Multiboot USB Live distros - still no Mageia YUMI support?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Multiboot USB Live distros - still no Mageia YUMI support?

Postby Mixx » May 21st, '13, 06:59

Gooplusplus.com recently released their free 2013 YUMI-based USB multiboot Linux "live" 2GB/4GB/8GB distro sampler (direct download and bittorrent).

The KDE version of Mageia 3 "live CD" was supposed to be part of that distro collection but there still does not seem to be any YUMI support or any successful hacks to make Mageia work using YUMI's syslinux and grub system. What is it that is so different with Mageia that makes it unable to properly boot up its live distro with YUMI?

Goo++/Yumi BASE distros include Zorin 6.2, Puppy-Racy 5.5, Slitaz 4.0, Porteus 2.0.2, Hiren's 15.2, AVG rescue, and Partition Wizard Minitool 7.8

AddOn distros include Ubuntu 13.04, XBMCbuntu 12.00, Bodhi 2.3, Deepin 12.06, GnuGuitarinix 1.1.2, Knoppix 7.0.5, Manjaro 0.8.5, Peppermint 3, System Rescue CD 3.5, and Ultimate Boot CD 5.2.1

http://www.gooplusplus.com/multiboot-2013/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

Mixx

Re: Multiboot USB Live distros - still no Mageia YUMI suppor

Postby doktor5000 » May 21st, '13, 13:13

Mixx wrote:The KDE version of Mageia 3 "live CD" was supposed to be part of that distro collection but there still does not seem to be any YUMI support or any successful hacks to make Mageia work using YUMI's syslinux and grub system. What is it that is so different with Mageia that makes it unable to properly boot up its live distro with YUMI?

Not much, question is did anyone ask yet that Mageia should be a distro supported by YUMI, and what would that require? You perhaps?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Mixx » May 21st, '13, 16:55

doktor5000 wrote:
Mixx wrote:The KDE version of Mageia 3 "live CD" was supposed to be part of that distro collection but there still does not seem to be any YUMI support or any successful hacks to make Mageia work using YUMI's syslinux and grub system. What is it that is so different with Mageia that makes it unable to properly boot up its live distro with YUMI?

Not much, question is did anyone ask yet that Mageia should be a distro supported by YUMI, and what would that require? You perhaps?

Well, there must be something "different" from other distros about booting Mageia 3 "live CD".

The folks at PenDriveLinux.com (maker of YUMI) have indicated that unlike dozens of other Linux distros,
they can't get Mageia to work with their USB multiboot system.

Mixx

Postby doktor5000 » May 21st, '13, 23:05

Mixx wrote:The folks at PenDriveLinux.com (maker of YUMI) have indicated that unlike dozens of other Linux distros,

Do you have some link for that or some contact information?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby alf » May 21st, '13, 23:38

Had a short look here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/, there's Mandriva 2011 listed as working. IIRC Mandriva21011 is ISO-Hybrid like Mageia's ISOs. So I wonder why Mageia shouldn't work.
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby Mixx » May 22nd, '13, 00:03

alf wrote:Had a short look here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/, there's Mandriva 2011 listed as working. IIRC Mandriva21011 is ISO-Hybrid like Mageia's ISOs. So I wonder why Mageia shouldn't work.

Yep, the Mandriva method was the first thing I tried, "faking" the Mageia install by renaming the Mageia distro ISO file to match the Mandriva distro. YUMI would install it but the boot process failed. Besides the YUMI "try unlisted ISO" option (fail), I also tried fake "PCLinuxOS", fake "antiX", fake "Trinity", etc. Each failed during the actual boot process even after trying different mageia.cfg options found on Github and moving USB file locations around.

BTW, faking the distro name in YUMI does not typically work. But it often does work on closely related distros. In the Goo++/YUMI distro list, at least 3 were not on the official YUMI distro list: (1) Deepin --> Ubuntu, (2) GnuGuitarinix --> Debian Live, (3) Manjaro --> Arch
Last edited by Mixx on May 22nd, '13, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Mixx

Postby Mixx » May 22nd, '13, 00:06

doktor5000 wrote:
Mixx wrote:The folks at PenDriveLinux.com (maker of YUMI) have indicated that unlike dozens of other Linux distros,

Do you have some link for that or some contact information?

Mixx

Postby doktor5000 » May 22nd, '13, 23:36

Well, there was no public discussion of the integration problem related to Mageia?

Apart from that, somebody approached us today at the Mageia booth on Linuxtag, and he showed me what he tried to to with multibootusb (similar tool to YUMI) and if i find some time i'll take a look at this boot setup in the next days.
----
doktor5000

Postby stevesi » Sep 15th, '13, 11:21

Hi
My Easy2Boot project http://www.easy2boot.com is a grub4dos multiboot USB drive solution. It boots 99% of all linux distros (it uses a generic method). All you need to do is copy the ISO file to the grub4dos USB drive's \_ISO\MAINMENU folder (no utility needed) and then run WinContig to ensure the ISO file is contiguous (or use a linux utility).
I have tested it with Mageia-3-LiveCD-KDE4-en-i586-CD.iso and it works just fine. :D
Does the LiveCD support persistence? If so what volume name does it look for (e.g. casper-rw)? Are there any cheat codes for persistence?
If so, I can easily make a .mnu file for Mageia so that it can use an ext2 file on the same USB drive as a persistent filesystem.
E2B can boot directly from linux distro ISOs such as Ubuntu, Fedora, LUbuntu, BackTrack 5, Puppy, YLMF, Kali, StartOS, Tails, Porteus, BitDefender, PCLinuxOS, etc. and all with separate persistence ext2 files and all from the same USB drive.
HTH
Steve
Last edited by stevesi on Aug 25th, '16, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
stevesi

Postby filip » Sep 15th, '13, 19:58

stevesi wrote:Hi
My Easy2Boot project http://www.rmprepusb.com is a grub4dos multiboot USB drive solution. ...
I have tested it with Mageia-3-LiveCD-KDE4-en-i586-CD.iso and it works just fine. :D

Hi, Steve. Welcome around. Nice work. Can you please add it also to our wiki page about that?
filip

Return to Basic support