Encfs in Mga8 [Closed]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Encfs in Mga8 [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 9th, '21, 09:36

I hate to seem to be going on about encfs, but I've just installed Mga8, on a machine, and the needed application gnome-encfs-manager is not in the Mga8 repositories. While the encfs executable is there, the gui launcher and mounter is missing. Presumably encfs can still be run as a command line entity, the gui makes it so much easier to implement. Any idea, anyone as to why it's missing, when it will come back, and whether the package in Mga7 will substitute.
Last edited by rodgoslin on Jul 9th, '21, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: Encfs in Mga8

Postby sturmvogel » Jul 9th, '21, 10:05

There is the package "cryptkeeper" in our repos.
sturmvogel

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 9th, '21, 10:30

Ah, It does seem to fulfil the same function as gnome-encfs-manager. I'll have to give it a whirl. The two directories, encrypted and in clear, are on a NAS unit so all my devices on the LAN can see them, but I've not yet bitten the bullet of setting up the directory shares on the Mgs8 install. It's not a fun exercise! Setting up shares in Mageia, is more notable for what does not work, than for what does.
rodgoslin

Postby isadora » Jul 9th, '21, 10:43

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Encfs in Mga8 [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 9th, '21, 13:49

Thanks Sturmvogel, I've not yet sorted out the file sharing side of things, but, I did construct an ecnfs setup in Mga8, and it does seem the same with only minor variation, which might be just the way the original setup was made. I'll keep isadora happy and close the thread
rodgoslin

Re: Encfs in Mga8 [Closed]

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '21, 18:45

rodgoslin wrote:I'll keep isadora happy and close the thread

It's not about keeping moderators happy, it helps others find solutions quicker when searching for specific issues and adds visibility.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support