[SOLVED] kde 4.8 task manager icon grouping and sorting

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] kde 4.8 task manager icon grouping and sorting

Postby martin_ward » May 28th, '12, 20:31

I have just upgraded from Mageia 1 to 2. With Mageia 1 I could set up the task manager to work the way I want (one icon per task, with text, unsorted: i.e. in the order that the tasks were started) by doing:

Right-click on taskbar: Task Manager Settings:
Grouping: Manually, Sorting: Do Not Sort

I cannot find the same options for Mageia 2, which gives me only one icon (with no text) for all my terminal windows, for example!

I seem to have a "icon only task manager": how do I get the "proper" one?

Edit: OK, I posted too soon: I have solved the problem. This might help someone else with the same issue.

The clue is the "icon only task manager": I needed to go to "Panel Settings", "Add widgets" and add the old "Task Manager", then delete the "Icon only task manager". Then I can set up the grouping and sorting the way I need it.
martin_ward

Re: [SOLVED] kde 4.8 task manager icon grouping and sorting

Postby doktor5000 » May 28th, '12, 22:25

martin_ward wrote:I cannot find the same options for Mageia 2, which gives me only one icon (with no text) for all my terminal windows, for example!
The new default task manager tries to mimic Windows 7 behaviour, FWIW.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby martin_ward » May 28th, '12, 22:33

The new default task manager tries to mimic Windows 7 behaviour, FWIW.

How about an installation option which doesn't mess about with everything:
an option which says "keep everything the way it used to be" would save a lot of trouble!
martin_ward

Postby doktor5000 » May 28th, '12, 22:35

Well, you need to suggest that upstream to the KDE guys or whatever project, as the Mageia installer or package management has no access to the settings in your /home.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Oct 6th, '13, 22:13

I seem to have acquired the icon only task manager. I don't like it and I don't want it. The original poster suggested loading the old and deleting the new, but I can't find either in the add widgets facility. Could some kind soul tell me how to get rid of this abomination, and get back a nice simple task manager? I might have put up with it if it wasn't the minimised windows flashing onto the screen if you chance to mouse-over the task manager.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 6th, '13, 22:27

----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support