[SOLVED] default browser setting fails in some programs

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] default browser setting fails in some programs

Postby leon244 » Jun 14th, '21, 19:09

I am using Waterfox as my default browser and have set it as such in System Settings and File Associations.
Despite this some programs such as Blender which have online manuals that can be accessed from within the program always open Firefox. I cannot find a setting within Blender to change this and I cannot find any file association that has Firefox as a first choice.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Using:
Operating System: Mageia 8
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.76.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.43-desktop-1.mga8
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Memory: 11.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 470/PCIe/SSE2
Last edited by leon244 on Jun 15th, '21, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
leon244
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 19:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: default browser setting fails in some programs

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '21, 22:30

Have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/User:Doktor5 ... me_handler on how to check and set that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 16728
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: default browser setting fails in some programs

Postby leon244 » Jun 14th, '21, 23:47

So I had to create a waterfox.desktop
I then followed the instructions and after it xdg-settings check default-web-browser returned waterfox.desktop now instead of firefox.
But kreadconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication returns firefox.desktop

Is a reboot necessary? Is there something else I can change?
leon244
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 19:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: default browser setting fails in some programs

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '21, 23:54

Well, you should already have a waterfox.desktop somewhere, how do you start it otherwise?

Also, what do the commands listed to check the default browser return currently ?
Code: Select all
xdg-settings get default-web-browser
xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler http
xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler https
xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http
xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https
for i in application/x-extension-html application/x-extension-shtml application/x-extension-xhtml application/xhtml+xml text/html; do xdg-mime query default $i; done


The command for KDE might not be relevant anymore, I've not updated that section since quite some time.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 16728
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: default browser setting fails in some programs

Postby leon244 » Jun 15th, '21, 00:31

I had downloaded waterfox from it website and installed it. There is no waterfox.desktop file, but I did finally find one in ~/.local/share/applications named "userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop" and I used that to plug into the variable "browser"
Having done that then this is what I get

Code: Select all
[user is leon]$>xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler http
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
[Mon Jun 14; path: ~]
[user is leon]$>xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler https
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
[Mon Jun 14; path: ~]
[user is leon]$>xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
[Mon Jun 14; path: ~]
[user is leon]$>xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
[Mon Jun 14; path: ~]
[user is leon]$>for i in application/x-extension-html application/x-extension-shtml application/x-extension-xhtml application/xhtml+xml text/html; do xdg-mime query default $i; done
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop
userapp-Waterfox-T6T920.desktop


This fixes my issue. thank you. Interestingly the command kreadconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication still returns "firefox.desktop"

I will label this as Solved!
Thank you for your help and patience
leon244
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 19:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA


Return to Basic support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest