Mga 6. Running Konqueror as root [Closed]

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Mga 6. Running Konqueror as root [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » Oct 30th, '17, 01:04

Does anyone know a way to run Konqueror in File manager mode, as root? in Mga 5 it's quite easy, but in Mga 6 it seems less easy. The command
Code: Select all
/usr/libexec/kf5/kdesu dolphin
will open Dolphin as root, and similarly
/user/libexec/kf5/kdesu konqueror
will run Konqueror as root, but in web browser mode. I'm well aware that I can then opt to go into file manager mode, but was hoping to go straight into file manager mode. The command
kfmclient openURL /home/'username'
will open Konqueror in file manager mode, as user, but not when combined into a command to open Konqueror directly as file manager as root.
Yes, I am quite aware that I can use Krusader as root, directly, but I prefer Konqueror
Last edited by rodgoslin on Nov 20th, '17, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: Mga 6. Running Konqueror as root

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 30th, '17, 02:05

You already forgot about your previous thread for that where you said it's working for you?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11732
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Oct 30th, '17, 02:38

Can I put it another way. This thread is subsequent to the other, and on a slightly differnt matter. What I am trying to do here is have a command, as in Mga5, which will open konqueror, as root, but in file manager mode. In my first post, I indicate that the first Code entry will open Dolphin as root, and similarly the second will open konqureor as root. The third Code entry will open Konqueror in file manager mode, something I did not know in my earlier post. Logically, substituting that in the command to open Konqueror as root, should work, but it does not. The command exits normally but without carrying out the command to open Konqueror. Running it in a shell has the same effect.
Returning to my earlier post, I commented on the absence of the side bar in the Plasma version of KDE. I've subsequently found a post (I'm apparently not alone in missing the side bar aoption), where it's mentioned that KDE had not solved the problems in adding the side bar, in Plasma, when KDE Plasma was released. So, a later version may well include the option.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Nov 1st, '17, 19:32

I've been doing some experimenting, since my last post, and have come up with a command which does, in fact, work properly. Though how the others do not, is beyond me. The new (working) command is :-
/usr/libexec/kf5/kdesu konqueror /home/username
, or wherever you want Konqueror to open. The lack of a sidebar is something that I'll have to live with, until KDE bring it back. So far it all looks good. I've not identified anything that the old could do that the new does not, so far. So, the way is open for me to migrate to Mga6.
The only glitch remaining, is a problem with mounting some external cifs drives through the Control Centre. Which, I suppose, will be the subject of another thread
rodgoslin

Postby wintpe » Nov 2nd, '17, 17:21

an odd topic for advanced forum.

First id like to say that everyone is entitled to do what they like on their own machines, so while i find what you are doing is really poor practice, i don't condone you for doing so, its your machine, you trash it, you get to keep all the pieces.

but please dont let this be an example of how to show others how to go about using linux.

Theres a cli and elevation of privileges, to carry out this kind of action.

using any kind of file manager as root, is like rock climbing without a safety line.

eventually you will slip.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby rodgoslin » Nov 2nd, '17, 18:05

My, my, Peter. Having, at one time, been a System Administrater on a Solaris system, I do tend to agree with you that root access is for admin only. However, in my case, I have two Drobo storage units (and a Transporter), which oddly, run on Linux. But, Data Robotics do not intend that these be used on Linux, and consequently, although I can mount them, and thereby read files held on them, I cannot write to them. Which as a Mageia user renders them somewhat useless. However, as root, I can write to these. So, although I can use command line systems to transfer files, etc, it is so much more convenient to use the very good file manager Konqueror for that purpose. Equally oddly, I have recently discovered that my Android 'phone, as Windows, has no problems with Drobo units. Mac's I have no experience of, but are, I believe supported by Drobo.
But back to your diatribe. On an earlier thread on this matter, it was suggested to me, by no less a person than the Herr Doktor 5000, that I use Krusader, another KDE file manager, for my purpose, which, as installed has the option of being run as root. I did install it, and use it and it works. But I didn't like it as much as Konqueror, and dropped it. So KDE support my case, and do not require me to use a safety line.

Cheers, Rod
rodgoslin

Postby wintpe » Nov 2nd, '17, 18:36

can you not add your userid rod im guessing as a user of the group that the files on the drobo are owned by.

when you list the to level directory on the drobo what do the files have as ownership/uid/permissions on them.

im guessing its some kind of samba based server message block system so it must have users to share files as

http://dashboardhelp.drobo.com/guide/25 ... Shares.htm

https://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/tag/file-transporter/

so that seems to concur what im saying.

and so root only access should not be required.

i have an equivalent to a drobo, a centos server running samba and had similar issues.

but they are resolvable.

there are a few options if possible to get at the settings of the samba system running on the drobo that can also make it more likly to work, around the sharing, and mapping of anonymous.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 2nd, '17, 19:36

rodgoslin wrote:On an earlier thread on this matter, it was suggested to me, by no less a person than the Herr Doktor 5000, that I use Krusader, another KDE file manager, for my purpose, which, as installed has the option of being run as root. I did install it, and use it and it works. But I didn't like it as much as Konqueror, and dropped it. So KDE support my case, and do not require me to use a safety line.

I've just taken a pragmatic approach, as it's useless to try to persuade users from shooting themselves in their foot, as the majority will always take the lazy route and usually not care about security.
Hence even when I provided an alternative that may work, does not imply that I condone such an approach.
So please do not quote me like that in a context that makes it seem like that is the case.

In the thread you reference, in the very same post that mentions krusader this is what I wrote at the end:

doktor5000 wrote:You may want to have a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/6 ... ges_whats/ and maybe https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... s-as-root/ for an alternative.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Nov 2nd, '17, 20:07

The files on the Drobo are all owned by root, with r,w,x access. Group and world have only r and x access. So there's not much point in adding myself to the group. Which, anyway would require root access. Your suggestion for using the Dashboard to create shares, I believe, only applies to the Drobo5N. I recently bought one of these to complement my Drobo-FS, and hopefully to replace a rather aged second generation Drobo. Dashboard can only run AFAIK, on a Windows machine. And while I do actually have one of these dreadful machines, I do not wish to use it to overcome the shortcomings of Drobo on Linux. My solution, I thought was simple, and directly in line with normal use, in transferring files and doing the usual housework. And, as I pointed out in my previous post, fully condoned by KDE, in their parallel product Krusader.

Cheers, Rod
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Nov 20th, '17, 03:36

Well, as a result of some associated matters, the creation of a Konqueror file manager under root, is not quite the neccessity that it was. I discovered, in a Peppermint wiki, on SMB shares, that one could become an SMB user, with full access read and write, by appending 'uid=XXX,gid=YYY' onto the appropriate mount instruction in /etc/fstab. At least, it worked on the machine I was trying Mga6 on. So, all my Drobo's can be written to as myself as user. So I'm considering the issue 'Closed'
rodgoslin

Return to Advanced support