USB start up disc creator

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

USB start up disc creator

Postby thomas2000 » Apr 28th, '11, 02:47

At present a lot of laptops don't have a DVD drive. I will be a big goal when Mageia has a USB start up disc creator, like Ubuntu, which can make on a 8GB USB a bootable install DVD.
thomas2000

Re: USB start up disc creator

Postby Ken-Bergen » Apr 28th, '11, 04:21

The Mageia ISO's like the Mandriva ones are hybrid so good old dd works to create a bootable USB stick so no need for special software.
I would think that Mandriva-seed would also work, I don't know is Mageia includes a version of Mandriva-seed or not.

Ken
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby thomas2000 » Apr 28th, '11, 08:07

Mandriva Seed works only for a live CD.
thomas2000

Postby teaage » Apr 28th, '11, 09:09

Mandriva-Seed also works with Free and Pwp, so it should work with Mageia too. Mandriva-Seed is "just" a fronted for dd. If dd works, Mandriva-Seed should work.

TeaAge
teaage

Postby wobo » Apr 28th, '11, 11:03

1. I can confirm that 'dd' works to write the Mageia isos to a USB medium.
2. I did not use mandriva-seed for a long time. I remember reading something like mandriva-seed not running on Mandriva > 2010.0.
My tests today:

- on an up-to-date Mandriva 2010.2:
The GUI starts but clicking on the button to select an ISO the script crashes with
Code: Select all
klauncher(2763) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
./run.sh: Zeile 12:  2749 Speicherzugriffsfehler  ./$ARCH/mandriva-seed

- on a Mageia 1 Beta2:
The script dies even before starting the GUI:
GLib-GIO: Error: gdbusconnection.c:2279:inittable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 28th, '11, 11:10

AFAIK mandriva seed uses Qt, your "GIO" error is quite strange ...
Did you try to run it directly as root, using su - ? Because the mandriva error is an error when someone try to run a dbus app without access to dbus. Using su - allows the app to run.
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby wobo » Apr 28th, '11, 11:34

Ah, a typical case of routine-blindness! :o Thx for the reminder!

Usually I do not start any gui tool as root, so I am accustomed to use 'su' to become root - which does not fully change to root, only gives privileges. That was the case here in both tests (the GIO error resulted from the environment - using LXDE on that Mageia machine)

After using 'su -' to become root mandriva-seed.sh worked on both machines, so I can confirm that it works in Mageia to write a Beta2 iso to an USB key.

Steps to take:
1. Download mandriva-seed (ex: ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/netbook-editi ... va-seed.sh )
2. make the script executable ( 'chmod +x mandriva-seed.sh' )
3. change to root ('su -' + password)
4. start the script ('./mandriva-seed.sh')
wobo
---
wobo

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 28th, '11, 12:50

I think that this script should be modified to make it ask for root privileges, with kdesu or gksu. But I don't know how to do this ...
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby wobo » Apr 28th, '11, 13:16

Just found out: it's already integrated!
When you start mandriva-seed.sh as user a messagebox will pop up (in KDE) asking for the root password (same as if you start mcc or rpmdrake). Give the password and then OK, the gui will start.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby misc » Apr 28th, '11, 19:41

The main issue with seed is not to make it work on linux, but on Windows. It seems to be broken on windows 7.
misc

Postby wobo » Apr 28th, '11, 22:42

What I found out in Windows 7 with mandriva-seed:
1. I can start the tool
2. I can search for the ISO, mark it in the selection dialogue, resulting in "iso selected" (or similar) in the tool's window.
3. I can't get it to recognize the USB key, no matter what format or size I use.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby Ken-Bergen » Apr 29th, '11, 02:34

wobo wrote:What I found out in Windows 7 with mandriva-seed:
1. I can start the tool
2. I can search for the ISO, mark it in the selection dialogue, resulting in "iso selected" (or similar) in the tool's window.
3. I can't get it to recognize the USB key, no matter what format or size I use.
That's hardly surprising as the latest version of the only two was released 03/11/09

If I remember correctly the latest Windows version never worked with Win7 and the latest Linux version didn't work with many Linux distros of the time, in fact it didn't work with an un-updated version of Mandriva 2008.1 when I tried it at that time.

It is a nice program in that it will only write to USB drives taking away the danger when using dd of overwriting an internal drive.
Hopefully someone will take an interest and continue its development.

Ken
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Has the mandriva site been hacked?

Postby tonyb » May 1st, '11, 03:57

When I download mandriva-seed from
ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/netbook-editi ... va-seed.sh
as per wobo above, there is some initial script then what looks like a huge blob of complied code on the end.
Total size 15.7 Mb!

Doesn't look right. Has this been hacked?
tonyb
tonyb

Re: Has the mandriva site been hacked?

Postby Ken-Bergen » May 1st, '11, 04:31

tonyb wrote:When I download mandriva-seed from
ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/netbook-editi ... va-seed.sh
as per wobo above, there is some initial script then what looks like a huge blob of complied code on the end.
Total size 15.7 Mb!

