[SOLVED] MGA4 Dropbox not working (not nVidia problem).

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] MGA4 Dropbox not working (not nVidia problem).

Postby Myles » Feb 12th, '14, 07:00

As far as I can tell this isn't the nVidia driver problem - hence the title.

.I just did a fresh install of Mageia #4. I noted the already reported errata and problems with the nVidia driver and problems with KWrite and Dropbox not starting etc.

I found I had the nVidia driver installed which is why KWrite failed.
Found the empty file /etc/pkcs11/pkcs11.conf. Deleted file, as stated in Errata, using root.
Chose noveau graphics driver, re-booted.
KWrite now started.
Downloaded Dropbox #1.6.0-1 RPM from Dropbox. Installed. Dropbox starts (appearing in taskbar for about 4 seconds and then disappears).
Went through a series of un-installs/re-installs/re-boots, even using the Dropbox listed in the non-free repositories (Dropbox #61.6.0). all to no avail - same result!
I don't know where to go looking for how to tell why this is failing. I try to use journalctl, but don't really know what I'm doing. I installed rsyslog (more familiar) and that doesn't tell me anything either as far as I can see!

Stumped!
Last edited by Myles on Feb 14th, '14, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Re: MGA4 Dropbox not working (not nVidia problem).

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 12th, '14, 08:16

Myles wrote:Found the empty file /etc/pkcs11/pkcs11.conf. Deleted file, as stated in Errata, using root.

If you deleted that file, no need to switch to nouveau driver.

Please post the output from running
Code: Select all
dropbox
in a terminal
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Feb 12th, '14, 08:54

doktor, must have gotten confused reading the errata article.
I have re-installed the nVidia driver now.
Just for info: I also forgot to mention (I had tried so many things I forgot), that when I tried to install Dropbox from the download from the Dropbox site it gets an error: "Some requested packages cannot be installed: nautilus-dropbox.1.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied nautilus extensions[>=2.16.0])" so I had to go with the one in the non-free repositories.
Anyway, back to the task at hand.
I previously tried running Dropbox in the terminal, but the command wasn't recognised. It was probably one of the times I had it un-installed, I don't know, I did so many things.
Anyway, here is the output, plus an extra Dropbox commad I executed:
[myles@Bilbo ~]$ dropbox
Dropbox command-line interface

commands:

Note: use dropbox help <command> to view usage for a specific command.

status get current status of the dropboxd
help provide help
puburl get public url of a file in your dropbox
stop stop dropboxd
running return whether dropbox is running
start start dropboxd
filestatus get current sync status of one or more files
ls list directory contents with current sync status
autostart automatically start dropbox at login
exclude ignores/excludes a directory from syncing
lansync enables or disables LAN sync

[myles@Bilbo ~]$ dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Done!
[myles@Bilbo ~]$

Does that help?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby ozky » Feb 12th, '14, 12:44

Myles wrote:As far as I can tell this isn't the nVidia driver problem - hence the title.

.I just did a fresh install of Mageia #4. I noted the already reported errata and problems with the nVidia driver and problems with KWrite and Dropbox not starting etc.

I found I had the nVidia driver installed which is why KWrite failed.
Found the empty file /etc/pkcs11/pkcs11.conf. Deleted file, as stated in Errata, using root.
KWrite now started.
Downloaded Dropbox #1.6.0-1 RPM from Dropbox. Installed. Dropbox starts (appearing in taskbar for about 4 seconds and then disappears).
Went through a series of un-installs/re-installs/re-boots, even using the Dropbox listed in the non-free repositories (Dropbox #61.6.0). all to no avail - same result!
I don't know where to go looking for how to tell why this is failing. I try to use journalctl, but don't really know what I'm doing. I installed rsyslog (more familiar) and that doesn't tell me anything either as far as I can see!

Stumped!

