[SOLVED]Warning: couldn't find charset .. locale en_GB ...

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED]Warning: couldn't find charset .. locale en_GB ...

Postby fossiili » Sep 12th, '15, 10:22

I installed the new Mageia 5 Gnome making a cd-installdisk from LINUX FORMAT's Summer 2015 dvd coverdisk. I am a Finn and have a Finnish keyboard and the installation went well and Mageia 5 seems to work well.

But the Terminal did not start what ever I did from the Gnome desktop. "That happens" so I installed an other terminal program Xterm and started it with the result:
Code: Select all
Warning: couldn't find charset data for locale en_GB; using ISO 8859-1.
[hessu@localhost ~]€ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
[hessu@localhost ~]€
:o
Somehow Mageia has lost my administrative password although I had already successfully used it when starting MCC :shock:

The easy way is to download the Mageia 5 install DVD and install again. But is there some other thing I could do :?:
Last edited by fossiili on Sep 18th, '15, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
fossiili

Re: Warning: couldn't find charset .. locale en_GB ...

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 12th, '15, 13:36

What is your question exactly about? The issue that the terminal does not start, the issue about that locale message, or the issue about su not recognising your root password?

When you say administrative password, did you provide your user password or the root password?
In case it was the root password, and in case this is reproducible, you should reset it. Explained here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6346

For the locale message, please post the output as normal user of
rpm -qa|grep locale
locale
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby fossiili » Sep 13th, '15, 15:28

Thank's to your advice in viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6346 my problem with administrative password is solved :mrgreen:

But the problem with Terminal not starting and Xterm giving a strange warning persist. I tried to solve it by setting my locale using MCC but found the following problem:

My home country were I live is Finland. Neither is Finland mentioned nor any other Nordic country except Denmark. But I do not like them because they are so selfish people so I chose GB although I do not think Englishmen be much more nice ....

I wonder:
1. Is it possible to solve the mess with the character set locale being GB but in the same time the keyboard Finnish or is it the problem :?:
2. Do you recommend that I do the installation again downloading the Mageia 5 x86 or i586 DVD etc. It might be the easy way for all of us :ugeek:
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 13th, '15, 16:16

fossiili wrote:1. Is it possible to solve the mess with the character set locale being GB but in the same time the keyboard Finnish or is it the problem :?:

Sure, keyboard layout is completely separate from language/locale. Question is what do you actually want to configure.
FWIW the language/locale does not set the keyboard layout.
fossiili wrote:2. Do you recommend that I do the installation again downloading the Mageia 5 x86 or i586 DVD etc. It might be the easy way for all of us :ugeek:

No, as you will get to the same point where you need to select your language, keyboard layout and locale.

Best do the following: First configure your keyboard layout via keyboarddrake from MCC: http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content ... drake.html
Then best install locales-fi and run localedrake from MCC: http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content ... drake.html
Then reboot, open a terminal and please post here the output of
locale
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby fossiili » Sep 13th, '15, 22:07

Thank you! It's midnight here and better I do not anything before sleeping awhile :|
fossiili

Postby fossiili » Sep 14th, '15, 10:03

do the following: First configure your keyboard layout via keyboarddrake from MCC: http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content ... drake.html
Then best install i and run localedrake from MCC: http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content ... drake.html
Then reboot, open a terminal and please post here the output of" locale"
1. The keyboard is already Finnish.
2. Unfortunately MCC does not offer Finland for my country so I chose GB. To install locales-fi - as a program (?), That packet does not exist, according to MCC. How could I try that in terminal?
3. The answer to locale is Great Britten I do not mind to write the output down here, because for strange reason the copy-paste does not work with no one of the terminals I have installed:
    Terminal
    Xterminal
    Eterm
    Aterm
    Mrxvt
Wich one would work with Mageia :?:

I like Mageia. And I can wait for some update and transfer texts to file etc. But because copy-paste works with other programs, why not in terminals :o
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 14th, '15, 18:53

fossiili wrote:2. Unfortunately MCC does not offer Finland for my country so I chose GB.

Yes, as it only offers the languages for the locales- packages that are installed. This is why our live media have all locales- packages installed by default,
to allow users to choose among most of the supported languages. And this is why I said to first install locales-fi, or Finnish will not show in localedrake ;)

fossiili wrote:To install locales-fi - as a program (?), That packet does not exist, according to MCC. How could I try that in terminal?

