/home permision issue after M2->M3 upgrade

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

/home permision issue after M2->M3 upgrade

Postby neXt » May 25th, '13, 04:22

After online upgrade all is good on my LXDE machine, except that my home is chmod-ed 351 (-wx-r-x--x)! and at every reboot register.desktop, home.desktop and trash.desktop are recreated on ~/.Desktop
I've removed all my ~/.config/autostart and all the custom /etc/xdg/autostart/ entries, but I'm still unable to find the culprit (in the mean-time I've removed the .desktop files from /var/lib/mageia/lxde-profiles/Desktop-icons/)

Also, it seems like the rpm for NetworkManager is missing a require for polkit (in my case for lxpolkit too), "Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privileges" is the message when the polkit "wrapper" does not exist.
neXt

Re: /home permision issue after M2->M3 upgrade

Postby djennings » May 25th, '13, 10:46

Whoops. Looks like the fix for Bug 5941 has gone wrong!
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5941

Could you reopen the bug please and comment on your experience?
Do you have the file ~/.config/openbox/lxderc.xml present? It should only place the icons on the desktop if that file is absent.

As for the networking issue, that is because you are using Network Manager on a non Gnome desktop. This bug report and the advice in Comment 5 should help you
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6675
djennings

Postby djennings » May 25th, '13, 12:42

OK I think I see the problem with LXDE.
The final version of the patch to put icons on the desktop did not come out in time to make the freeze on Cauldron before the Mga3 release.
Cauldron has lxde-common-0.5.5-13.mga3 while you need lxde-common-0.5.5-14.mga3

I will request that lxde-common-0.5.5-14.mga3 is put out as an update.
djennings

Postby neXt » May 25th, '13, 16:02

Thank you djennings, I've post my comments on the bugzilla. I don't have ~/.config/openbox/lxderc.xml, but only ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml, so I've created a link.
For the networking, after the error I've manually run "urpmi lxpolkit" and everything fit to it's place, it's just that for a newbie it will be a bad experience to see that error. I also use NetworkManager on my main laptop and a handful of desktop computers, all Mageia2 with KDE and is perfectly fine as long as polkit is started and does his job.
I still don't understand how my home came to be chmoded 351 after upgrade, that's something I will look at during my next upgrades.
neXt

Return to Basic support