identifying the graphic elemen in an icon [Closed]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

identifying the graphic elemen in an icon [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 13th, '21, 06:42

I have an icon on my desktop, that I'd like to copy onto another machine. The icon in question is a stylised tree, for an application of some family tree software. It's not the official icon for the task (there isn't one), but one I found a long time ago. Is there any way of identifying this icon graphic, so that I can find it and copy it off. The properties for the icon are no help, I can change it to another,in 'properties' but only from the list. It may be a .svg file, but a search revealed more than 3,000 .svg files, and there's no reason for it being labelled in any recognisable file name. Looking for 'tree.svg' is unlikely to get me far.
Last edited by rodgoslin on Jul 13th, '21, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: identifying the graphic elemen in an icon

Postby sturmvogel » Jul 13th, '21, 10:48

You could search on the homepage of this programm for it (I assume it is no official package from Mageia repo).

Or open the standard icon folders, switch on preview/big icons and search visually for it if you don't know the icon name.
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Jul 13th, '21, 12:51

Open the .desktop file in a text editor.
In the line starting "Icon=" you see the icon filename, maybe complete path.
If it is in a standard location it seems no path nor extension is shown, but now easier to search.
If everything fail, take a screenshot of it...
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 13th, '21, 13:45

Thanks, morgano. That was exactly right. It was, in fact in the directory that held all the family tree data. Which should make it a doddle copying it over. This is something I should definitely remember!

Cheers, Rod Goslin
rodgoslin

Re: identifying the graphic elemen in an icon [Closed]

Postby jiml8 » Jul 14th, '21, 19:13

I maintain a file called Jims_Howtos.txt, which contains all kinds of odds and ends that I will never remember but might need to know in the future.

Over the years, it has become fairly large, but I still refer to it at least every week for some piece of information that I don't recall.

Just a suggestion...
jiml8

Re: identifying the graphic elemen in an icon [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 14th, '21, 20:05

I've tried that, but forgot where I'd put the book!
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support