failure to mount smb (cifs) drives

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

failure to mount smb (cifs) drives

Postby rodgoslin » May 17th, '21, 14:05

On a newish lenovo ThinlCenter M75-s machine, running Mga7, I'm having a lot of difficulty in mounting these drives on boot-up/ The cifs units are a pair of Drobo NAS units. I've been using these for some years from another machine, but this one seems to fail all the time. The /etc/fstab entries are identical, but they do not mount, at least not before the boot sequence moves on, registering a failure to mount. Mounting manually, after the boot sequence, works without problem, from the command line, logged in as root. the Drobo units are characterid=sed by 'going to sleep' if not being addressed. A factor that Drobo inc have recognised long ago, and the introduction of the 5n2 unit, which incorporates an optional SSD for a quick wakening. It'ss till a bind, however, that at every boot, the mount fails. It's not that the boot sequence has not had time,. booting hangng for a minute and 45 seconds on this aspect, which makes the boot-up somewhat longer than it would be on my main desktop unit.
rodgoslin

Re: failure to mount smb (cifs) drives

Postby doktor5000 » May 17th, '21, 16:08

It would help if you would at least post the fstab entries in question (minus credentials, where applicable).
Also journal excerpts of those mounts, as they usually show why they are not mounted during boot (most often because network is not available yet because they are not marked with e.g. _netdev).
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » May 18th, '21, 07:45

Doktor5000, up until now, the machiine has just been used to assess it's use on the Lenovo ThinkCentre, and no attempts have been made to widen this aspect. In order to pose the problems on the forum, this has been done through my normal desktop machines. However, I've enabled the operation on the ThinkCentre, and here we are.
The entries for /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab, plus such items as credentials, have been copied to a memory stick and copied and pasted into this machine, with the required changes, but in all respects, are the same as on the desktop machine.
The entries in journalctl took some finding, for the failure to mount the NAS units, but are as follows:-

Code: Select all
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public-rod.mount: Mounting timed out. Terminating.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\drobo-a Send error in SessSetup = -512
May 17 11:35:35 localhost kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512
May 17 11:35:35 localhost kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\drobo5n2 Send error in SessSetup = -512
May 17 11:35:35 localhost kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public3.mount: Mounting timed out. Terminating.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public-rod.mount: Mount process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public-rod.mount: Failed with result 'timeout'.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/Public/rod.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: remote-fs.target: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public3.mount: Mount process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: mnt-Public3.mount: Failed with result 'timeout'.
May 17 11:35:35 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/Public3.

Hope this helps. The command, 'mount -av'' , in a terminal window, as root does work every time, and successfully mounts both NAS units.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » May 18th, '21, 12:45

For what it's worth, the command response to command line mounting of the two NAS units:-

[root@localhost rod]# mount -av
/ : ignored
/boot/EFI : already mounted
/home : already mounted
/proc : successfully mounted
swap : ignored
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.154,unc=\\drobo-a\Public,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=droboman,pass=********
/mnt/Public/rod : successfully mounted
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.162,unc=\\drobo5n2\Public,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=droboman,pass=********
/mnt/Public3 : successfully mounted
[root@localhost rod]#
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » May 18th, '21, 17:41

The output of mount -a does not help that much, that's why I asked for the fstab entries.
My guess is still that by the time the automatic mount is tried, network is not fully up and hence mount fails. Even if you copy&pasted those fstab entries over several machines, does not prove whether they are still missing an option to wait for the network, you just might have been lucky.
I've already provided you with the hint about which option might help with this (_netdev).
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » May 18th, '21, 18:52

Hmmm. The general entries in /etc, are the ones that I've been using for years. All through the Mageia series, through the Mandriva years, and well back into the times of Mandrale, in probably more than a dozen differnt machines, so I seem to have been 'lucky' for a very long time. I think I'll need bit more than a hint on _netdev. A term I've never come across before, anywhere. What does it do, why and where?
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » May 18th, '21, 18:59

See the man page: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy ... mount.html
It means that this mount requires a network connection to be started before mount is tried.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support