[SOLVED]Couple of questions (Repositories, DE's etc.)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED]Couple of questions (Repositories, DE's etc.)

Postby novsky » Apr 7th, '15, 20:58

Hi there, just a quick few.

1) In live mode, while adding repos, I've seen for example Tainted repos being in many versions. Tainted release, tainted update etc. Which ones are 'correct' for enabling when having a freshly installed system. I wouldn't like to have too much repos enabled.

2) Which desktop is 'better' supported in Mageia (as in unofficially being the favorite in the userbase)? KDE or GNOME?

Thanks a lot!

As for fonts polish, the tainted repo freetype does wonders!

Kind regards,
Last edited by novsky on Apr 9th, '15, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
novsky

Re: Couple of questions (Repositories, DE's etc.)

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 7th, '15, 21:22

Hi there, please next time post support-type questions in one of the support subforums, thanks.
As a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread ;)

You want to enable the _release and _updates media. See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... rrectly.3F and maybe https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mirrors_poli ... able_media for more information on that.
Please also check our software management MAQeia for more information on software and package management.

You might also want to look at some articles on https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation especially from the beginners section, as there first steps for many
desktop environments are covered.

For KDE and GNOME, there is no "better" support or favorite, although I'd say most people that are active on the forums
either use KDE or some lightweight desktop. I also prefer KDE as I personally don't like the attitude/approach of the GNOME project, but that is merely a personal preference.

Others may prefer GNOME as it might be more streamlined, and should simply work. You have to find out for yourself what suits you best.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby novsky » Apr 8th, '15, 07:54

Ain't a problem a doctor can't fix ;)

Thanks D5000!

edit:

Why is it necessary to have some 32bit repos enabled on a 64bit installation?

Code: Select all
on a 64 bit installation you should also have

Core 32bit Release

Core 32bit Updates

Non-free 32bit Release

Non-free 32bit Updates

?

Thanks.
novsky

Postby jkerr82508 » Apr 8th, '15, 09:13

novsky wrote:Why is it necessary to have some 32bit repos enabled on a 64bit installation?

Because some software is only available as 32bit. An example is Skype - in order to use Skype you need some 32bit libraries.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby novsky » Apr 9th, '15, 07:28

Thanks for your answer. Does that mean that in the install/remove section of MCC, you'll have listed all the apps two times, with x86_64 and i586 labels?

Thanks again guys, you're the best.
novsky

Postby jkerr82508 » Apr 9th, '15, 09:13

novsky wrote:Does that mean that in the install/remove section of MCC, you'll have listed all the apps two times, with x86_64 and i586 labels?

Yes, if the package has not been installed. For installed packages, only the arch that is installed is shown.

Jim
jkerr82508

Return to Basic support