Skype crashes in M4

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Skype crashes in M4

Postby Rowan » Mar 11th, '15, 08:43

Hello all
I recently did a fresh install of Mageia4 and now skype causes my computer to log-out whenever I make or receive calls. It is getting annoying having to log-in repeatedly and still have no call. I am using skype 4.3.0.37 and my system is fully updated.

Has anybody else had this problem or is it a bug? Should I revert to an earlier version?

Thanks for any help
Rowan

Re: Skype crashes in M4

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '15, 13:19

Please next time use one of the support subforums for support-type questions, thanks in advance.

Not heard about this issue yet. Skype crashes yes, but not leading to X server restart (asumming that's what you mean by logout, i.e. you're thrown to the login manager again, correct?).

Does it only happen when you initiate or receive calls, so Skype itself is running fine and you can also do chats?
That sounds either like an issue when accessing the webcam or the sound device. Do both of these work OK outside Skype?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Rowan » Mar 15th, '15, 08:40

Yes we can chat - it only happens when we make or receive calls. When it spits the dummy it goes back to X server restart screen.
We have sound for movies and music so I asume that sound is not the problem. We only use the camera for skype and don't know it works elsewhere.
Rowan

Postby Rowan » May 29th, '15, 20:59

Just a bit more information on our problem.

We are using a Logitech C615. In Skype-Options-Video devices we can see ourselves so it is working there. The problem seems to occur when ever both camers are on - ours and the other person on skype. If one camera is off then there is no problem and no crashes.
As an after thought - everything worked properly when we were using Mandriva 2010.2 so we can't understand why it has suddenly gone bad.

Rowan
Rowan

Postby doktor5000 » May 29th, '15, 21:57

Please read our MAQeia for skype: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1121

As the issue seems related to video, please try to start skype directly via /usr/share/skype/skype
to not let it use the video4linux wrapper libraries it uses by default.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support