Installing Mageia on USB for LIVE version

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Installing Mageia on USB for LIVE version

Postby HermesLaws » May 8th, '11, 15:55

Hello Mageia Community,

im a near total Linux noob, worked a long time on windows, changed on SuSe a while back tested Ubuntu but came back to Windows (sad gaming addicts), but now its time to get a computer system that does what the user wants it to do.

So im here :)

I got an 4GB USB Stick and an 16GB USB 3.0 stick,
got the 4GB boot able with DSL and Boot as HDD
the 16GB stick had to be formated as ZIP, but now both are able to boot on my Laptop Sony VGN-FW

I installed Fedora on the 16GB and got it boot able + sound + internet .. nice feeling even when i get with YUM the errors with the PGP--Keys .. so no real update or installation of files is possible.

Sadly i dont get Mageia running,

The newest error is
"bio too big device loop0 (2>0)
squashfs error: squashfs_read_data failed to read 0x0
squashfs_super_block

Freeing unused kernel: unable to read 552k freed
"

on F3
i get
cant open /dev/tty2/
cant open /dev/tty3/
cant open /dev/tty4/

Also i got the problem with usbhid
after the 552k freed hes talking about

found alternate module ata_piix for drive ahci
have to insmode ata_piix
have to insmode usbhid

So sadly im working on Windows, trying the sticks sometimes with virtual box, there i get the same error, or sometimes root write problems, still testing some setups.

So when i compare the append of my working fedora
LABEL linux #fedora installition working
kernel vmlinuz0
append initrd=initrd0.img root=live:UUID=F675-9E30 rw quiet selinux=0 liveimg overlay=UUID=F675-9E30 splash rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 systemd.log_level=warning systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=2M loglevel=3

LABEL live #mageia not working
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=/boot/cdrom/initrd.gz vga=788 fastboot

LABEL linux 24 #SDL working no internet etc
KERNEL linux24
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic qemu quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix frugal

havnt understand the full root= command yet, but still is there something that i can try with the mageia append comment ? or whats about the BOOT_IMAGE

found http://wiki.mandrivauser.de/doku.php?id ... lediystick
but havnt worked at the /etc/init.d/ yet, dunno what to do...

Where and how may i be able to log everything?

Thanks in advance for this new and very interesting looking project.
To have your Mageia system on a stick rdy to boot on nearly each computer would be a wonderful think to have.

Im a little stressed out sorry for the formating, maybe i was to happy to start with linux over again, that i missed how experimental this installing is :)
sadly i didnt got Mageia working on my pc yet, so im here :)

Hermes Laws
HermesLaws

Re: Installing Mageia on USB for LIVE version

Postby isadora » May 8th, '11, 16:28

First of all, very welcome to the Mageia-forum HermesLaws!!!

Suspect that USB kernel modules are not loaded.
Might be a good idea filling out a bug-report at:
https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... mat=guided
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby HermesLaws » May 8th, '11, 16:40

Thanks for the quick response, bug-report done,
sadly no milestone solved yet.

another question wasnt qemu virtual ? (its in the append of SDL, is that why i cant configure SDL, even cant get internet connection done, he will not apply the changes done)

Is there a tip which commands i could add to the append of mageia, i'm a real rookie with a little bit too much fear of destroying something, that i havnt test each command yet, all this shutdown, new start shutdown newstart isnt good for my mood.
HermesLaws

Postby isadora » May 8th, '11, 17:47

HermesLaws wrote:..................
another question wasnt qemu virtual ? (its in the append of SDL, is that why i cant configure SDL, even cant get internet connection done, he will not apply the changes done)

Is there a tip which commands i could add to the append of mageia, i'm a real rookie with a little bit too much fear of destroying something, that i havnt test each command yet, all this shutdown, new start shutdown newstart isnt good for my mood.

My advise: start a new topic for this question.

It's not only for the forum to keep shipshape, but it also makes a chance for others to read the forum, they will earlier find out about your question.
Another advise (for all, and mentioned before): be clear in your topic-subject about the problem/advise, or whatever the content of the message may represent.
Use keywords, that already give some idea of the message, only by reading the subject.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby HermesLaws » May 8th, '11, 18:01

so true, sorry, but i thought i would bring the forum to a state of near explosion with my not existing knowledge about linux.
could start 20 new topic right now :) had so much trouble the last 2 days to getting back into the terminal language frustrating to get backed down by a "bug".
Nothing to change to try at the append start parameters?
(even "append" is 1st mentioned by me in the forum, but okay thats maybe the thing with syslinux, have read that alot changed to grub, while im still not able to work from a linux station, i havnt tried grub yet.)
When i have a working station of mageia i can start promote it :), if its any good.
We need a good supported multi language Linux version!
With the possibility of starting up the whole system from a usb key, is the next step taken, getting all gamers to a better operating system.
HermesLaws

Postby wobo » May 8th, '11, 18:45

As a German you may also want to check the wiki&forum of http://mandrivauser.de - this long standing user community site also supports German users of Mageia - at least until the German forum is set up by the admins of this forum here.
You will find a lot of hints for inexperienced people and nobody will throw a "RTFM" at you :)

Schaus Dir einfach mal an.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby HermesLaws » May 8th, '11, 19:42

Yeah found that forum and some very good help getting back into some problems, thanks for all your work on that :)
Have spent some time with all stories.
Little bit sad im still operating on windows, doesnt make it easier getting back into the command world, im missing the explanation of the commands at some points, but thats out of the windows view.
Hope i can help getting some "rookie" steps/hints into the Tutorials running on the main wiki, when released, the biggest consumer hole is the windows user base.

Will there be a marketing 4GB stick with mageia for 10€+ ? Magpock ?
With all i have read so far, its possible even if full compatibility is never given, or?

I liked tigger-gg's idea, of having my system in the pocket, its just the middle man of the workstation and the home base with the option of working on your stuff - with your programs - on nearly any pc, where you are be able to reboot the system.
HermesLaws

Postby BigLizard » May 22nd, '11, 00:49

Well, for what it's worth, I just installed Mageia RC on an 8GB stick and I'm writing this on an 8 year old Dell Inspiron laptop that has no installed HDD. I ran the CD and Mageia detected the stick immediately. Everything went smooth, no problems at all.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is persistent, so all changes are saved.

-- I'm actually quite green when it comes to Linux. I discovered Mageia on the Linux Mint forum yesterday. I'm running Mint 10 on one desktop, and Ylmf on another, so I've been "diving in" to Linux. Once the offical release of Mageia comes out, I'll be back with many questions.
BigLizard

Postby wobo » May 22nd, '11, 06:22

HermesLaws wrote:Will there be a marketing 4GB stick with mageia for 10€+ ? Magpock ?

Not offered by the Mageia organisation itself.
But you will soon find it in online stores (at least I know one online store in Germany which will offer it soon after release of the final. Stay tuned! :) )
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Return to Basic support