[SOLVED] Virtualbox -enabling virtualization.

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Virtualbox -enabling virtualization.

Postby laidlaws » Oct 8th, '17, 09:20

My host system has an Intel i5 running on a Gigabyte motherboard. Distro is the Xfce Live DVD, installed. I have a problem with running a Win7 program in Virtualbox. A previous installation on the generic Mga 6 Official DVD didn't have this.

On the previous system, I had virtualization enabled in the UEFI, but optional in Virtualbox. Now I can't deselect virtualization in VB, This may not be my problem, but I need to test both ways.

Virtualization that I have enabled is Vt-d. Is that correct? There is no Vt-x.

[SOLVED] The file was too big to handle.[/SOLVED]
Last edited by laidlaws on Oct 9th, '17, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
laidlaws

Re: Virtualbox -enabling virtualization.

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 8th, '17, 10:25

laidlaws wrote:I have a problem with running a Win7 program in Virtualbox.

Which problem would that be in particular?

laidlaws wrote:Virtualization that I have enabled is Vt-d. Is that correct? There is no Vt-x.

That depends on the features of the processor used, the BIOS/UEFI settings and also whether you have an x86_64 or i586 install.

Apart from that, I can only disable VT-x, nothing about VT-d selectable in VirtualBox.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby laidlaws » Oct 8th, '17, 11:33

1 The problem: Family Tree Maker Hints window (contains a Web page) continually refreshes a Login screen, although I am already logged in. It sounds like a Windows problem, but I am running the same .vdi file, and it wasn't there before.

System is 64-bit. Vt-d is in the BIOS. VirtualBox has Vt-x enabled, but if I uncheck it, I get an "invalid config" warning, and it is put right back. I just want to exclude anything outside VB.

(BTW: VirtualBox really needs a metapackage. Half the requirements are under Virtualbox, and half under vbox, and only a few get pulled in.)
laidlaws

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 8th, '17, 13:19

laidlaws wrote:(BTW: VirtualBox really needs a metapackage. Half the requirements are under Virtualbox, and half under vbox, and only a few get pulled in.)

Why? You only need to install dkms-virtualbox, that's it. You don't want the vboxadditions on the host, only in the guest.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby laidlaws » Oct 8th, '17, 14:49

The problem seems to be confined to one family tree, my biggest. It didn't happen under Windows 10, so I took it for granted that it was the system at fault, One other tree was O.K. I will check them all, then mark the thread "invalid."
laidlaws

Postby laidlaws » Oct 9th, '17, 00:12

It is only that one tree. I have allocated just over 4 GB (of 8) to the VM, and set Win7 for best performance (less eye-candy) and it still happens. RAM usage on Win7's desktop thingy never goes over 32%, but the problem is definitely NOT in Mageia. Sorry to have disturbed your Sunday, Doktor.
laidlaws

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 9th, '17, 07:47

laidlaws wrote:Sorry to have disturbed your Sunday, Doktor.

Don't worry, glad I could help somehow :)
----
doktor5000

Postby laidlaws » Apr 18th, '20, 02:20

doktor5000 wrote:
laidlaws wrote:(BTW: VirtualBox really needs a metapackage. Half the requirements are under Virtualbox, and half under vbox, and only a few get pulled in.)

Why? You only need to install dkms-virtualbox, that's it. You don't want the vboxadditions on the host, only in the guest.

True. I run Virtualbox as a host, and Windows 8.1 as a guest. Virtualbox itself requires me to install the "Guest Additions" package, so I was installing both the Mga RPM and the CD from the Virtualbox site, On every bootup, Mageia rebuilt the vboxadditions driver, although the online docs say that it needs to be done only with a kernel change.

I uninstalled the Mageia Guest Additions RPM; that showed no change. I uninstalled the corresponding DKMS RPM, and the problem disappeared. DKMS was probably putting back its own additions, every time.
laidlaws

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 18th, '20, 15:37

laidlaws wrote:True. I run Virtualbox as a host, and Windows 8.1 as a guest. Virtualbox itself requires me to install the "Guest Additions" package

virtualbox does *not* require to install guest additions. Sure it's nice to have but it's not a requirement.

laidlaws wrote:so I was installing both the Mga RPM and the CD from the Virtualbox site

But why? Use either one *or* the other, otherwise you're basically just asking for problems.
Also, again as you mentioned it - if the Mageia box is the host, you don't need to install guest additions there at all.

laidlaws wrote:uninstalled the Mageia Guest Additions RPM; that showed no change. I uninstalled the corresponding DKMS RPM, and the problem disappeared. DKMS was probably putting back its own additions, every time.

This is also only either one *or* the other. Either you use the dkms package, or the others - virtualbox-guest-additions + x11-driver-video-vboxvideo. But if you use Mageia as a guest, both of the latter are preinstalled.
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support