Kmail2: erro opening folder, is missing - Mga 2 - Kde 482

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Kmail2: erro opening folder, is missing - Mga 2 - Kde 482

Postby macxi » Aug 19th, '12, 18:00

Hi,

I'm trying to use Kmail2 in Mageia 2 - KDE 4.8.2 ( but after importing my messages and create new folders, now he is giving repeated warnings that do not find a specific folder I created.

Local Folder: erro opening /home/user/.local/shere/local-mail/inbox.directory/folder-name-USER; this folder is missing
Attachments
Kmail-aviso-erro-opening-pasta-local-03.png
Kmail-aviso-erro-opening-pasta-local-03.png (40.74 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Last edited by macxi on Aug 19th, '12, 18:34, edited 5 times in total.
macxi

Re: Kmail2: This folder is missing

Postby isadora » Aug 19th, '12, 18:11

Macxi, just a quick shot, but i have:
/home/user/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/....
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Kmail2: erro opening folder, is missing - Mga 2 - Kde

Postby macxi » Aug 19th, '12, 18:16

isadora wrote:Macxi, just a quick shot, but i have:
/home/user/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/....

Isadora,
Inbox is "caixa de entrada" in portuguese (or input box).

I like Kmail, but the changes they made in Kmail2 are slowly and with errors, but is working

I found some comments on the internet about it:

KDE Forum: Kmail2: configuring local mail path.
KDE Forum: Kmail folders invalid Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 am
Kubuntu -wiki Kmail2
Last edited by macxi on Aug 20th, '12, 16:00, edited 3 times in total.
macxi

Re: Kmail2: This folder is missing

Postby isadora » Aug 19th, '12, 18:23

Understood macxi.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby macxi » Aug 19th, '12, 18:40

These folders are there ,when I open the Kmail2, but it seems that it were not saved in the new folder in kmail, which is the home/.local/share/local-mail.

All new folders I created are giving error message, with endless warnings in the notification system, that I can not stop.

Note: Even with this error, the Kmail2 is functioning normally, downloading email in all these folders that the Akonodi says are missing.
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 19th, '12, 19:48

I restarted the computer and did not show up all those warnings, only referring to the CONTACTS folder, so I'll wait to see if this error is repeated or not, to decide if I open a bug in KDE about it.

It seems that there was a big change in the Kmail Mageia 1 for Kmail2 which is in Mageia 2, which is slower and giving errors.

I hope it resolves itself, so I do not have to change the manager email (probably from Kmail to Thunderbird), I prefer to continue with Kmail.
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 20th, '12, 16:08

Hi,

This would be slow resulting from Akonadi database, mysql?

Is possible to change from mysql to PostgreSQL or Sqlite? Does this change could improve?

(see: KDE - Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database Akonadi Server Database Internals: Mysql, PostgreSQ and SqliteL )
Attachments
Akonadi-msql-03.png
Akonadi-msql-03.png (56.46 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 20th, '12, 19:39

For sqlite, this is still problematic and quite slower: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Ak ... ase#Sqlite
For Postgres: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Ak ... QL_Support

Probably both won't offer performance improvements. Maybe at first you should try to disable indexing of mails via nepomuk setup?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby macxi » Aug 21st, '12, 01:07

doktor5000 wrote:For sqlite, this is still problematic and quite slower: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Ak ... ase#Sqlite
For Postgres: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Ak ... QL_Support

Probably both won't offer performance improvements. Maybe at first you should try to disable indexing of mails via nepomuk setup?

Doktor5000,

I already have disabled Nepomuk.

I really like Kmail. I'm evaluating this situation (if it is serious or not).

I am using it only to 3 days.

Another problem occurs when I move some folder and Kmail closes. After I open Kmail, and the folder is correctly to where I moved it. (nothing serious)

Another problem is that I can not change the name of folders. (nothing serious)

Another problem occurs if I delete or move any folders. After a few hours, insistent warnings appear for 10 or 15 minutes without stopping, warning that a folder was not found. I can not stop these warnings and have to turn the sound off (to not hear the constant beeping of system). After 10 or 15 minutes, it stops. But after 1 hour or 2 hours back again. (is serious, if not stop these warnings, I will have to change email manager).

