Formatting USB hard drive. NTFS or Fat

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Formatting USB hard drive. NTFS or Fat

Postby Weatherlawyer » Feb 13th, '15, 23:41

I have just bought a 500 GB USB 3 hard drive Verbatim model number 53029.

(Would you believe: Do not use the Verbatim portable Hard Drive when the ambient temperature is below 10°C or above 35°C.
If the Verbatim portable Hard Drive is moved from a cool environment to a warmer environment, please allow the drive to acclimatize to the ambient temperature before operating the device. Failing to do so may lead to condensation within the drive enclosure, which in turn may cause the drive to malfunction.
) No wonder I got it cheap.

The scanner/printer at the local library couldn't see it. It may need formatting or perhaps their security prevented access. I would like to using it there occasionally to scan stuff. It's primary role will be at home distributing archived folders between my computers. I am using Mageia 4.1 and the local libraries use Windows 7.

The intro page the "read only" files say that I have the choice of opening software for a MAC or a PC. The drive is designed for all Windows up to and including Windows 7. Presumably, I may be safer with Microsoft.
Weatherlawyer

Re: Formatting USB hard drive. NTFS or Fat

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 14th, '15, 18:47

For the condensation, well they are correct, this applies to all electrical devices, bust mostly nobody cares about it ...

Please do the following after unplugging your drive - Open a terminal, and as root run:
Code: Select all
journalctl -af

then wait a few seconds, and plugin the drive, and wait again fifteen seconds or so, until no new output appears.
Then post everything here.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Feb 15th, '15, 11:02

If I were in charge of the computers at your library, I would disable all the USB ports. So maybe whoever is in charge has as much sense as I do :)
jiml8

Postby Weatherlawyer » Feb 18th, '15, 16:37

I just got this back from Verbatim:

Thank you for contacting our technical support. You will find your reference number in the subject of this e-mail.
1- The fact that you can see the contents of the disk means it is installed properly and you can browse its contents. You do not need to format it.
2- You will find below the method to partition the disk in Linux if you wish to do this.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/fdisk_partitioning.html
3- You will find below a link to lists of commands you can use in Linux. Please follow the CP command to transfer files.
http://ss64.com/bash/

Kind regards, Laurence Garric Verbatim Technical Service Center
Phone: +800 3883 2222
E: support.uk@verbatimsupport.eu
W: http://www.verbatim-europe.com

Verbatim is a Mitsubishi Kagaku Media company

Getting the stand-down button would be nice. There is a standby power saving button available but not switched on by default.
I can't remember saying why it might want formatting. The Files larger than 4 GB can not be stored on it as FAT but NTFS is read only in MAC. That is it as far I know just for Windows and Apple. Apple though are a Unix derivative...
Nothing is ever straight forward.
Weatherlawyer

Return to Basic support