Force re-install (download) of package (kernel-source)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Force re-install (download) of package (kernel-source)

Postby superbee » Oct 28th, '21, 02:49

Hello,

Mageia noob here. I am following some instructions to compile the kernel from source to solve some driver issues. Usually I can just do

Code: Select all
$ cd /usr/src
$ urpmi kernel-source-5.10.62-1.mga8

then a folder is created in /usr/src which contains the relevant files, which I can build. But if I try to do this then I get

Code: Select all
$ urpmi kernel-source-5.10.62-1.mga8
Package kernel-source-5.10.62-1.mga8-1-1.mga8.noarch is already installed

I don't know why I already have this package installed. I am scared to uninstall and reinstall it because I don't want to brick my system (I don't fully understand how the kernel works). How do I install (download) the files?
superbee

Re: Force re-install (download) of package (kernel-source)

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 28th, '21, 16:56

If it's already installed, then you already have the relevant files, probably because you installed it at some point in time (kernel-source is not installed by default)
But why do you want to install/download it again?

Apart from that, you can't brick anything by uninstalling / installing kernel-source again, it's not required for the system.

It would also help, if you would mention what driver issues you have in particular that you want to fix.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Oct 28th, '21, 22:49

Welcome to the forum and Mageia, superbee :)

You may want to see if latest kernel from updates or backport solves your driver issue, whatever that is.

What instructions are you following?

Regarding kernels, we have in our wiki:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Kernel_flavours
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_set_up_kernel_options
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Kernel_update_workflow
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby superbee » Oct 29th, '21, 03:45

Thanks for the replies.

Apart from that, you can't brick anything by uninstalling / installing kernel-source again, it's not required for the system.

Thanks, this was the main thing I was worried about because I don't know how the package already got installed. I thought it might have been a default package that is important for running things. So I will just try uninstalling then reinstalling it, since I don't know where the relevant files would be located so I can build the source etc.

What instructions are you following?

The issue is we have some legacy software that conflicts with the existing Nvidia driver (due to some unknown bug), and it was found that disabling the driver and then reinstalling it via the script available on the Nvidia site after rebuilding the kernel from source seems to fix things (I am just following someone's instructions here, I don't fully understand the issues, but it has been proved to work for us).

superbee

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 29th, '21, 16:31

superbee wrote:since I don't know where the relevant files would be located so I can build the source etc.

The respective files for the kernel -devel headers are located below /usr/src/kernel-$(uname -r) if you have only the kernel-devel package installed (which is usually sufficient for building external kernel modules for the current kernel)
Respectively /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build is a symlink to that folder, which is usually used by any kernel module makefiles.

And for the full sources it's below /usr/src/kernel-<version> (without the respective kernel "flavour like -desktop or -server)
Respectively /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source is a symlink to that folder.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Oct 29th, '21, 17:20

More commonly speaking, you can see in the package, what files it contain and where they will be installed. (except results of any scripts)

For example in MCC, drakrpm, you can select the package and in the lower pane you can select to see such information fold out by clicking four headlines that will unfold (the viewing and scrolling is sometimes a tad quirky but works)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Basic support