Issue: installer/grub when using separate /boot (noformat)

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Issue: installer/grub when using separate /boot (noformat)

Postby zeebra » Jul 28th, '21, 01:22

Issues with Mageia installer/grub when using an existing and seperate /boot partition and not formating it during installation.
Howdy, this will sound idiotic, because I don't remember HOW it failed exactly and with what error message, but I'm fairly confident this problem can be reproduced consistently (hopefully not just by me). It affects Mageia 7 and Mageia 8 AT LEAST (maybe6?).. If my memory serves me right, this issue was introduced with the new Mageia installer (UEFI/Mageia6?)..

Issue: A new installation of Mageia will fail to boot after installation if you install it with a previously used /boot partition without formatting it.
Note on boot settings: legacy BIOS/traditional using a separate /boot partition

This issue is the same if /boot partition is only used by Mageia or by several distroes. Installing Mageia and using a seperate and previously used /boot partition will create conditions where a new and fresh installation of Mageia will fail to boot. If you during Mageia installation format the separate /boot partition booting the newly installed Mageia will succeed.

Just a guess.. As far as I remember Grub fails to find the Kernel and can't boot. Edit. I think perhaps Grub fails to install at all and the old grub remains

So, I can't fairly remember when I first had this issue, but I did have it with Mageia 7. I didn't understand this isse back then or how I "solved" it, but I had it several times (yes, I installed Mageia 7 several times). This issue came back to me when I moved from Mageia 7 to Mageia 8. Installing Mageia 8, it failed to boot, but then I by instinct remember that if I format the /boot partition, it should boot. And guess what, it did! This leads me to think this issue is not just me, but an issue with the installer in Mageia 7 and Mageia 8, for people who use a separate /boot partition. Not many people do that these days, sure, but some do.

Steps to reproduce:
- Use a laptop with lagacy BIOS option set in UEFI
- Install Mageia with /boot and encrypted / (and /home), this installation will work!
- Install Mageia again with the same partition setup, but only format / --- this installation should fail to boot

Not sure the encrypted part is relevant, but I added it just in case. You could probably reproduce it without using encrypted / as well.
zeebra

Re: Issue: installer/grub when using separate /boot (noforma

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 28th, '21, 18:13

Can you mention any use case where it would make sense to reinstall, format / but not a separate /boot partition? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Jul 29th, '21, 01:31

doktor5000 wrote:Can you mention any use case where it would make sense to reinstall, format / but not a separate /boot partition? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

That's just an example to reproduce the issue.

But this issue would show up for example if you have Mageia 7 installed, then procede to install Mageia 8 without formating /boot, for those who install from cd/usb instead of using the upgrade path. Or any reinstall of Mageia 7/7, 7/8, 8/8 to / for whatever reason.

Or did you mean /boot? Is it abnormal to not format /boot if you use a seperate /boot partition?
zeebra

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 29th, '21, 18:42

zeebra wrote:Is it abnormal to not format /boot if you use a seperate /boot partition?

Yes. How do you ensure that what's in the /boot partition matches what you install afterwards?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Jul 30th, '21, 05:03

Can you further explain your reasoning? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. What about matching?

I've not had problems using a separate and persistent /boot partition before and sharing this between several distroes. What tends to happen is that the distro just adds the Kernel image and files and replace/update the grub files/folders. Not sure how that is an issue. For Mageia, is it not basically the same thing to do regular updates (with kernel) = add a new kernel and update grub in an existing setup and /boot? Is that not what one should expect to happen during an installation as well?

What exactly is Mageia doing with /boot during an installation? Is it doing some unexpected magic?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 30th, '21, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
zeebra

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 30th, '21, 16:44

For one, sharing a /boot partition between distros is not a good idea in the first place. How do you "share" bootloader configuration among distros? Sorry but that's a recipe for disaster and not a valid use case.

Feel free to go ahead with that and raise a bug report if you wish, but it still doesn't make sense.
----
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Jul 30th, '21, 23:45

Well, the bootloader can be a bit impractical, especially with distroes that insist on installing one. But generally you let one distro control the bootloader.
But, are you saying that /boot always has to be formatted && that it cannot be shared between distroes (which it can't if it has to be formatted)? I don't see how that is so when it just bascally contains a bunch of Kernel images and the bootloader files. It's not a magic partition that does something special. Not counting the bootloader files it's entirely static.

I've never had any disasters with such a setup, in fact, it has rather helped me avoid disasters and get me out of some other disasters. I'm not going to file a bug report if you don't think it's a valid use case. But I would add that this kind of setup always worked prior to the new installer (that was with Mageia 6 if I remember right).

A seperate /boot is a bit abnormal in the first place, ok. And I don't depend on it or have to have it, but.. Are you saying if you have 2 or 3 distroes with a seperate /boot, that you should create 3 partitions just for /boot, one for each of them? That seems like more potential for disaster as far as I am concerned.

I'm aways interested in your take on things, so please let's go into details if you don't mind.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 31st, '21, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
zeebra

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 31st, '21, 17:58

zeebra wrote:Are you saying if you have 2 or 3 distroes with a seperate /boot, that you should create 3 partitions just for /boot, one for each of them?

Why do you use a separate /boot partition in the first place ? And in general if you use multiple distros, have the bootloader for each of those installed in their / partition, and keep only one "master" bootloader which chainloads the others, that way you don't mix up bootloader configuration.
BTW you also use separate / partitions for multiple distros, and there's also no potential for disaster from that.

But if you need or want to use a separate /boot partition, then yes you should have one for each of them. Keep in mind that generated bootloader configuration is also stored below /boot and you cannot share those.
Each distro has specific kernel / boot options or quirks, and keeping only one /boot for several distros can break of lot of stuff and introduce additional issues.
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support