[Solved]Hybrid Iso's

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved]Hybrid Iso's

Postby dwhite » May 3rd, '15, 16:26

I don't think this is a problem with the ISO but it might be. I've just changed from an Asus M5 78L-MLX3, because it started to reboot continually. I've reused the CPU an AMD FX4130 and two sticks of Crucial DDR3 16 GB in all I've put them on a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 in a new case and another 16GB of Kingston memory, but I cannot get the USB ISO of M5 to boot. I'm at a loss I was trying to stop buying DVD-R's as many things have bootable SD's now.
Last edited by dwhite on May 5th, '15, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Re: Hybrid Iso's

Postby doktor5000 » May 4th, '15, 01:23

As always, you're missing basic details. What image did you use, and on what media did you put it (usb flash drive, SD card, DVD ...) Furthermore, can you boot anything else on the new gigabyte motherboard?

Apart from that, all Mageia images are hybrid since a long time, so I don't understand how the title of this thread relates to your issue.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby filip » May 4th, '15, 08:21

doktor5000 wrote:... on what media did you put it ...

And how ;)?
filip

Postby dwhite » May 4th, '15, 11:39

So you'll think it's more likely the media. It was a media type I'd been using for ages with the Asus ,an 'intenso' that Mageia seems to call a Rainbow line the Gigabyte board's bios doesn't actually list Flash's separately there all types of USB HDD. You'll think it's more likely the media, that didn't cross my mind.
With isodumper.
Last edited by dwhite on May 4th, '15, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » May 4th, '15, 11:49

So you put an image with isodumper to an Intenso USB flash drive, if I interpret your reply correctly.
Still leaves two questions open. If you don't answer them, can't help you.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » May 4th, '15, 15:43

I've tried to describe as succinctly as I can my system and then the media(which I had forgotten). Anyway having read your answer I've ordered some more USB sticks. the Image was M5 DVD-64, the DVD does boot media written on that actual Drive in fact M4.1 live 64 boots too, so it looks like USB flash sticks are just like DVD's to boot they have to be Exactly compatible
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » May 5th, '15, 00:21

Exactly compatible to what?

Did you try to boot any other box with that M5 DVD-64 which doesn't boot with the new board?
----
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » May 5th, '15, 10:45

I've just tested them! They failed on my old Netbooks that the media has worked many times. At least that example of me leaping to conclusions on insufficient data hasn't cost me much. So now We know isodumper had failed Not the media, I suppose it could be both. I need to obtain a bootable stick, the box is M5 RC but had many updates applied since the rebuild.
Can the Hybrid ISO be put on an SD for example?
dwhite

Re: [Solved]Hybrid Iso's

Postby dwhite » May 5th, '15, 12:48

I've just over written that (Inteso) Rainbow line stick with M5 RC and it boots. Strange just at the moment I re-board my system (changing the case and power supply too) isodumper stopped writing boot sectors. Causing me to jump to the conclusion that the stick was incompatible with the board.
dwhite

Re: [Solved]Hybrid Iso's

Postby filip » May 5th, '15, 14:13

UEFI setting of isodumper must be off if the legacy boot of MB is set. And vice versa. More on our wiki.
filip

Return to Basic support