The most curious, in some cases, the local folder (home/.local/share/local-mail /??/user) that Akonodi says not found, is there in Kmail.

Note: in Mageia 1, Kmail folder, in this home/.kde4/share/apps/kmail, but now, in Mageia 2, folder Kmail, is in home/.local/share/local-mail
I think the solution might be:
    - Wait a week to see if I find a way to fix these particularly insistent warnings that local folders is missing;
    - Switch from Kmail to Thunderbird;
    - Or Back to the Mageia 1, I have installed on another partition, where Kmail is working well.

Note: all other features of Kmail are working very well (import messages, import filters, configuring multiple email imap or pop, and a good many other utilities, so I like Kmail).

Edited:

NOTE: All folders and emails that had been imported from Kmail to Kmail2 been erased.
    I have a copy of all, so I can retrieve all.

I do not know what may have caused this error. I'll have to do some more tests, but still registered a bug:

macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 22nd, '12, 15:35

Hi,

Now, I'm checking what the possible causes of this error, with migration from kmail to kmail2.
If I made a mistake and if there's any bug or something that can be improved to avoid that.

Error that I may have committed:

I configured Kmail as POP and I imported the messages in a non-recommended directly from the folder .kde / share / apps / kmail in a very large number of messages (more than 10,000).

I have not used the mechanism of export (folders with messages) from Kmail because did not know existed, so I may have caused this error to have improperly imported messages.

I was in a hurry, so I made the simplest way, as I always have and always worked. But Kmail2 has several changes.

The folder was Kmail home/user/.kde/share/apps/kmail. and now, in Kmail2, is in home/user/.local/share/local-mail /

What can be improved in Kmail:

Akonadi gave warning error when I moved Kmail folders

There is no clear guidance on how you can export messages. To export, you click on Kmail folder, and right-mouse button, select the "Archive Folders", which will create a compressed archive (zip, tar, etc.). Belquimão said that to me in MageiaBrasil Forum.

It seems that other changes were made in Kmail2. So, I think the best thing to do would be to test again the Kmail2, on a clean install of Mageia 2, making all the correct procedures, the migration of Kmail Mageia 1 for Kmail2 of Mageia 2 . But do not know when I'll have time to do that.

So I'm testing Thunderbird in Mageia 2 using IMAP setup, and Thunderbird works well with IMAP setup, is very simple to setup and use. And I have kmail working very well in Mageia 1, with POP setup (in another partition).

Note: Who wants to try to use other email managers, there are Evolution and Claws-Mail in official repository Mageia 1 and Mageia 2.
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 23rd, '12, 23:57

I compared the Thunderbird in Mageia 2 (using IMAP settings) with Kmail in Mageia 1 (using the POP settings) and I noticed that:

- Thunderbird with IMAP is easy to set up, but is a little slow with many e-mail and a a lot of accounts.

- The Kmail is more work to set up the folders, but once configured, Kmail is very fast with multiple accounts and multiple emails and many filters.

Thunderbird is good, but Kmail is great

Therefore, I will continue using Kmail at Mageia 1, until I get set up Kmail2 in Mageia 2 also.
macxi

Postby macxi » Dec 2nd, '12, 23:58

Hi,

I reinstalled Mageia 2, 64bit KDE. I installed the Kmail2, and again I imported
the emails correctly, exporting first, then importing. The mistakes were not
repeated again.

I updated the Mageia bug 7129 and Kde bug 305526

Just a one erro occurs with Kmail2:

Every time I ask to download emails, a specific list (not all) downloads the same emails multiple times, creating lists dozens
of emails repeated. If I click on the option to delete duplicate emails, nothing happens.
I need to delete one by one.

Anyone have any suggestions?
macxi

Postby macxi » Dec 11th, '12, 06:21

Hi,
I did a fresh install of Mageia 2, Kde, 64bit, installed Kmail and it works almost without error, but an error is still occurring:
The Kmail2 is creating copies of emails in sometimes and not others. So, I opened a new bug in Kdebugzilla

Bug 311495 - Kmail2: Maildir synchronization causes several cópions of emails sent and received (KDE 4.8.5 in Mageia 2)

I do not know, but maybe there is already some fixes in the updated versions of KDE
macxi

Return to Basic support