[SOLVED] Drop Box Installation

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Drop Box Installation

Postby michel » Aug 26th, '12, 20:39

Greeting,

I'm just about done with my system setting, the only thing left to fix is Dropbox. I installed the package from the repositories and when I started the program from the Start Menu I got a message telling me it needed to download something.

When the download was done the window closed without any further messages and when I try to start Dropbox again I get nothing.

Thanks,

Michel
Last edited by michel on Aug 27th, '12, 11:45, edited 2 times in total.
michel

Re: Drop Box Installation

Postby tom_ » Aug 26th, '12, 20:50

here there is a workaround

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3641

Code: Select all
rm -f ~/.dropbox-dist/libz.so.1
tom_

Postby macxi » Aug 26th, '12, 21:13

michel wrote:Greeting,
I'm just about done with my system setting, the only thing left to fix is Dropbox. I installed the package from the repositories and when I started the program from the Start Menu I got a message telling me it needed to download something.
When the download was done the window closed without any further messages and when I try to start Dropbox again I get nothing.
Thanks,
Michel

Michel,
You are using Mageia Mageia 1 or 2? Gnome or KDE?

To use dropbox, there are two packages in Mageia repository: Kfilebox for KDE, and Nautilus-dropbox for GNOME.

Kfilebox for KDE
    MAGEIA 2 - kfilebox-0.4.7-3.mga2.i586.rpm - KDE front end for Dropbox
    MAGEIA 1 - kfilebox-0.4.7-2.mga1.i586.rpm - KDE front end for Dropbox

Nautilus-dropbox for GNOME
    MAGEIA 2 - nautilus-dropbox-1.4.0-1.mga2.nonfree.i586.rpm- Dropbox extension for Nautilus
    MAGEIA 1 - nautilus-dropbox-0.6.7-1.mga1.i586.rpm- Dropbox extension for Nautilus
macxi

Postby michel » Aug 26th, '12, 21:17

I am using mageia 2 with kde. I installed the package dropbox nautilus should I uninstall it?

Michel
michel

Postby macxi » Aug 26th, '12, 21:24

michel wrote:I am using mageia 2 with kde. I installed the package dropbox nautilus should I uninstall it?
Michel

Yes, the appropriate package for Kde is kfilebox
macxi

Postby michel » Aug 26th, '12, 21:48

I removed dropbox nautilus and installed the kde package. I got the icon in the tray and I created a dropbox folder and moved to it. No syncing. I tried the procedure that you linked to but I think I am doing something wrong as it did not work.

I cd to Dropbox my dropbox directory and there I pasted the command Dropbox-dist and got this:

[root@localhost michel]# Dropbox-dist
bash: Dropbox-dist: command not found

And when I entered . / Dropbox I got:

[root@localhost michel]# . / Dropbox
bash: .: /: is a directory

Michel
michel

Postby macxi » Aug 26th, '12, 22:25

michel wrote:I removed dropbox nautilus and installed the kde package. I got the icon in the tray and I created a dropbox folder and moved to it. No syncing. I tried the procedure that you linked to but I think I am doing something wrong as it did not work.
I cd to Dropbox my dropbox directory and there I pasted the command Dropbox-dist and got this:
[root@localhost michel]# Dropbox-dist
bash: Dropbox-dist: command not found
And when I entered . / Dropbox I got:
[root@localhost michel]# . / Dropbox
bash: .: /: is a directory
Michel

Michel,

First configure Kfilebox:
    a) Click the right mouse button on the icon Kfilebox (tray).
    b) Select "Preferences"
    c) In the "General" tab, enter the location of the dropbox folder that you created (e.g.: /home/user/Dropbox).
    d) In the tab "Misc":
      - set as the Dolphin file manager.
      - Browser: Firefox
      - default (icons)

Second, set the synchronization of kfilebox with the dropbox (online)
    a) You access the the hidden folder: /home/user/.dropbox-dist and type: ./dropbox
    Open a terminal and type:
    [xxxxx@localhost.dropbox-dist] $./dropbox

If you see the warning: "Another instance of Dropbox (3034) is working!", Go to the icon kfilebox, tray, and with the right mouse button, select stop dropbox, and try again: open a terminal and type:
    [xxxxx@localhost.dropbox-dist] $./dropbox

After that, a window will appear warning: "this machine is not connected with dropbox" and there will be a link to connect. You click on this link which will open in the Firefox window "Dropbox". Just give login and password and initiated synchronization.

