Stuck at Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Stuck at Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen

Postby DiBosco » May 20th, '21, 13:59

Folks,

I'm having massive problems. I was trying to run kicad in Mageia 7 today and it was crashing every time I tried to launch the schematic editor, so I rebooted and got stuck at the Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen. Googling around suggested a graphics problem.

I've had nightmares before with video drivers and had to reinstall the OS so I have tried that. Thought I may as well use the opportunity to update to Mageia 8.

However, after install I am stuck in exactly the same place. It looks like the nokmsboot is already set.

Tried stuff here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13784

I have an nvidia card, which was working just fine. It's a relatively modern card. I've tried with noueveau, vesa and nvidea driver to no avail.

Not even using vesa driver will get me to boot. I'm trying to mount a USB stick and give you journalctl -xb and will post that when I can, but if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Edit: I cannot mount a USB stick with write permissions, I can't get a network connection so I am out of ideas of how to get the journal off the computer.

Edit 2: Tried reinstalling Mageia 8 using nouveau driver and now it's stuck at Open SSH sever daemon.
DiBosco

Re: Stuck at Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen

Postby DiBosco » May 20th, '21, 17:16

I think it might be a HDD failure.

I've tried using a spinning platter device and it's OK.

This is the third time I've had a flash based drive on my desktop machine die on me. Not going to use them any more, can't live with that level of unreliability for a little extra speed.
DiBosco

Postby doktor5000 » May 20th, '21, 17:33

Can you please mark the thread as [DONE] then ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby DiBosco » May 20th, '21, 18:35

Actually, I can't sorry.

I have just installed the updates on the spinning platter install and it's doing exactly the same, so I am no longer convinced it is the HDD.

I am pretty sure I just did a load of updates before the Mageia 7 failure. Could it be the latest nvidia drivers are borking the machine?

I have this vague memory from years ago of trying updates from nvidia themselves when similar things happened.
DiBosco

Postby DiBosco » May 20th, '21, 19:05

Well, if I installed Mageia 8 on the M.1 drive and do not do the updates then all is OK. So, I would say it's very likely that the latest nvidia drivers have a problem.
DiBosco

Postby doktor5000 » May 20th, '21, 20:14

What graphics card do you have, and what packages do you have installed ?

Code: Select all
rpm -qa|grep -iE "nvidia|kernel"|sort
lspcidrake -v|grep VGA
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby DiBosco » May 20th, '21, 20:20

rpm -qa|grep -iE "nvidia|kernel"|sort
dkms-nvidia-current-460.39-2.mga8.nonfree
kernel-desktop-5.10.16-1.mga8-1-1.mga8
kernel-desktop-devel-5.10.16-1.mga8-1-1.mga8
kernel-desktop-devel-latest-5.10.16-1.mga8
kernel-desktop-latest-5.10.16-1.mga8
kernel-firmware-20201218-1.mga8
kernel-firmware-nonfree-20201230-2.mga8.nonfree
kernel-userspace-headers-5.10.16-1.mga8
lib64nvidia-egl-wayland1-1.1.5-3.mga8
nvidia-current-cuda-opencl-460.39-2.mga8.nonfree
nvidia-current-doc-html-460.39-2.mga8.nonfree
nvidia-current-utils-460.39-2.mga8.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-460.39-2.mga8.nonfree

lspcidrake -v|grep VGA
Card:NVIDIA GeForce 635 series and later: NVIDIA Corporation|TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] [DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:10de device:2184 subv:1458 subd:3fc7) (rev: a1)

I must stress that this was working for months just beautifully, it's today it's gone wrong.

I will also stress I am back on the problematic machine running Mageia 8 and no updates. When I ran the updates it broke everything.
DiBosco

Postby DiBosco » Jun 20th, '21, 22:35

For anyone else who sees this issue:

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29159

It's not completely solved by any means, but there's some interesting things we've discovered.
DiBosco

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 20th, '21, 22:49

Would be helpful if you added a summary of the issue - this only seems to affect people with more then 2 monitors, using HDMI and DP when using newer driver versions then nvidia-current 460.39.
----
doktor5000

Postby DiBosco » Jun 21st, '21, 00:14

Yes, that is pretty much it, although I'm not sure whether it matters if there are two DP ports or it has to be one DP and one HDMI. I will check tomorrow.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 21st, '21, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
DiBosco

Return to Basic support