How can Wine games show interlude videos?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

How can Wine games show interlude videos?

Postby Ake » Apr 10th, '11, 01:32

Wine (not compiled from source code, but installed from rpmdrake) can't show interlude videos (for example .mpg) of games. How can it show them? Which dependencies should be installed?
Ake

Re: How can Wine games show interlude videos?

Postby ahmad » Apr 17th, '11, 00:54

If you load the game's executable from terminal (e.g. 'wine /path/to/game.exe'), does it show any useful messages about that issue?

Which Mageia arch (32 or 64bit) did you install?
ahmad

Postby Ake » Apr 22nd, '11, 23:41

My computer's system is 64bit Mageia.

Generally I run games via the program menu.:)
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » Apr 28th, '11, 20:21

All the software needed to show game videos in wine is installed with the game itself.
There are no dependencies to install from repositories to fix this. Wine is a separated and fake windows environment. No software from repositories goes installed there.

Sometimes you can fix the issue by installing inside wine certain windows codecs. The video files could be also bink files not quite working in all wine versions. What game is that?
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » Apr 29th, '11, 00:56

Perhaps the Wine in repositories doesn't include the support of some codecs when compiling from souce code? Wine needs dependencies, because its installation needs many "lib*" files.

The game is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » Apr 29th, '11, 06:48

Perhaps the Wine in repositories doesn't include the support of some codecs when compiling from souce code?

It is possible yes, to build a castrated/handicapped wine with some functionalities removed. But I don't think is the case here.
If you fear this you can removed the wine from repos and use the one from WineHQ. Or better yet (of course) build your own.

But anyway, for a an already installed wine there is no use to install some other Linux libraries from the repo. They are irrelevant for a wine environment.
What you need is/are Windows libraries (dll) inside wine.
You can do this by installing some codecs in the wine environment , or using native dll's through overrides.
More exactly you copy certain dll's from an existing windows installation to your game folder, and instruct wine to use those instead of the built-in ones.
Even so, that doesn't mean is that is gonna work for sure.

I don't know what exactly is needed in this case, but if I find a demo of this game I can take a look.
dubigrasu

Postby dubigrasu » Apr 29th, '11, 08:16

Ah, please ignore some grammar errors I made before, I can't edit them now.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » Apr 29th, '11, 11:18

Thank you for your help! I once liked to compile Wine and other some software by myself. But later I don't want to install too many "devel" files, so now I prefer to use rpm installers.:)
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » Apr 29th, '11, 16:32

OK, I installed the demo but unfortunately it has no movies.
There is only a small .mpg file (an animated KOEI logo) which is played (with no issues) at the very beginning.

(black fonts on white background saying: "KOEI PRESENTS")

Do you see this small movie?
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » Apr 30th, '11, 04:27

I don't see the animation "KOEI PRESENTS" in the starting of the game.

I don't know whether the demo includes all animations. In a retail version, there are many .mpg files in "Media/movie" of the folder of the game. They are the animations of starting, ending and scenarios.

"KOEI PRESENTS" is a .mpg file. If you can see the animation, I think that you will see other animations if the demo has. Perhaps your Wine is able to play .mpg files when running the game.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » Apr 30th, '11, 07:57

What version of wine do you have?
I've tested the demo with 1.3.17 and 1.3.18. Both are able to play the videos without any intervention.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » Apr 30th, '11, 14:27

1.3.18 from the official repositories.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 1st, '11, 08:27

So it should work...I'm afraid you'll have to start it from console, maybe we'll find something there.
dubigrasu

Postby dubigrasu » May 1st, '11, 10:01

There are no dependencies to install from repositories to fix this.

I take that back :)
After googling a bit, I found that recently wine added the possibility to use gstreamer plugins for playing video files.
I wasn't aware of this (I also didn't compiled wine from source lately) and have no idea how it works.

So it seems that gstreamer is needed and some plugins.
On a fresh Mageia installation (installed it this morning) wine is indeed unable to play the videos, the game starts directly.
After installing gstreamer plugins the video is finally played but the game get stuck. I have to dig a bit deeper.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 1st, '11, 12:16

My computer's sytem keeps updating since alpha 1.

Today I spent several hours on compiling Wine 1.3.19, and most time was for solving the problems of libraries/components. It needs lots of devel libraries and other components. My computer's system is 64bit, but I want to compile 32bit Wine because I only use 32bit Windows software. Some 32bit components can't be installed because 64bit components have been installed and used by the system, for example gstreamer-plugin-base. Therefore, the Wine in my computer's sytem can't use 32bit gstreamer to play videos. The performance of compiled Wine is same to the Wine from the official repositories of Mageia, and can't play mpeg videos of the game.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 1st, '11, 16:49

My story so far.

On Mageia 32 bit:
I wasn't able to make the game properly run with videos.
With the gstreamer plugins installed, the video plays but the game crashes immediately after.
I tried different version of wine and gstreamer (even replaced them with Mandriva rpms)

Tried also the method I was talking about earlier (dll overrides).
Disabled "winegstreamer" from winecfg, added some windows dll's (mainly quartz.dll) and installed some mpeg codecs.
The video starts briefly (only sound in fact) and crashes. Possibly with some other codec it might work...

On Mandriva 32 bit:
Everything runs perfectly.

On Mandriva 64 bit:
Here I encountered the same problems you mentioned:
Some 32bit components can't be installed because 64bit components have been installed and used by the system, for example gstreamer-plugin-base.

