Good and Bad

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Good and Bad

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 11th, '19, 04:35

OK we now have Mageia 7 - at last! I would like to raise the following comments/observations ==>

A) I thought I had saved a draft message a couple of days ago; where on earth do drafts "live" on this website?

B) Good : on my laptop using Mageia 6 I failed for months to connect to wifi at home and only sporadically away from home; I have now been able to connect with M7. Hoorah!

C) Bad : I use xampp (linux : lampp) for a data management project. It installs and runs perfectly on M6; the identical code and database will not work with M7. Why? Plain frustrating. Can someone please check the lampp installation using M7.

D) This one is now redundant : I was going to complain about M7 suddenly not booting (a three-line message which I was going to spell out). Just observed that M7 eventually appeared. Why the delay? Sorry I can't be more specific.

MikeFinch - PS I have just noticed "Load draft" and "Save draft"; answers my A)! :)
MikeFinch

Re: Good and Bad

Postby ITA84 » Jul 11th, '19, 09:28

A) EDIT: didn't see your PS, nevermind

B) that's nice to hear ^^

As for C and D, I'd suggest you make separate topics and add some more details so people might help you (I suppose D isn't a problem anymore, but if it does happen again don't be afraid to ask for help)
ITA84

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 13th, '19, 03:48

Thankyou ITA84 ==>

OK will try another topic for xampp - using M6 alright at the moment though I'd like to use M7.

I am revisiting D). This morning I failed several times to boot M7 on [this] Dell Inspiron laptop. Frustrating. A three-line (possibly the same as the one I mentioned previously) appears. As follows:
"[ [some letters and numbers] Unexpected ACPI:SPCR:Access Width Defaulting to byte siz [next line] e
[ [slan] mei mei [slan] Could not read FW version
[[ditto to mei] FW version command failed -5"
Later on this additionally appeared : [[slan] brcmsmac bcma 0:1:brcms_ops_start:brcms_up() returned [slan - I think] 132.
Sometimes the splash screen appeared (boiling couldron) and then back to those 3 lines.

Now hear this : I decided to clear some dust at the top of my touchpad by using my thumbnail - the main M7 screen suddenly appeared!!!. What the h... happened??

As a relevant point - a couple of days ago I received an email from Broadcom about a new linux driver. I don't know how to install it unfortunately.
I have had Mageia messages for years stating that Broadcom is inoperative and I use the alternative. Also the above error lines appear to be referencing Broadcom.
For ages I have muttered under my breath about Mageia's inability to handle wifi properly (btw once again ethernet has worked instantly).

Does the info above give you some idea about what is going on, please? Maybe a solution will fix the (apparent Broadcom) problem(s) for good.
MikeFinch

Postby martinw » Jul 13th, '19, 12:22

Your problem D may be the system is waiting for the random number generator to be initialised. This normally only occurs if you have an older CPU which doesn't have a hardware random number generator and you have replaced your hard disk with a SSD. The system wants some truly random numbers to seed its random number generator. Hitting the Enter key a few times or moving the mouse provides these. Does that consistently fix the slow boot for you?

I sympathise with your Broadcom WiFi problems. I used to have a laptop with a Broadcom WiFi adapter, and it was a lottery whether WiFi would work or not with each kernel/driver update. I had to keep switching between the proprietary and free driver, as sometimes one would work, sometimes the other (and sometimes neither :-( ). My solution was to replace the WiFi adapter with an Intel one.
martinw

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 14th, '19, 02:32

Thankyou martinw for your response.

Yes I replaced the original HD with a SSD. Didn't know about the random number business, so will press the enter key a few times next time I have the problem (don't use a mouse). I will let my linux meeting (SSD) friends know about this (http://fridaycouncil.orgfree.com).

Would you mind expanding on "replace the WiFi adapter with an Intel one"? Do you have an opinion on the new Broadcom linux driver?
MikeFinch

Postby martinw » Jul 14th, '19, 10:26

Tapping or brushing the touchpad should also work to seed the random number generator.

In my old laptop, the WiFi adaptor was on a small plugin card, which could be accessed by removing a panel on the rear cover. Some versions of that laptop came with a Broadcom card, others with an Intel card, so I knew the Intel one would work. IIRC, I bought one off eBay. Unplugged the old card, plugged in the new one, and it worked straight away.

I made sure my current laptop didn't have Broadcom WiFi, so can't comment on the latest drivers.
martinw

Postby johnpenguin » Jul 16th, '19, 04:26

The Atheros chips work pretty well as well and you can find them at really attractive prices.
johnpenguin

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 17th, '19, 01:51

OK johnpenguin : I will consult my linux group next Friday; it is my presentation day!

GOOD : My original C) was nonsense. I have discovered how to create/change the password in phpmyadmin; the option is somewhat hidden in phpmyadmin's menu structure. So lampp works!

BAD (AGAIN) : On my original B) : I managed to connect to wifi for 4 or 5 days and then lost it again (after using the Council's free wifi Friday morning). The system is picking up zilch now : a blank screen, even after refreshing. I simply don't understand what goes wrong. Can anyone help? Ethernet works perfectly.
MikeFinch

Return to The Wizards Lair