mic does not work in skype

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

mic does not work in skype

Postby swazi » Jun 8th, '11, 14:11

Hi

I have tried all sorts of devices in kmix and disabled pulse audio but i can only hear the dolly in echo123 but she does not hear me.
swazi

Re: mic does not work in skype

Postby Codalunga » Jun 8th, '11, 17:43

Did it work with other distributions? I was never able to make skype work properly in opensuse or fedora, so maybe it's not a Mageia problem.
Codalunga

Postby swazi » Jun 8th, '11, 19:05

Codalunga wrote:Did it work with other distributions? I was never able to make skype work properly in opensuse or fedora, so maybe it's not a Mageia problem.

It works fine with Mandriva and Ubuntu
swazi

Postby pmithrandir » Jun 8th, '11, 21:49

On some computer, there is an internal microphone, and an external one.

Don't forget to enabled them on kmix if you use alsa.
If you use pulse, switch the microphone to the other one in the pulse volume control.

It was a big mess for me too to find a configuration with some computer...
Creator of : http://www.jaiuneidee.net a "direct democracy" website for France.
pmithrandir

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 8th, '11, 22:32

Sykpe 2.2.0.35 working out of the box here and in Mandriva 2010.1. The problem seems to be making the microfone input available to pulseaudio,
for example for my system (acer aspire 5739g) i had to pass a special option to the sound driver (snd-hda-intel) to make it work correctly for this special model with all input and output channels.

May i ask what sound chip is used on the non-working installations? Please post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci -k | grep -A6 -i audio

and the model of your computer.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby swazi » Jun 9th, '11, 04:40

lspci -k | grep -A6 -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 840b
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
Kernel modules: shpchp

I also had PCLinuxOS installed on this computer and skype worked fine, it's an ASUS mobo and i copied the skype from the Mandriva power pack DVD and installed it, it also installed about 113 dependencies with no errors. I had to disable pulse audio as there was no sound at all with pulse audio enabled. Like i said i can hear the person on skype but they cannot hear me. Way back with Ubuntu you had to fiddle with audio settings till skype worked.

I tried to install the tarball from skype.com but it needed a libasound file which i could not find.
swazi

Postby swazi » Jun 9th, '11, 05:54

ok found the problem sort of, i was tapping on the mic and heard the taping sound play back, now when i hold the mic right to my mouth, the echo123 works and i can hear my voice, problem is all my channels are turnred up high so why do i have to hold the mic to my mouth?
swazi

Postby swazi » Jun 9th, '11, 06:05

Solved sort off, i plugged my mic into my front pdf of my machine and now it works 100%, don't know why it will not work at the back.
swazi

Postby maat » Jun 10th, '11, 08:11

perhaps try to check with pavucontrol to see if you can tune the mic at the back (perhaps he sees both entries as different and that you can choose with one to play with...)
maat

Return to Basic support