[SOLVED] Desktop Environment recommendation for Mageia 8

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Desktop Environment recommendation for Mageia 8

Postby maluethy » Jan 10th, '22, 11:21

Is there a Desktop Environment which is recommended or better preferred for Mageia? - I mean in terms of stability and simplicity of Mageia. - I thought I read a hint that Xfce is recommended for Mageia 7. Is this also the case for Mageia 8?

My question is related to a newly installed Mageia 8 system. After a few restarts, some of the icons in Libre Office are no longer displayed correctly, which is quite irritating. - The new installation of Mageia 8 went perfectly with the classic installation. When selecting the user interface, I saw the choice between Plasma and Gnome (Xfce is not offered with the classic installation or did I miss it?). The user interface (KDE Plasma with Mageia settings) and the programmes (Firefox, Libre Office) ran flawlessly after the installation at first glance. I was able to scale the high-resolution Dell P2415Q display appropriately. I wanted to install the printer driver for an Epson ET-4750. Somehow I got lost and clicked the wrong way and installed the control centre and driver for HP printers in the KDE Plasma settings. Only later did I see the note to set up the printer from the Mageia welcome window. I rebooted a few times and since then the icons in Libre Office have been misaligned. - I will reinstall Mageia 8 again. I am concerned about the choice of desktop and the behaviour of Libre Office.

Question details: Mageia 8; Linux kernel 5.15.11-desktop-3,mga8; system 64-bit; KDE Plasma.

Thanks in advance for the information on desktop selection.
Attachments
LibreOffice_S2.jpg
LibreOffice_S2.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Last edited by maluethy on Jan 11th, '22, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
maluethy

Re: Desktop Environment recommendation for Mageia 8

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 10th, '22, 11:36

maluethy wrote:(Xfce is not offered with the classic installation or did I miss it?

Whilst the installation process where you can chose between Plasma and Gnome you have the possibility to click other or custom. There you can chose other desktop environments.

But you don't need a complete new installation for that. You can also search in the MCC Software center for "task-xfce" (set the search filter to "all") and install it. Now at the login screen you can chose Xfce.

There are no real recommendations. If you have good hardware and want to customise your system as much as possible, chose Plasma. If you have older hardware, chose a lighter environment like Xfce or Lxqt or smt. If you want a simple environment where you can't do much settings, chose Gnome.
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Jan 10th, '22, 13:00

Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 10th, '22, 18:37

maluethy wrote:I thought I read a hint that Xfce is recommended for Mageia 7. Is this also the case for Mageia 8?

There's not really one desktop environment which is recommended / preferred. Just use what works best for you - you can easily install several desktop environments and try them all out.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby maluethy » Jan 10th, '22, 22:29

Thank you for the further information on the Desktop Environment.

I am surprised that so much can be post-installed. However, I am irritated by the lack of icons for Libre Office in the current installation. Is there a general recommendation on how to solve something like this? What is the best way to proceed?
maluethy

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 10th, '22, 22:50

I believe the icons are there (as i can see parts of them in your picture) but you seem to have a unfortunate theme/icon color combination. Light on light. You can try to change the icon theme in Libreoffice. As you are using a german interface i will give you the path to it in german.

In Libre office writer: Extras -> Optionen -> LibreOffice -> Ansicht -> Symbolstil

You can also try to change the background color of the icons to a darker one: Extras -> Optionen -> LibreOffice -> Personalisierung
sturmvogel

Postby maluethy » Jan 11th, '22, 14:28

In fact, I adjusted the icon style in the Libre Office settings and now I see the icons again. > Thank you for the tip! I wouldn't have thought of that because I haven't changed the settings in Libre Office. I changed the layout in the KDE user interface as a test and apparently it also changed the layout in Libre Office (which I didn't expect).
maluethy

Return to Basic support