Migrate from SSD to M2 - dual boot

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Migrate from SSD to M2 - dual boot

Postby mackowiakp » Dec 1st, '21, 17:39

I have installed a new motherboard to the PC. It is equipped with a 1TB M2 PCIe NVMe disk.
In the same PC I have a 500 GB SSD SATA disk and a "regular" HDD 2TB.
I have the dual-boot WIN10 and Linux Mageia 8 systems installed on the SSD and the data for both systems on the HDD.
Boot is legacy mode, SSD and HDD partitions are "DOS" type. The M2 disk is not used yet.
I would like to migrate SSD to M2.
Of course I can boot my PC from Knoppix and do "dd" from SSD to M2 for example.
The problem, however, is that the device names are different. SSDs and HDDs are /dev/sda or /dev/sdb and the M2 disk is /dev/nvme0n1.
Of course I can change fstab entries but that is not enough for a correct dual boot.
How can I - and is it even feasible - without reinstalling both systems from scratch?
Another issue is the transition from legacy to UEFI, which is necessary for WIN to WIN11 migration.
Has anyone performed such activities and what is the easiest way to do it?
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Re: Migrate from SSD to M2 - dual boot

Postby jiml8 » Dec 2nd, '21, 17:06

It has been more than 20 years since I experienced the sheer joy of moving a Windows installation :roll: . That is how long it has been since I virtualized my windows installations, and since that time I have run them in vmware workstation, and moving them around has represented no problem at all.

So, I cannot help you with that aspect of your problem, particularly because it is part of a dual boot setup.

I did, in just the last few weeks, migrate my Mageia installation from an SSD booting with grub and mbr to an m2 booting with grub2 on gpt. I was trying to get uefi boot working but at this time I have not succeeded in that. The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14378

Perhaps it will help you a bit. Perhaps not.

As I write this, my Win 10 virtual machine is sitting quietly running on this system, and it is UEFI boot and waiting on the Win 11 update. I have found that, given plenty of RAM and a modern CPU, Win 10 runs very nicely in vmware workstation and I have a lot more control over what it does and who it talks to than I would have if it was a native bare-metal install or a dual boot install. You might want to consider virtualizing your installation and moving away from the dual boot.

Good luck. And, if you succeed, please document how you did it here.
jiml8

Return to Advanced support