Wastebin (Trash) Size

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Wastebin (Trash) Size

Postby bennachie » May 18th, '11, 09:40

In the Beta 2 KDE version of Mageia (fully updated), I keep reaching the point at which the system claims a folder I wish to delete exceeds the size of the Wastebin (Trash). This hasn't happened to me with any other KDE implementation (Kubuntu, Fedora or openSUSE, for example), and I thought that all folders were essentially dynamic entities, limited in size only by the available disk space. Does this phenomenon result from a decision by the Mageia developers to maintain the Wastebin in RAM for the duration of any given session, or something of that sort? Before raising a bug, I'd like to know whether others have had the same experience.
bennachie

Re: Wastebin (Trash) Size

Postby mikala » May 19th, '11, 13:02

The Trash is by default limited @ 10% of the hdd size.
You can change this settings via dolphin.
mikala

Postby bennachie » May 19th, '11, 14:10

Thanks for the heads-up - I'd never come across this before (insufficient KDE experience, I guess).

The default limit is actually 10% of the size of the "/" partition, not of the HDD. This can be pretty limiting if you use a fairly small "/" partition and a much larger "/home" partition, which is my normal situation. In any case, why does the Trash actually have to hold the file being deleted? Would it not be sufficient to mark the file, wherever it is located, as having been moved to the Trash (which is what I always thought happened more or less everywhere except in Windows)?
bennachie

Postby mikala » May 19th, '11, 14:41

bennachie wrote:Thanks for the heads-up - I'd never come across this before (insufficient KDE experience, I guess).

The default limit is actually 10% of the size of the "/" partition, not of the HDD.

Yep i did a mistake when answering :)
bennachie wrote:This can be pretty limiting if you use a fairly small "/" partition and a much larger "/home" partition, which is my normal situation.

Indeed.
bennachie wrote: In any case, why does the Trash actually have to hold the file being deleted? Would it not be sufficient to mark the file, wherever it is located, as having been moved to the Trash (which is what I always thought happened more or less everywhere except in Windows)?

That's a question for upstream here :)
mikala

Postby bennachie » May 19th, '11, 15:03

I got it wrong as well - I've had a look at another installation, and it seems as if, when there happens to be a separate "/home" partition, the limit is 10% of the total space allocated to that partition. The original installation in which the problem arose was one where I had, for simplicity while testing, used a single "/" partition for all purposes.

There is no doubt a case for this option to be available in Dolphin (I suppose somebody might want it to be available for some reason that is not immediately obvious to me). However, I firmly believe that the default setting should be for the limit not to be applicable, and I see no particular reason why a new distribution should perpetuate this odd upstream configuration. The issue about how the Trash actually operates is, I have to agree, one for consideration upstream. I note that the problem definitely doesn't arise in Gnome (Nautilus), and I can't recall it arising in Windows (although Windows does physically move files to the Trash, a process which can be tediously slow).

Thanks again for your help.
bennachie

Return to Basic support