Mageia and propietary, closed sourced drivers

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia and propietary, closed sourced drivers

Postby astroboy » May 18th, '11, 02:02

In Mandriva the dual and DVD install programs did not load any propietary drivers, you had to configure them after finishing the install process. But those drivers were loaded automatically and included for the install process in the Live One CD, so if I used install program from live CD, I already had propietary drivers in use on my system without any tinkering on my part.

Mageia will behave like this? or are there going to be changes about it?

Best Regards
astroboy

Re: Mageia and propietary, closed sourced drivers

Postby jkerr82508 » May 18th, '11, 03:06

astroboy wrote:Mageia will behave like this?

Yes. The DVD and dual-arch CD will provide only Free software. The live CD's will include proprietary device drivers.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby ahmad » May 18th, '11, 22:53

The blocker issue for having proprietary drivers on the Live CD's is having pre-built dkms binary kernel modules packages, this isn't working yet... I don't know for sure when this will be made to work.
ahmad

Postby mgsAbfnc » May 19th, '11, 16:18

But they are easily installable, after the install is complete... right?
mgsAbfnc

Postby wobo » May 19th, '11, 18:34

Right! :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby ahmad » May 19th, '11, 19:34

Yeah; also you can, during the live session, make sure you have an active internet connection and add the online sources and reconfigure your hardware, the changes should be carried over to the installed system; at least I think it should work, not 100% sure, though; from my POV, I'd install the system _first_ then customise/install whatever I want, once I am sure it boots at least :)
ahmad

Re: Mageia and proptietary, closed sourced drivers

Postby rickst29 » May 30th, '11, 01:19

Ahmed, do you hope to create a User-runnable NVidia-Build script for Mageia (as you did for MDV last fall)?

If so, I would love to try and use it on my system. That would be after I have installed both nouveau and any "official" packages which your create for the Distro.
rickst29

Re: Mageia and proptietary, closed sourced drivers

Postby ahmad » May 30th, '11, 02:32

rickst29 wrote:Ahmed, do you hope to create a User-runnable NVidia-Build script for Mageia (as you did for MDV last fall)?

Not my script at all, it's written by Anssi Hannula. :)

rickst29 wrote:If so, I would love to try and use it on my system. That would be after I have installed both nouveau and any "official" packages which your create for the Distro.

The script is till at http://kenobi.mandriva.com/~anssi/nvidia-mdvbuild/

(However, FWIW, it's only useful when you want to package a nvidia driver not in the official repos).
ahmad

Postby rickst29 » May 31st, '11, 00:29

(slaps forehead....) I apologize, deeply, for my somewhat-insulting confusion. My purpose would be to "play with" Fresh Releases and Beta versions, as home-built RPMs. Easier to manage via MCC, without allowing Nividia's *.run to possibly mess up carefully-tuned configuraton files.

Thank you.
rickst29

Postby ahmad » May 31st, '11, 00:38

rickst29 wrote:(slaps forehead....) I apologize, deeply, for my somewhat-insulting confusion.

No problem (I created the sticky, IIRC, topic on the mdv forum about that script).

rickst29 wrote:My purpose would be to "play with" Fresh Releases and Beta versions, as home-built RPMs. Easier to manage via MCC, without allowing Nividia's *.run to possibly mess up carefully-tuned configuraton files.

Thank you.

That's exactly why Anssi (genius) created that script :)
ahmad

Return to Basic support