How to get Files to see windows hosts in network?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

How to get Files to see windows hosts in network?

Postby niemand » Dec 30th, '13, 05:33

Files can't see my Windows 7 host on the network. I am able to ping the Win7 host. In the Control Center > Access Windows (SMB) shared drives and directories, it is able to pick up the Win7 host also after clicking on "Search servers". I'm running Gnome on Mageia 3.
niemand

Re: How to get Files to see windows hosts in network?

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 30th, '13, 07:56

Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby niemand » Dec 30th, '13, 08:26

doktor5000 wrote:Is Samba allowed in the firewall? http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... ewall.html

"SMB" is not even listed there.
Control Center shows that samba-client is already installed.
I just now installed samba-server...don't know what good that would do me though.
niemand

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 30th, '13, 21:19

niemand wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:Is Samba allowed in the firewall? http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... ewall.html

"SMB" is not even listed there.

Hmmm, you're right, just confirmed that here, also don't have that entry ...

But you can check easily as root with e.g.

Code: Select all
nc -zv localhost 1-200

to see which ports between 1 and 200 are open/allowing connections.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marja » Dec 30th, '13, 21:40

AFAIK, if you only want to access SMB shared directories on other systems, you don't need samba-server and you don't need to enable "Windows Files Sharing (SMB)" in your firewall.
The instructions here should work
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... --smb.html

If you want to enable others to acces SMB shares on your system, then you do need the samba-server package and then enabling "Windows Files Sharing (SMB)" in the firewall is needed.
More instructions are here
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... share.html
marja

Postby niemand » Dec 31st, '13, 09:13

marja wrote:AFAIK, if you only want to access SMB shared directories on other systems, you don't need samba-server and you don't need to enable "Windows Files Sharing (SMB)" in your firewall.
The instructions here should work
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... --smb.html

I did as indicated in the above link. The win7 machine still does not show in Files. It was not like this when I used Dolphin in my Mageia 1/2 installations (where Dolphin was left over from testing KDE). Why so lame?

I just now noticed that the "Access Windows (SMB) shared drives and directories" only shows a flashing graphic of a "Samba" computer thumbnail and a Cancel button. It's no longer taking me to the screen where I can search for new servers. This is not right.
niemand

Postby niemand » Dec 31st, '13, 10:56

I'm just now discovering that the Win7 host has been mounted under /mnt folder, and I'd have to get there via the left menu bar, and selecting "Computer" under the "Devices" section. This is so lame! I was expecting the host to appear under the "Network" section, which is how Dolphin behaved automatically. In Dolphin, clicking on Network would bring up all the hosts on that network. And this was in Dolphin for Mageia 1 and 2. Dolphin did not need me to go navigating to /mnt in order to list all the hosts on the network. What is the point then of "Browse Network" under "Network" section of Files?
niemand

Postby marja » Dec 31st, '13, 14:40

niemand wrote:I'm just now discovering that the Win7 host has been mounted under /mnt folder

You mean that you chose to mount it somewhere else, when following the instructions about the mount point here
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/ ... ml#d4e1942 ?

(Btw, in KDE with Dolphin, without following any instructions, choosing "Network"->"Samba Shares"->"Workgroup" already shows the windows host here)

I hope someone who runs Gnome will reply in this thread
marja

Postby tians514 » Jul 19th, '18, 23:50

I'm using GNOME and Nautilus.

To get Nautilus to connect to remove Windows Servers (SMB Shares).

Install gvfs-smb.

Kill any running versions of Nautilus or just log out and back in.

It should work like a champ.
tians514

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 20th, '18, 10:51

Hi there, you may want to look at the age of the last post in this thread - 5 years ago ...
----
doktor5000

Postby tians514 » Jul 20th, '18, 20:21

yes - but I ran into the issue again yesterday with Nautilus and GNOME on Mageia 6
tians514

Postby wintpe » Jul 23rd, '18, 11:17

one of the things that i find helps is that all the SMB based systems clients and servers use the same workgroup name.

it all works so much better then.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support