Difficultis with running Gnome-encfs-manager [Closed]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Difficultis with running Gnome-encfs-manager [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » May 9th, '21, 05:24

Some time ago I installed Gnome-Encfs-Manager on my desktop machine. There were initial problems with launching this, which were ironed out, and the application ran wel.l I put the two operating directories on a NAS unit on my LAN, so the decrypted files could be seen, as appropriate, anywhere on the LAN. l later installed it on a laptop, and it too, works ok.
My desktop machine is showing signs of age, and I decided to buy another machine to use as a mirrored device, in case of disaster, which I'm doing now. The install, which is from the command line, since the installed version fails, as it did before.. The setup seems ok, there are few things to setup. However on attempting to mount the decrypted directory, after entering the password, it fails with the following error message
Code: Select all
fusermount: mounting over filesystem type 0xfe534d42 is forbidden
fuse failed.  Common problems:
 - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
 - invalid options -- see usage message

It was some time ago when I set this up, and I've forgotten what I did then to get it going. Any ideas, anyone
Last edited by rodgoslin on May 9th, '21, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: Difficultis with running Gnome-encfs-manager on a new ma

Postby doktor5000 » May 9th, '21, 15:30

The referred filesystem type seems to be Samba/CIFS. As you didn't mention much context information, where do you actually mount that?
On top of a local filesystem or on top of an SMB/CIFS mount ? This looks exactly as https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1694552
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » May 9th, '21, 17:12

The application does, in fact sit on an SMB/CIFS mount. The difficulty here, is that the same setup sat on two machines, a desktop running Mga5, and a laptop, running Mga7. On both of these machines encfs works perfectly. I had intended in the first install, that it would be a good place for my password database.which normally sits on an old Psion netBook, which has no external connections.This case arose when I decided to build a new PC, to replace the ageing desktop. I decided to go up to Mga7, as the laptop is, on the basis that it works there. Except that it doesn't. Hence the enquiry. It was some time since the original install. I have vague memories that there were problems, but cannot recall what they were, and how they were overcome. Getting old is a terrible affliction!
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » May 9th, '21, 21:59

It does appear finally fixed. I've no idea exactly why. I noticed by chance, that the instance on the laptop had a local, rather than a LAN based mount directory. When I originally installed the system, it was only going to be only for use on one machine. later I put it onto two, with the problems I had difficulty in remembering. When I changed the mount directory on the latest machine to a local directory, it worked. I'm still suspicious, odd things do still seem to happen, and I'm unsure, since on closing the in clear directory, all changes are copied, encrypted, to the 'stash' directory. If by chance you have an instance mounted on another machine, how does that work. It's a thing found on most applications, by the use of a'lock' file, but that is not going to happen here. I shall just have to be circumspect in how I use it. Another consideration is that if, as I have, a daily backup on 'Back In Time', if I'm working on the encrypted stuff, it's likely to be included, 'in clear' on the backup.
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support