[RESOLVED]Thinkpad W530 Nvidia/Intel Optimus Graphics ...

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[RESOLVED]Thinkpad W530 Nvidia/Intel Optimus Graphics ...

Postby duncangareth » Apr 24th, '16, 19:53

Greetings

I have a Thinkpad W530 with Nvidia Optimus/Intel graphics chips. I used to have a W510, and I managed to get a high resolution (1920x1080) output on the notebook screen and 1920x1200 resolution on an external Dell 24" screen. I was only able to achieve this configuration using the nouveau X11 driver. The proprietary "nvidia" driver never gave me the high resolution on the notebook screen. The most I could get was 1600x900.

I have had similar results with the W530, but only after again using the nouveau driver and after running "intel-virtual-output".

Is it possible to get similar results using the proprietary "nvidia" driver? I understand that the W530 and the W520 have a more advanced graphics setup compared to the W510.

I did have a discussion with doktor5000 on this subject with respect to the W510 a few years ago. What I should like to know if any of the members of this forum have had any successes in this regard. I have read various articles on the subject, mainly referring to Ubuntu and the like, but I am curious as to whether any Mageia wizards have had a chance to explore this matter.
duncangareth

Re: [RESOLVED]Thinkpad W530 Nvidia/Intel Optimus Graphics ..

Postby duncangareth » Oct 27th, '18, 09:29

This problem has been resolved in current releases of the kernel and nvidia proprietary drivers, it seems. I am now able to achieve the higher resolution output, and I have managed to get it to behave well with two external monitors, one running off the VGA port and the other running off the DisplayPort. The secret is to disable Optimus support in the BIOS and set the mode to Discrete Graphics. I have the abovementioned Dell display set to 1920x1200 and the laptop screen and an old Sinotec TV set to 1920x1080. The System Settings tool does not always pick up the displays, but I find that arandr works well.
duncangareth

Return to Advanced support