To install it via MCC, you need to set the filter from "Packages with GUI" to all packages, this is explained here:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Install_and_ ... re_Manager
and here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... e_software
and here: http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/ ... html#d4e65

Commandline way would be simply
urpmi locales-fi

fossiili wrote:3. The answer to locale is Great Britten I do not mind to write the output down here, because for strange reason the copy-paste does not work with no one of the terminals I have installed:
    Terminal
    Xterminal
    Eterm
    Aterm
    Mrxvt
Wich one would work with Mageia :?:

I like Mageia. And I can wait for some update and transfer texts to file etc. But because copy-paste works with other programs, why not in terminals :o

Depends how you try in terminal? Ctrl+Shift+C to copy and Ctrl+Shift+V to insert should work. How do you do it?
And, important question - this is a physical installation, not some virtualbox VM or similar virtualised thing?
----
doktor5000

Postby fossiili » Sep 14th, '15, 20:05

Thanks again! To do the easy first: I started Xterm again and "locale" and marked the test. Unfortunately Ctrl+Shift+C to copy and Ctrl+Shift+V did not transfer the text from Xterm, but it works here in this forum when I paste-copy some text. Otherwise I prefer to use Shift+Delete and Shift+Insert.
There might be a better terminal somewhere :roll:

And my computer here is a large old box :|
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 14th, '15, 20:49

What about when you use the Edit menu in the terminal? Or mouse right-click context menu? Or use the X clipboard, simply mark it as usually via mouse, and paste it somewhere else via middle-mouse click?

For terminals, I'd recommend either konsole or gnome-terminal. The one that you have on top of your list, Terminal, is probably konsole. You can check it via Help menu -> about Konsole.
----
doktor5000

Postby fossiili » Sep 15th, '15, 10:41

For some strange reason, no one of the terminals Terminal, Xterminal, Eterm, Aterm and Mrxvt I have in my Mageia, have Edit menu on the top of the window. The mouse right-click context menu does not appear.

For a working terminal, neither gnome-terminal nor konsole exist in MCC > Software Management > All > Not installed or All > Terminals. listing. But if I start mrxvt-terminal and "urpmi gnome-terminal" the answer is "Package gnome-terminal-3.14.2-1.mga5.i586 is already installed". Then I typed "gnome-terminal" the answer is about:
Error constructing proxy for org.gnome. Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: The connection is closed

But from MCC I found xfce4-terminal not installed yet. What about if I install mageia-xfce-config - Mageia Xfce configuration files​ :?:
My old computer probably works better in xfce4-environment than Gnome :idea:
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 15th, '15, 18:58

Sorry, but I have a gut feelign that something in your installation is fundamentally broken, if copy&paste does not work,
and also the menu bar is not present. Also that you can't start gnome-terminal ...

And for gnome-terminal and konsole - are you sure you set the filter to "All packages" as explained previously?
In case you did, seems you don't have a full set of repositories configured. Check the previously linked wiki article on how to do that:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... ia_sources

Sure you can try XFCE - but best install task-xfce for an XFCE desktop, but for that you'd need a full set of repos, see above.

An easier test would be to run some Mageia live DVD media, and configure it to use Finnish language.

edit doktor5000: Actually, I just tested that and it works fine - finnish language, finnish locale and US keyboard. See:
Bildschirmfoto2_193.png
Bildschirmfoto2_193.png (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

Bildschirmfoto2_194.png
Bildschirmfoto2_194.png (48.11 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

Bildschirmfoto2_195.png
Bildschirmfoto2_195.png (351.52 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
----
doktor5000

Postby fossiili » Sep 15th, '15, 20:12

"An easier test would be to run some Mageia live DVD media, and configure it to use Finnish language" - I will download the Mageia x86 DVD etc. 8-)
Sorry for the trouble.
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 15th, '15, 20:20

In my case, it was Mageia-5-LiveDVD-KDE4-x86_64-DVD.
----
doktor5000

[SOLVED] Warning: couldn't find charset .. locale en_GB ...

Postby fossiili » Sep 16th, '15, 20:12

I downloaded the Mageia x586 DVD and installed a complete new Mageia Gnome from it. Now everything works well :mrgreen:

The Gnome desktop is perhaps a bit too hevy for my computer with Pentium 4, 2,80 Ghz processor and 1 Gb memory. So I start the installation of Xfce desktop, but send my questions to a new topic,
fossiili

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '15, 20:40

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support