the interface or power cables to the HDD at a critical time.

also run, if installed, the s.m.a.r.t. monitor tool and check the HDD
benmc

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 19:12

emel_punk wrote:Cześć !!

Sadly, my Mageia 5 went into kernel panic.

By itself? I have a somewhat hard time believing that the code would just do that.
zeebra

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 19:13

Wait wait wait, this can be fixed. take it easy..

You still have this issue, or did you reinstall? Next time, rather try rescue mode and rescue your system. Install a new grub1 configuration and play around with this, and/or configure and new kernel.

PS. When you see "kernel panic" just never panic.
zeebra

Postby ChuangTzu » Jan 10th, '18, 22:07

was there any helpful text at the start of the "panic"?
For instance, after a new kernel I started receiving a "radeon panic" after resuming from suspend. There was a message at the top of the screen to run drakx11 to reconfigure X, then type systemctl default then systemctl reboot. That cleared up the panic from suspend. Not sure why it needed reconfiguring, but that did fix my problem.....so look closely and see if there are any hints. Also, what are you doing when the panic happens, or what did you do just before?
ChuangTzu

Return to Advanced support