[SOLVED] installed kernel sources not found: nvidia, vmware

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] installed kernel sources not found: nvidia, vmware

Postby magfan » May 18th, '21, 12:21

First I thought that there was again something wrong with the latest nvidia package because I could not start an xserver after the latest upgrade. Only nouveau was working. But when I tried to start vmware I got the error that the kernel sources are not installed in the default directory - which is wrong (see tree attachment). So, the strange thing is that kernel sources are installed correctly, I can see them, but neither nvidia nor vmware find them. What could have gone wrong here?
Attachments
vmware-kernel-files-mising.png
error message from vmware
vmware-kernel-files-mising.png (39.85 KiB) Viewed 766 times
kernel-tree.txt
source tree of kernel 5.10.33-server-1.mga8 in /lib/modules
(315.43 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Last edited by magfan on May 19th, '21, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
magfan

Re: installed kernel sources not found by: nvidia, vmware

Postby doktor5000 » May 18th, '21, 17:44

The tree output only shows the modules directory, no sources at all. There's no subdirectory build which points to /usr/src/ (where kernel sources and headers would reside).
As you didn't mention what kernel packages you have installed, can only guess - you're missing a suitable kernel-devel package that matches your kernel.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: installed kernel sources not found by: nvidia, vmware

Postby magfan » May 19th, '21, 10:47

Just before I tried to reinstall some packages. But obviously this did not work properly:

Code: Select all
urpmi --reinstall --force $(rpm -qa | grep nvidia-current)
urpmi --reinstall --force $(rpm -qa | grep kernel | grep 5.10.33-1.mga8)

After removing and installing those packages manually using urpme and urpmi everything is OK.
magfan

Re: [SOLVED] installed kernel sources not found: nvidia, vmw

Postby doktor5000 » May 19th, '21, 17:14

Well, urpmi does not know --reinstall so for sure that did not work obviously. If you want to reinstall installed packages you'd do that via

Code: Select all
urpmi --replacepkgs --replacefiles packagenames
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] installed kernel sources not found: nvidia, vmw

Postby magfan » May 20th, '21, 08:46

Yes, maybe that is a better solution. I tried the option "--reinstall" because of comment 10 to one of my bug reports: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28875 And urpmi did not complain about an unknown option.
magfan

Return to Basic support