Note: An easy way to access a hidden folder is to go to Dolphin, go to the toolbar, in the "View" and select "Show Hidden Files".
      Look in your user folder, the folder .dropbox-dist

After, click it to open, and go back on the toolbar, in "Tools" and select "Open Terminal", which should open a terminal in the folder that is open (.dropbox-dist) and you can give the command: ./dropbox
macxi

Postby oldbiddie » Aug 27th, '12, 10:51

Sorry to barge in. I have followed until the configuration of Kfilebox.

You say: a) Click the right mouse button on the icon Kfilebox (tray).

I have no icon.
oldbiddie

Postby michel » Aug 27th, '12, 11:42

It worked thanks! Please let me know if you need help writing this procedure in English for the Wiki.

Michel
michel

Postby michel » Aug 27th, '12, 11:44

oldbiddie wrote:Sorry to barge in. I have followed until the configuration of Kfilebox.

You say: a) Click the right mouse button on the icon Kfilebox (tray).

I have no icon.

You have to go to the start menu (the mageia icon on the leftmost bottom corner) and there go to "internet" press it and you will get a list of internet applications including Kfilebox.

Click on it and the dropbox icon should appear in the bottom right side of the panel.

Michel
michel

Re: [SOLVED] Drop Box Installation

Postby oldbiddie » Aug 27th, '12, 13:07

No, it is not there, or anywhere
oldbiddie

Postby macxi » Aug 27th, '12, 13:47

michel wrote:It worked thanks! Please let me know if you need help writing this procedure in English for the Wiki.
Michel

Michel,
It's a great idea.
Your help is very welcome.
I made a draft to start in Wiki Mageia ( https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Dropbox ) Feel free to change and correct:
Thank you
macxi

Postby oldbiddie » Aug 27th, '12, 14:37

Thanks for your help. Kfilebox suddenly appeared. I clicked on it and was asked if I wanted to install a dropbox deamon. Said yes but then it crashed. I wanted to report the crash but it seems I am missing the bug report package!
Somehow or other, dropbox seems to work ( haven´t time to explore it all now).
I´ll come back to it when I have more time
oldbiddie

Postby macxi » Aug 27th, '12, 15:11

oldbiddie wrote:Thanks for your help. Kfilebox suddenly appeared. I clicked on it and was asked if I wanted to install a dropbox deamon. Said yes but then it crashed. I wanted to report the crash but it seems I am missing the bug report package!
Somehow or other, dropbox seems to work ( haven´t time to explore it all now).
I´ll come back to it when I have more time

Oldbiddie,

Yesterday I reported a bug 7216 in Mageia Bugzilla.

After installed and synchronized, the KFILEBOX closes, and displays error message, and after the Mageia 2 boot, a window appears: "Kfilebox - The KDE
crash handler". This software Kfilebox is functioning without error in Mageia 1, but is closing in Mageia 2.

I agree with what you said. Despite the warnings error, if I click again on the icon of Kfilebox in the "Application Launcher Menu", the kfilebox works properly synchronizing all packages. Despite the warnings error, it works.

oldbiddie wrote: I wanted to report the crash but it seems I am missing the bug report package!

I installed these:
    - kfilebox-debug-0.4.7-3.mga2.i586
    - gdb-7.3.50.20110722-4.mga2.i586
macxi

Postby oldbiddie » Aug 27th, '12, 15:49

Thank you. I am glad I am not the only one with weird error messages. Still, if things work and they seem to, why worry?

I shall install - kfilebox-debug-0.4.7-3.mga2.i586 and - gdb-7.3.50.20110722-4.mga2.i586 hoping I won´t have to use them
oldbiddie

Postby dedanna1029 » Mar 24th, '13, 20:42

I have a question. For those that nautilus-dropbox works for, both in Gnome and KDE, if we are supposed to install KFilebox for KDE, and we use both Gnome and KDE for reasons of our own, how do we keep Kfilebox just for KDE, and nautilus-dropbox for Gnome?
I see no reason to change that which is working, however,,,, if that's what they say to do, I guess so be it?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
dedanna1029

Return to Basic support