Menu and panel

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Menu and panel

Postby darkduck » Jun 29th, '11, 13:27

Hello,
I have just installed Mageia 1 KDE instead of Kubuntu. Kind of like it. It works faster and does not have couple of issues which pissed me off in Kubuntu.

Although, I cannot find how to do 2 things which I had in Kubuntu:
1) Change KMenu style. I Kubuntu I could either have simple drop-down menu (like KDE3) or more sophisticated multi-tabs menu. Mageia only has simple version. Or I cannot find a switch.
Actually I prefer current version, but what I miss is menu search facility, i.e. ability to search within menu items.

2) I could arrange quick launch icons in 2 rows next to KMenu button in Kubuntu. Cannot find a way to do this in Mageia. There is only one row now. Having 2 rows gives me more room for the task buttons themselves.

Please help.
Thanks!
darkduck

Re: Menu and panel

Postby Germ » Jun 29th, '11, 13:43

1 - right click the KMenu button to change the menu style.

2 - I don't know
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby isadora » Jun 29th, '11, 13:46

2. Right click panel: Task Manager Settings
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 13:59

What exactly do you mean by Task Manager Settings? Where in your panel is a task manager?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jun 29th, '11, 14:07

As said: Right-click in your panel, and it is there. At least at my place.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 15:11

Maybe you mean the settings which you can also reach by clicking the cashew on the right side of the panel?
But there is no setting about the starters. Seems to be hardcoded, they automatically scale bigger when you change
the height of the panel, there is no second row like for the window bar when the height is big enough and you have
more windows open than which would fit on one row.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby darkduck » Jun 29th, '11, 15:24

2. I mean that I want to have small icons in quick launch area, like on this screenshot:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rdfRrpyQUNA/TXa7l6JGNfI/AAAAAAAAACo/06XxxcNwXbs/s1600/Kubuntu.png
darkduck

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 15:37

Maybe they use another plasmoid as placeholder for the starters? Could you take a look at this Kubuntu configuration?

EDIT: Maybe it's plasma-applet-quicklaunch, which you can set so that it displays two rows of starters.
Just haven't figured out how to add new starters to it, it says via drag&drop but that doesn't work for me.
Maybe fiddle a bit with it
----
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jun 29th, '11, 16:25

doktor5000 wrote:Maybe you mean the settings which you can also reach by clicking the cashew on the right side of the panel?
But there is no setting about the starters. Seems to be hardcoded, they automatically scale bigger when you change
the height of the panel, there is no second row like for the window bar when the height is big enough and you have
more windows open than which would fit on one row.

I mean the settings when i right-click in the panel.
There i can influence rows for the panel, like in the picture underneath ;-)

And no, it is not about settings for the "Application Launcher Menu", which can be set by right-clicking on that, after having "Unlocked Widgets".

isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 17:47

No, these are only settings for the "window list" as it is called in german, which is a more appropriate description.
There you can set 2 rows for windows, so if you have really many windows open, and the height of the taskbar allows
it, you will see the entries in the window list/Task Manager spread above 2 rows.

The OP wants to have the same thing for the starters LEFT of the window list/Task Manager. This is not possible
with the Mageia default configuration, as far as i have tried. I think you really need an additional plasmoid
for that, like i wrote in my last post, as plasma-applet-quicklaunch starts in the default configuration already with 2 rows.
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jun 29th, '11, 17:55

doktor5000 wrote:I think you really need an additional plasmoid
for that, like i wrote in my last post, as plasma-applet-quicklaunch starts in the default configuration already with 2 rows.

Where can I get such a "plasma-applet-quicklaunch"? If it is like in darkduck's screenshot, then it is one of the very few "want to have" applets for me! :)
I haven't found anything like that in plasmoids, not in the installed and not in the downloadable plasmoids.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby jkerr82508 » Jun 29th, '11, 18:32

plasma-applet-quicklaunch is in the core repo. :)

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby isadora » Jun 29th, '11, 19:44

doktor5000 wrote:No, these are only settings for the "window list" as it is called in german, which is a more appropriate description.
There you can set 2 rows for windows, so if you have really many windows open, and the height of the taskbar allows
it, you will see the entries in the window list/Task Manager spread above 2 rows.

