[SOLVED] No Mageia 8 background on desktop

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] No Mageia 8 background on desktop

Postby johnpenguin » Dec 24th, '21, 20:28

I have upgraded several installations from 7 to 8, and on a specific one the background image hasn't been updated to the new Mageia 8 image. The new image is displayed during logging in, and then reverts back to the old one.

The mageia-theme package has been installed and the backgrounds are in their own directory (/usr/share/mga/backgrounds), but not in the directory with the other backgrounds. Also they don't show up in Preferences/Appearance/Background, which doesn't happen in other installations.

Is there some way around this without breaking anything?
Last edited by johnpenguin on Jan 3rd, '22, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
johnpenguin

Re: No Mageia 8 background on desktop

Postby JoesCat » Dec 25th, '21, 00:12

Is there anything particularly different between this PC and the others?

For example, doing some reading, I see xfce holds backgrounds in /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops and checks ~/.local/share/xfce4/backdrops/

Assuming KDE Plasma it appears to find info here:
cat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

looking at the home directory a few things have shifted and migrated around with time, example:
~/.kde/share/
~/.kde4/share/
~/.local/share/

Something to note is....
/usr/share/* really should be seen as a shared read-only area amongst multiple users. A local user doesn't modify these.
Therefore I'd expect Preferences/Appearance/Background should clone wallpapers into ~/.local directory and use that instead.

During login, I would expect that the background is controlled by root, and once transferred to the local user, then, the user's local settings are used instead.

Reading this https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... e-plasma-5 where a user can potentially have hundreds of backgrounds, it would make sense to copy /usr/share/mga/backgrounds into that local folder. If space was at a premium, you could probably add symlinks from inside your ~/.local wallpaper directory to the /usr/share directory instead. Maybe something looking like this:
Code: Select all
default.jpg -> default.png
default.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1600x1200.png
Mageia-Default-1024x600.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1024x600.png
Mageia-Default-1280x1024.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1280x1024.png
Mageia-Default-1280x768.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1280x768.png
Mageia-Default-1600x1200.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1600x1200.png
Mageia-Default-1920x1200.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-1920x1200.png
Mageia-Default-3840x2160.png -> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-3840x2160.png
JoesCat

Postby johnpenguin » Jan 1st, '22, 07:32

I should mention that all installations use MATE, which makes this behavior even stranger. However, all installations were upgraded at different times with different versions of M8, so I suspect something was not right with the most recent version.

I don't see any relevant directory under ./local/share, but I guess I could make a directory there and store the new Mageia 8 background along with a few custom icons. Your observation on proper use of /usr/share makes perfect sense.
johnpenguin

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 2nd, '22, 00:21

Does this still occur if you create a new user and login as that user?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Jan 2nd, '22, 09:08

this was observed during Mageia 5 to Mageia 6 upgrades : https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20943
during pre-release testing.
it appears to have been resolved by changes to packaging during the testing phase, not as a response to the report.

Bugzilla search found no other mention, but I am not a bugzilla search wizard.
benmc

Postby johnpenguin » Jan 3rd, '22, 03:45

I found a simple solution by using dconf-editor. Navigated to /org/mate/desktop/background/picture-filename and set the switch to "use default value", which by the way is the /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.jpg location.

After you switch it on, you can switch it off again if you prefer, and the new Mageia 8 background is now listed along others in the Appearance applet.

Obviously not a critical issue, but as we love Mageia we enjoy each version's new background!
johnpenguin

Return to Basic support