USB start up disc creator

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Re: USB start up disc creator

Postby ablubeti » Feb 4th, '16, 20:36

i'm having problem with making my pendrive bootable
i wanna to make a livecd for me
ablubeti

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 4th, '16, 23:01

As already asked in the other thread, please provide essential details like what image did you use, and what software to write the image to your usb drive, and what actual problem you have.

For reference, please see also
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/IsoDumper_Wr ... USB_sticks
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installation ... lash_drive
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby petedan10 » May 1st, '16, 04:47

I believe that Rufus (mentioned in the second link) works fine if you select the ISO and then when asked if you prefer ISO or dd method you select the dd method (the first option is the default whereas the second is the one that works).
petedan10

Postby doktor5000 » May 1st, '16, 20:56

That is mentioned here, on the separate page for the windows tools: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Dump_Mageia_ ... tive_tools
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby petedan10 » May 18th, '16, 22:41

When you select the "ISO Image" option (as described in the wiki) and press "Start" you are presented with another dialog which says that the Mageia ISO was detected to be a hybrid image and you can select whether you want to choose ISO mode or dd mode. I believe that selecting dd gives better results.
Attachments
mageia-rufus.gif
mageia-rufus.gif (21.96 KiB) Viewed 16963 times
petedan10

Postby srikar » Jul 21st, '16, 23:03

If you have an Android phone, you can use an app called 'DriveDroid'. You can mount any iso image as a bootable image, connect your Android phone to the USB drive of your machine and it should boot into that Linux live distro. Works with almost every distro including Mageia
srikar

Postby zeebra » Aug 20th, '16, 02:17

Have to say this is one of the most brilliant and simple features of Mageia.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installation ... lash_drive

No need for any special programs and silly things. Just put it on the damn disk. Most other distroes have something to learn from this. :o Ubuntu :oops:
zeebra

Postby dirkme » Mar 23rd, '17, 01:19

thomas2000 wrote:At present a lot of laptops don't have a DVD drive. I will be a big goal when Mageia has a USB start up disc creator, like Ubuntu, which can make on a 8GB USB a bootable install DVD.

Use ETCHER, that will do.
dirkme

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 23rd, '17, 20:09

Please don't suggest arbitrary tools. We already have an "USB startup disc creator" which was linked previously and is documented in our wiki and supported.
I don't see etcher listed in your wiki for validated tools.
----
doktor5000

Postby dirkme » Mar 24th, '17, 02:22

doktor5000 wrote:Please don't suggest arbitrary tools. We already have an "USB startup disc creator" which was linked previously and is documented in our wiki and supported.
I don't see etcher listed in your wiki for validated tools.

Don't understand this, he asked for help, I provided an easy working solution and it is free, what exactly is the problem?

It is not that Mageia is Libre certified.
dirkme

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 24th, '17, 18:46

The post you replied to is from 2011 and has received numerous working answers to supported tools since then, and the OP never mentioned that those are not working.

Given your answer, you will provide support here in the forums for ETCHER?
----
doktor5000

Postby dirkme » Mar 25th, '17, 07:48

doktor5000 wrote:The post you replied to is from 2011 and has received numerous working answers to supported tools since then, and the OP never mentioned that those are not working.

Given your answer, you will provide support here in the forums for ETCHER?

Just mark it as solved and sorry that I tried to help, won't happen anymore.
dirkme

Postby fabulous-muller » Sep 4th, '17, 23:57

Have you tried Flash-Image writer ? It's on the repository. Worked quite right for me. It's a DD gui mainly but works.
https://madb.mageia.org/package/show/name/flash-imagewriter
fabulous-muller

Postby tanu19 » Oct 29th, '19, 16:36

Hey I found one that works and is great. It is QT based and created by Jonathan Riddle Kubuntu founder. It's new and is called ISO Image Writer. I just booted into the Mageia with the Classic ISO install media to see if it would work. It does. Here is a link for download. https://download.kde.org/unstable/isoimagewriter/
Computer: Dell OptiPlex 980 SFF
HDD: 250 GiB
Processor: Intel x 4 i5 1st gen, CPU: 660 @ 3.33 GHz
8 GiB Memory
Mageia KDE 17.1
(Cool am happy)
tanu19

Postby DENNIS1940 » Apr 5th, '20, 03:04

What is "dd"? It must be an abbreviation but nothing I know fits it (donald duck, dead dog, delayed destruction,duck decoy).
I'm trying to load files onto a usb thumbdrive that my mageia 6 seems not to see unless I'm recording to a cd ( which works infrequently) . Would "dd"see the usb drive?
DENNIS1940

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 6th, '20, 18:16

dd is a standard and commonly known unix tool. Most people would refer to it as disk dump, but it's actually an acronym for data definition. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)
dd would see any device, same as any other command that operates at a device-level.

Apart from that, it would be appreciated if you wouldn't bump an arbitrary thread, which is more then 3 years old. Chances of a reply are pretty slim, and that is also considered as crossposting.
----
doktor5000

Previous

Return to Basic support