The OP wants to have the same thing for the starters LEFT of the window list/Task Manager. This is not possible
with the Mageia default configuration, as far as i have tried. I think you really need an additional plasmoid

Thanks doktor5000, i'm on level now.

isadora

Postby wobo » Jun 29th, '11, 20:24

jkerr82508 wrote:plasma-applet-quicklaunch is in the core repo. :)

Jim

Thx Jim, I did not know that the package has to be installed (this concept is confusing, some plasmoids are already avalable, some can be downloaded, others have to be installed as rpms...)
wobo
---
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 22:00

@wobo: Agreed, all plasma-* packages should at least be suggested when installing task-kde.
But maybe this is a result of this one: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36997
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jun 29th, '11, 23:53

Yes, possibly. IMHO a bad situation. At least the DVD should not have "suggests" which are not on the DVD (or the other way round). Or the installer should gather such suggested packages which could not be installed in a list and give a message: "Your friend, the installer, was not able to install all suggested packages. After installation you will find a list in /root/drakx/suggests for later installation. Please excuse my incompetence!".
wobo
---
wobo

Postby darkduck » Jun 29th, '11, 23:54

Germ wrote:1 - right click the KMenu button to change the menu style.

Thanks!
Strange I did not notice this myself... 8-(
darkduck

Postby darkduck » Jun 29th, '11, 23:55

Thanks to everybody!
Both issues are now solved. Plasmoid was found in repository and installed.
My desktop now looks pretty much as I want it to be:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sVGnztHD3SA/Tguehe9TSiI/AAAAAAAAAKU/6q2rwABIHog/s1600/Mageia-desktop.jpg
darkduck

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '11, 09:00

Would you be so kind to tell us which plasmoid you found?
And has it anything to do with the Kickoff-menu-style you're using now?
----
doktor5000

Postby darkduck » Jun 30th, '11, 09:05

Kick-off menu was first question and it was solved separately.
Plasmoid was found in MCC by keyword quicklaunch.
darkduck

Postby ahmad » Jun 30th, '11, 13:02

darkduck wrote:Actually I prefer current version, but what I miss is menu search facility, i.e. ability to search within menu items.

There's a krunner that searches in menu items, exactly like the box at the top of the kickoff menu does; so Alt+F2, type the first letters of the apps you want, and it'll show up in the run dialogue.

Incidentally, do you have a link to that ice road background in the screenshot you posted? viewtopic.php?p=4347#p4347
ahmad

Postby darkduck » Jun 30th, '11, 13:13

ahmad wrote:
darkduck wrote:Actually I prefer current version, but what I miss is menu search facility, i.e. ability to search within menu items.

There's a krunner that searches in menu items, exactly like the box at the top of the kickoff menu does; so Alt+F2, type the first letters of the apps you want, and it'll show up in the run dialogue.

Incidentally, do you have a link to that ice road background in the screenshot you posted? viewtopic.php?p=4347#p4347

I know about Alt-F2, but still prefer menu, because it shows me a list in better view. Just IMHO. :)
I have this background in my system still I believe. I am not at that computer, but if you send me an e-mail, I can probably reply with attachment.
darkduck

Postby darkduck » Jun 30th, '11, 17:51

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2011/06/m ... anity.html

My adventures with Mageia, including trip to this forum. :)
darkduck

Postby garymon » Jul 1st, '11, 02:34

What and where is the Kmenu button?
garymon

Postby ahmad » Jul 1st, '11, 02:47

The applications menu button on the left side of the panel, by default in KDE4.
ahmad

Return to Basic support