I used wine from the repo and installed some 32 bit gstreamer libs manually. (I had to install by force gstreamer-plugin-base 32 bit)
After that the game runs also perfectly with videos and all.

Essentially (from what I remember now) what you need is (32 bit):
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-mpeg

I have no Mageia 64 bit to test this though.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 2nd, '11, 01:38

dubigrasu wrote:
Essentially (from what I remember now) what you need is (32 bit):
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-mpeg

I have no Mageia 64 bit to test this though.

I tested to install the packages on Mageia 64. Only the starting "KOEI" animation can be played with wrong aspect ratio. Other videos still can't be played.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 2nd, '11, 09:19

Have no idea why only in Mageia it doesn't work.
I have at work a PCLinuxOS 32 bit and a Suse 64 bit and the game works with videos on both.
Also a laptop with Ubuntu has no problem with the game videos.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 2nd, '11, 09:49

I have no idea and I don't know why, too. Some bugs are puzzling because other distros don't have. If a computer user doesn't have interests in computer technology and just wants to use and play, he won't spend much time on trying. Perhaps this is why it is hard for beginners to use Linux. I wish that Mageia will get rid of the bugs someday in the future.

Thanks a lot for your help! Take care!
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 4th, '11, 12:11

Ah, finally working in Mageia (32 bit).

I googled the error I've got from the console without success (it was something about video-renderer) so I thought of tweaking the wine environment using PlayOnLinux.
I have now the same versions of gstreamer libraries and wine, but installed through PlayOnLinux the demo is working without a problem.

Some things I've noticed:
1- You have to install the demo/game from scratch (and not copy an old installation).
2- The game has to be started from the launcher (not the game executable).
3- My cat leaves hair all over the place...oh wait, that's another story.

You might give it a try with PlayOnLinux.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 5th, '11, 14:11

I have tried PlayOnLinux according to your suggestions, but the videos of the game still can't be played.

32bit gstreamer0.10-mpeg, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10 and libgstreamer0.10_0.10 are installed. But I don't install 32bit gstreamer0.10-plugins-base and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, because they will cause the uninstallation of 64bit plugins and it will cause Totem not to work.

You are using 32bit Mageia, but I am using 64bit Mageia. The systems are different.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 6th, '11, 07:00

Bummer. Truth is that wine on 64 issue is one of the problems that prevents me from switching to a 64 bit system. I have a testing 64 bit (MandrivaCooker) but my main PC is still running 32 bit.

I'm aware of the advantages of 64 bits. Not so long ago I made a series of 32bit VS 64bit tests in pretty fair conditions (same PC with same hardware/system/desktop/applications etc) using the Phoronix test suite.
I wasn't trying to demonstrate anything to anyone, I just wanted to know.

Anyway, (with the notable exception of gaming, native or through wine) the 64bit results were superior.
However, in the gaming area and through-wine applications (with few exceptions) 64 bit was a mess. I'm not talking only about frames/second but the whole installation process. What happened to you is a good example.
And since I'm a sorry excuse of a gamer (but a gamer nevertheless) 64 superiority wasn't enough for me to switch.
I suppose in the end things could be fixed by forcing libraries installations and this and that...but it doesn't worth it.

EDIT: Since I brought up the subject (hope you don't mind) here are two series of tests:

AudioVideoEncoding:
Gaming:
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 6th, '11, 16:47

This year I assembled a new computer. It has 4GB RAM, and this is why I installed a 64bit system. I know that a 64bit system may not be well for desktop usage at the present time, but it is necessary for large RAM which is more than 3GB, and it is a trend.

Yesterday I tested to install wine64. It needs the package "wine32", too. After both of wine32 and wine64 were installed, I installed the game "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" to the folder "Program Files (x86)", it crashed when trying to run it.

My computer's graphics card is NVIDIA GTX460, because I know that NVIDIA gives strong support to Linux. However, Wine is not able to fully utilize the card's functions, so the card's performance is not satisfying, though it uses a proprietary driver provided by NVIDIA.
Ake

Postby dubigrasu » May 6th, '11, 18:19

This year I assembled a new computer. It has 4GB RAM, and this is why I installed a 64bit system. I know that a 64bit system may not be well for desktop usage at the present time, but it is necessary for large RAM which is more than 3GB,

If this is your only problem (more than 3GB RAM) you can easily solve it with a 32 bit PAE kernel, which supports up to 64 GB RAM.
(At one point I had 8 GB and I used a PAE kernel made by MIB). I have no idea (can't check right now) if there is such a kernel in Mageia's repos.
dubigrasu

Postby Ake » May 7th, '11, 01:43

dubigrasu wrote:If this is your only problem (more than 3GB RAM) you can easily solve it with a 32 bit PAE kernel, which supports up to 64 GB RAM.
(At one point I had 8 GB and I used a PAE kernel made by MIB). I have no idea (can't check right now) if there is such a kernel in Mageia's repos.

Of course I think that a 64bit system has more advantages. Larger RAM is one of them. I think a PAE kernel is an expedient. A 32bit system will be hard to make use of more hardware resources. Except Wine, other performances of the 64bit system are satisfying. So I won't install a 32bit system.:)

I searched "PAE" in rpmdrake, but got no result. At the present time, there is no a PAE kernel in Mageia's repos.
Ake

Next

Return to Basic support