Fixed version of p11-kit is pushed to core updates testing what fixes that empty settings file so please test it.
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages?view= ... ion=589576
Mageia user
ozky

Postby dtsiamasiotis » Feb 12th, '14, 15:38

Myles, I installed dropbox in Mageia 4 just yesterday following this https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Dropbox
It works fine. I don't see dropbox in non free repos. You have to install kfilebox
dtsiamasiotis

Postby ozky » Feb 12th, '14, 17:53

Here is how to install it to mageia,dropbox daemon is not included in mageia repos only frontend is included so you need to manually download it from dropbox.
Paste one of these commands to terminal as normal user.
64bit
cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

32bit
cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86" | tar xzf -
Mageia user
ozky

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 12th, '14, 22:23

Well, that has always been the case. Maybe you should also sometimes use search function:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3422
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=127
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Feb 13th, '14, 06:23

I also, as usual, forgot to include a pertinent point - I am using KDE if that makes a diffference.
lOkay, now I am confused. I installed Dropbox in Mageia #3, can't remember how exactly, but it installed and worked as far as I remember. I don't remember having to jump through all these hoops and install KFilebox or anything to get it working.
ozky, as I said in the original post I
Downloaded Dropbox #1.6.0-1 RPM from Dropbox.
which downloads the Fedora RPM (which is of course the wrong one).
doktor, I did use the search function, but why would I look at posts referring to Dropbox problems on previous versions of Mageia, as I said above, as it worked for me in Mageia #3.
Okay, I have un-installed the version of Dropbox I had and now have the version downloaded from Dropbox site via CLI as specified by ozky.
And gess what.......it fails with the same message as the version of Dropbox downloaded as Fedora RPM. The command in the quote below is on the Dropbox site of how to start the Dropbox daemon.
[myles@Bilbo .dropbox-dist]$ ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I installed KFilebox successfully (??????). I start it and..............nothing happens! According to the instructions in the wiki
After installation, access the "Menu Application Launcher" on the lower left of the panel and go to "Internet" under applications. Click on "Kfilebox". A Dropbox icon will appear in the notification area in the right lower panel.

Well, no icon appears, and kfilebox doesn't seem to do anything, even if I execute it in a terminal. I have even re-booted, still no joy!
Just discovered a command to use (after reading some links doktor provided and links from them) to see if things are running (didn't know the cmd before)
[myles@Bilbo .dropbox-dist]$ ps ax|grep dropbox
14334 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color dropbox
[myles@Bilbo .dropbox-dist]$ ps ax|grep kfilebox
4513 ? Sl 0:06 /usr/bin/kfilebox -session 1018216711d145000139225654500000043820039_1392256724_152482
14347 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color kfilebox

So I presume this means the dropbox and kfilebox services/processes are running????
So why don't I have a kfilebox tray icon???

So what have I got now - dropbox downloaded from Dropbox site via CLI into directory ~/.dropbox-dist/. Dropbox daemon started by dropboxd? Even though (I think) it looks as though the Dropbox process is running,if I execute "dropbox" or "dropbox stop" in the terminal I get "command not found".
kfilebox is installed and the process is running (?) but no tray icon to configure things.

Reading all those other posts, wiki entries etc. has made me even more confused.
What have I done wrong? Where to from here?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby dtsiamasiotis » Feb 13th, '14, 13:44

About the kfilebox tray icon the wiki notes that
Note: If the icon does not appear, it should be hidden. To make it visible, go to the configuration of the "System Tray", in the bottom panel, by clicking on it with right mouse button, accessing "System Tray Settings" and in the "Entries" tab, go to the column "Visibility" of Kfilebox, and change "Auto" to "Always Visible" and click "Ok".

When you install kfilebox, it downloads dropbox so you don't have to download it yourself. About the canberra module failing to be loaded, find and install the libcanberra-gtk package.
dtsiamasiotis

Postby ozky » Feb 13th, '14, 14:34

doktor5000 wrote:Well, that has always been the case. Maybe you should also sometimes use search function:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3422
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=127
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219

Yes i should use search function in forum :(.
Mageia user
ozky

Postby Myles » Feb 14th, '14, 03:03

Okay, I don't know what is going on. I shut down my PC overnight and this morning I booted it up, and low and behold - Dropbox is now working!! :o I have the systray icon visible and I had a Dropbox dialogue box open.
So whatever I did yesterday must have worked. But as I said previously, I don't remember having to go through this rigmarole to get Dropbox working on Mageia # 3.
Anyway I will mark issue Solved.
Thanks for all the help.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Return to Basic support