[SOLVED] Get location working for Night Color in Plasma

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Get location working for Night Color in Plasma

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 22nd, '21, 01:15

I installed Geoclue but apparently there's something else that I'm missing. It's off a fairly fresh install. Let me know what other info I can provide or what I need to do. Thanks!

Edit to save scrolling: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29407
Last edited by Dlrobin874 on Aug 25th, '21, 03:30, edited 2 times in total.
Dlrobin874

Re: Get location working for Night Color in Plasma

Postby benmc » Aug 22nd, '21, 04:00

I set mine to "sunrise and sunset at manual location" and added my general GPS co-ords. (digits before the decimal point)
seems to work ok for me.

this laptop stays at home.
benmc

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 22nd, '21, 04:33

I saw that option and it should work fine, but I'd still like to see if I can get geoclue working just because I now I want to fix it.
Dlrobin874

Postby sturmvogel » Aug 22nd, '21, 07:07

I saw that option and it should work fine, but I'd still like to see if I can get geoclue working just because I now I want to fix it.

What exactly do you want to fix? You need to have a internet connection enabled so that geoclue can fetch your IP-based position. If you don't have a conection, you have to set your GPS position/time settings manually as mentioned by benmc.

Check also "systemsettings" -> "startup&shutdown" -> "background services" -> "ColourCorrect geolocation updater"
sturmvogel

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 24th, '21, 03:38

I have an internet connection and it's not getting the location. Just showing 0, 0. Whether I set it to automatic or manual and try to autodetect. ColourCorrect is enabled in system settings like you mentioned. If it's working correctly for you I might just try a reinstall and make sure I didn't accidentally break something.
Dlrobin874

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 24th, '21, 14:05

Well it appears Plasma is supposed to be directly calling Mozilla location services directly and not using geoclue, from reading the code. Credit to this reddit comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/f ... on/fmhplgx

So it looks like one of 3 thing is happening: either it's a bug, Mozilla location services is down, or I --auto-orphans'ed myself.

If anyone on Plasma can tell me if their location is working properly I'll assume it's #3 and reinstall.
Dlrobin874

Postby benmc » Aug 24th, '21, 22:45

Hi again,

as earlier mentioned, I have set manual location.
reason: couldn't get auto-location to work, and I wasn't prepared to faff around to get it to work, so I would suggest option#1: Bug in Plasma.
benmc

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 24th, '21, 22:58

Thanks! Looking that way. I think Debian ships the same version of Plasma in Bullseye that Mageia does so I might throw it on a spare partition and narrow down if it's an upstream bug or a packaging issue in Mageia.

If it's upstream 5.20 is out of support so I'll deal, if it's a Mageia issue I'll report it.
Dlrobin874

Postby benmc » Aug 24th, '21, 23:03

just installed stellarium on another laptop that I know has never had it.

It knows where I am, to nearest city, but night colour doesnt, so def points to a Plasma bug
benmc

Postby Dlrobin874 » Aug 25th, '21, 03:22

Well it seems I found the solution, if you can call it that.

I switched to NetworkManager and it works. Using net_applet apparently either doesn't expose whatever it needs to for geolocation, or doesn't tell the kcm module that it's online so it never even tries to check.

So bug report it is, I'm going to mark this solved.
Dlrobin874

Return to Basic support