Weird: DVD drive tray opens briefly upon resume from suspend

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Weird: DVD drive tray opens briefly upon resume from suspend

Postby mc » Jul 25th, '21, 11:05

I recently installed Mageia 8 and now find a rather odd and startling behavior: The DVD tray quickly opens and closes crashing into the cover on my machine and knocking it open. I believe it happens when resuming from suspend, although it could be just the blank screen. I haven't observed a consistent timing/pattern for when it happens. There isn't even a DVD in the drive and I haven't had any applications open that would use it.

I was unable to find any report of a similar problem in the forum. I have no idea where to begin to make this behavior stop. Any guidance would be appreciated.
mc

Re: Weird: DVD drive tray opens briefly upon resume from sus

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 25th, '21, 16:34

Hi there, this seems to have been introduced upstream with kernel 5.10.48 - if you use any kernel older then that, this shouldn't happen. See https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29262

I don't see any viable workaround for this in the meantime.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mc » Jul 26th, '21, 02:49

Thank you doktor5000, you've pointed me in the right direction. A wider search with the kernel number 5.10.48 revealed a few reports of similar problems on other distros. I'm now on kernel 5.10.52-desktop-1.mga8 and the problem persists.

This discussion at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213759 seemed relevant.

A reddit user did find something like a workaround: leave a DVD in the drive. It spins up and may ask to launch, but at least in doesn't open the tray. This worked for me too. I wouldn't really call it a solution, but it'll do while I wait for a kernel update.
mc

Postby isadora » Jul 26th, '21, 19:28

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED/CLOSED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED/CLOSED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 26th, '21, 20:48

Well, it's not really closed or solved unless we get a kernel update for that ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jul 26th, '21, 20:55

Bleep-bloop, i'm the SOLVED/CLOSED-bot.

Error while executing. :):):)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Basic support