Language input

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Language input

Postby jd » Apr 2nd, '11, 18:16

I am from India and need to have input in Hindi. I have used Ubuntu and they have made it very easy to do that with ibus. I have scim installed but I still cannot type in Hindi. I have installed the devanagari fonts too. I am not getting the phonetic input in scim. I tried configuring the keyboard layout but that also does not give me the ability to type phonetically in Hindi like in Ubuntu. Anyone here able to help me with this
jd

Re: Language input

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 2nd, '11, 20:29

Hi jd
You shoud install ibus (using the package installer) and ibus hindi (dont know how this is named).
When delogging and relogging, you shoud see the ibus icon and be able to write in hindi :)
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby jd » Apr 3rd, '11, 07:38

Should I uninstall scim and replace with ibus and dependencies. Somewhere I read these are the files to be installed:
ibus, ibus-m17n, m17n-db, m17n-contrib, ibus-gtk
Also should I remove config of keyboard layout which I added through input devices in system settings? This shows in systray
jd

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 3rd, '11, 13:54

Hi again
Yes, you should remove all scim related things (because scim is a bit old and ibus a good replacement of it)
And yeah, I think that the packages you mentionned should be installed.
About keyboard layouting in systemsettings, you can keep them, they will not interfere with ibus.
And one last point, add ibus-qt4 for KDE support.
That's all, enjoy !
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby ennael » Apr 3rd, '11, 18:52

We did the switch for asian languages in installer but indeed we need to correct this for other one. Please feel free to correct anything misworking
ennael

Postby jd » Apr 4th, '11, 07:15

Thank you Sfiet for your help.
I have removed scim and installed ibus and dependencies. For those who need to know: The "ibus-daemon" will have to be started after installation. The libreoffice-langpack-hi is also installed along with fonts and dependencies. But I am not able to type in Hindi :roll: I was able to get the input window in firefox for the previous kernel 2.6.38.2-1 After updating to the latest kernel I can't get input even in firefox.
jd

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 4th, '11, 19:34

Did you have a little keyboard with an earth symbol into the system tray ?
Right click on it to configure the Ibus settings.
Libreoffice is known to have some compatibilites issues with SCIM (maybe it is the same problem with Ibus), I will check.
No, it works for me in libreoffice.

Did you use KDE ? I use libreoffice using KDE compatibility. (libreoffice-kde4)
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby jd » Apr 5th, '11, 05:56

I have the little keyboard with an earth symbol in the system tray.
I have done the settings by right click on ibus in system tray
Yes I am using KDE. I have checked but there is no libreoffice-kde4 there is libreoffice-kde and it is installed. Which language did you type in in libreoffice that it worked for you. What settings did you do to get it to work?
Today when I booted up the ibus-daemon showed up in the tray and also the input for firefox. I can type in Hindi in firefox today. Odd because yesterday I could not do it. But when I open Libreoffice to type in Hindi the ibus shows "no input window"
jd

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 5th, '11, 09:41

I have successfully written in Chinese
Try a CTRL + SPACE to change the input method in libreOffice.
Well, don't dispair, if it works in FF, it will eventually work in libreOffice :)
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby mich » Apr 30th, '11, 04:47

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:I have successfully written in Chinese
Try a CTRL + SPACE to change the input method in libreOffice.
Well, don't dispair, if it works in FF, it will eventually work in libreOffice :)

Booted into LiveCD (Beta) and went into Mageia Control Center, then Install & Remove Software,
but unable to locate the packages for Chinese Input.

Only scim-common is available.

Appreciate if you could explain how to write Chinese in Mageia.
mich

Postby isadora » Apr 30th, '11, 08:58

Mich,

First of all, very welcome to the Mageia forum!!!!

For where it concerns the language-issues, Anne Nicolas recently answered this question in the Mageia-blog:
the series of Live-CD's is started with a short set of languages, more iso's coming soon, including Chinese.

http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/04/28/ma ... -live-cds/
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Basic support