switching desktops in mageia 8

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

switching desktops in mageia 8

Postby dfgrbac » Jul 2nd, '21, 00:19

Over the years of using mageia, I have formed a habit of using my mouse scroll wheel to switch desktops. It's fast and convenient. And in mageia 8, it no longer works. I don't see this option in KDE system settings either.

The only way to switch desktops I have found so far is to put the mouse pointer in the upper-left corner, and that does not always work. Sometimes it just ignores the pointer.

I upgraded my mageia 7 to mageia 8 using the one-click upgrade icon in the system tray. This seemed to go smoothly, although I was not watching every minute. It said it was successfully upgraded.

Can anyone help?
dfgrbac

Re: switching desktops in mageia 8

Postby daniewicz » Jul 2nd, '21, 04:17

This doesn't help you but the scroll wheel for switching desktops works with Mageia 8 using XFCE.
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Postby morgano » Jul 2nd, '21, 11:25

I have set top screen edge to show all desktops. For me it always works. (nvidia-current driver)
I alseo have top left corner to show all windows, right windows on current desktop, bottom left for screen lock. (and down left is launch menu)

I have the desktop widget (whatever it is called)in the panel.
I have a large screen and panel at left, so o can have it rather big.
It shows miniatures of all desktops, with windows having progam icons on them.
I can switch by clicking the desktop i want, hide windows on current if i click it, and i can drag windows between desktops.
Scroll wheel works over it, but is is quicker to just click the correct desktop.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby magic » Jul 2nd, '21, 17:05

Seems like it's a KDE issue. See:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419698
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419867

Switching the layout from 'Folder View' to 'Desktop' (Right click on the desktop > Configure Desktop And Wallpaper > Wallpaper) makes it work again...but that's no use if you want/use desktop icons, for instance.

-
TBH I always used Ctrl+Fx or sometimes clicked on the panel. But thinking about it that's probably more to do with some of the suboptimal hardware I used to live with.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby bbfuller » Jul 2nd, '21, 19:02

Like dfgrbac I remember being able to switch desktops in KDE by putting my mouse pointer anywhere on a blank section of desktop and rolling the scroll wheel.

It worked OK until the appearing desktop had a window open where the mouse pointer was located. Then it stopped working as a desktop switcher and scrolled the window it was over instead.

I've just taken a look at the three M's.

MX Linux still exhibits that behaviour with Plasma 5.14.5

Mageia will change desktop with the scroll wheel but only when the pointer is over the Desktop Switcher widget. That's Plasma 5.20.4

Manjaro is the same as Mageia only with Plasma 5.21.5

I have to say I prefer the behaviour as it is now and I guess that was the KDE developer consensus.
bbfuller

Postby dfgrbac » Jul 2nd, '21, 21:23

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. At least they give me options.

Anyway, I still prefer my habitual scroll by moving the pointer to a blank area of the desktop and scrolling. Maybe someone will restore the option someday.
dfgrbac

Return to Basic support