Doesn't look right. Has this been hacked?
tonyb
That is the correct one.
I'm not sure what the licence on it is however as I've been unable to find the source code. :shock:

Ken
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby Ken-Bergen » May 1st, '11, 06:13

wobo wrote:What I found out in Windows 7 with mandriva-seed:
1. I can start the tool
Wolfgang, I just stumbled across this
http://www.pubbs.net/201005/mandriva/56224-cooker-is-mandriva-seed-maintained.html
It would seem that with Vista and W7 you have to be running with Administrative privileges for mandriva_seed to see USB drives.
As I don't have any Windows machines perhaps you could test to confirm this.

Ken
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby wobo » May 1st, '11, 06:38

Ken-Bergen wrote:It would seem that with Vista and W7 you have to be running with Administrative privileges for mandriva_seed to see USB drives.
As I don't have any Windows machines perhaps you could test to confirm this.

Just tested this, can not confirm. I started mandriva-seed with the option "Run with adminstrative rights" but it does not find the USB device.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby charcler » May 4th, '11, 00:56

Question :
# isohybrid --partok mageia.iso
# dd if=mageia.iso of=/dev/sdc

(Where sdc is usbkey, replace by yours (/dev/sdb for example, not sdb1). That's all.)

Normally, works with any distributions which include a decent/recent version of syslinux.
Tested with hdt.iso on Fedora, works great : bootable hdt usbkey created perfectly. Same with mageia.iso ? confirm ?
;)
charcler

Postby wobo » May 4th, '11, 05:55

charcler wrote:Same with mageia.iso ? confirm ?

No need for the isohybrid line with Mageia isos, they are hybrid already. Just use your normal 'dd' string.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby charcler » May 4th, '11, 11:35

Logic ;)
charcler

Postby zekemx » Aug 25th, '11, 18:20

Hi to all,

Have you guys been able to reuse your USB key after using Mandriva-seed for linux?.

Let me explain what happen to me.

I used mandriva-seed.sh to copy Mageia 1 CD Gnome version... It worked great.. I was able to install Mageia 1 on my friends netbook with no problems.. I tried unetbootin before but it could not create a booteable USB key.

I later used Mageia hard drive administration to repartition my USB key and reformat it.. I was able to delete the partitions that mandriva-seed created and created a new one to reuse my USB Key. Of course I did a format too.

I ejected the USB key and put it back again since I could not see the partition I created.. I used only 1 partition using the whole USB key.

But now I cannot see my USB key, so I went back to the Mageia hard drive administration tool, and guess what?.. No USB key detected.

Now I cannot use my USB key with Linux. I inserted it to windows and I am able to see it, partition it and format it.

Is there a way to do it with linux?... I hate to depend on windows for this.

Regards
Ezekiel Partida
zekemx

Postby daik » Dec 21st, '11, 12:41

zekemx, I know I am very late to the party, but I just ran into the same problem you had. I also spent about an hour figuring out wtf was going on and I think I know what it is and how to fix it. Mind you most of this is guesswork so don't take any of this as fact, and I also recommend you check all your commands before trying them, your system is different so be sure to update all references to the correct ones. \
First off, the drive shows up when I check dmesg, but it can not be mounted. Manually mounting it may work, but it is always read only, not great.
I opened gparted through the mageia control centre (I'm on Gnome btw). It complains about the partition table being broken, and asks if I am willing to loose it, I say yes, and create a new partition and format it. Still no go.
At this point I figure it has to be something more basic broken, so I fire up good ol' dd and go
sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/tmp/borked.iso
to dump the entire stick to an iso file (for speed, you can reduce the size should you want to, I had a small stick so it was quick enough to just dump the lot).
With all the data in a file I do
od -Ax -tx1 ./borked.iso | less

I compared that with partition table and mbr mentioned in this post http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8366?page=0,3 and it is way different, perhaps that's my issue? I figure that since there is nothing on the drive and it doesn't work I've got nothing to loose. So I fire up dd again.
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=512 count=1001952
this will overwrite your first 512 mb with just null. After that I fire up gparted again and create a partition and format it, now it works! The drive can be removed and when inserted the partition is automatically mounted, just as it should be.

My guess is that you had the drive mounted when you ran the mandriva-seed.sh script? I know I did (didn't realise at the time), and I think this caused the issues. When unmounted the mbr and partition tables were broken beyond (easy)recovery. Nuking them and starting over fixed it for me.
daik

Postby tkmm » May 29th, '12, 04:42

I have successfully dd'ed the Mageia 1 LiveCD iso to a usb thumb drive. I've installed from it and continue to run it live from the USB drive sometimes. The same command produced a live usb of Mageia 2, but I had compatibility issues with the machine I tested it on... As root (replace /dev/sdb with your usb drive):

dd if=/path/to/Mageia_LiveCD.ISO of=/dev/sdb

It may take a few minutes for dd to complete the write, but once it is done you should be able to restart and (if your bios supports it) boot from your newly created liveusb of Mageia.

I used Mageia 1 Gnome this way and on the desktop was an icon to install to hard disk. Double click it and install! Welcome to Mageia!

Good luck! Enjoy!
0x4D616765696120757365722073696E63652056657273696F6E2D31
tkmm

Postby Garthhh » Jul 9th, '12, 16:21

a similar thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2024
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Postby ablubeti » Feb 3rd, '16, 16:12

actually i'm having problem with making my usb bootable from that iso
ablubeti

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 4th, '16, 12:23

Please open a separate thread for your issue e.g. like Garthhh did, and provide essential details like what image did you use, and what software to write the image to your usb drive.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Next

Return to Basic support