Mounting ciffs devices problem [Closed]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mounting ciffs devices problem [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » May 8th, '21, 03:49

I'm in the process of building a new Mageia environment on a new machine, my old desktop unit is showing signs of age. I've got as far as mounting my NAS units, copying the required files, etc. from my old machine. No problems until I came to trying to mount the units. It wasn't until I got the error message that I remembered that it had happened on the old machine. Unfortunately, while I can remember that I had to add/instal something, it was so long ago that I've entirely forgotten what it was I had to install. The error message is as follows:

mount; /mnt/Public: bad option for several file systems (e.g. nfs, ciffs) you might need a sbin/mount <type> helper program

can anyone help me out on this? I recollect it came up originally when the change from smb to ciffs came about.
Last edited by rodgoslin on May 8th, '21, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: Mounting ciffs devices problem

Postby sturmvogel » May 8th, '21, 10:34

Do you have nfs-utils and cifs-utils installed?
sturmvogel

Postby rodgoslin » May 8th, '21, 18:37

Thanks. The mention of cifs-utils and nfs-utils jogged my memory. No, they are not installed on the machine in question. Odd to relate, but neither of these are available in the repositories. A check that my laptop, which does have Mga7 installed finds them and they are installed. Both machines, I'm sure, were installed from the same DVD, and both have Core release and update enabled. Another odd thing. From time immemoria, the Configure Media Sources in MMC has always included CD-ROM, which I always disable on a successful install. On this latest install, however the two CD-ROM options are not included on install. Not significant, but strange.
rodgoslin

Postby isadora » May 8th, '21, 18:41

in general it is advised to create separate topics for different issues.
It makes searching in the forum easier for somebody else, who might run into the same problem in future, and chances people are picking up your issue is bigger.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby sturmvogel » May 8th, '21, 19:12

rodgoslin wrote:Odd to relate, but neither of these are available in the repositories.

Make sure that you have set "Show all packages" instead of "Only GUI" in MCC. These two packages are in core release repo.
Make also sure that you have a complete set of medias activated and added (add a complete set if needed via MCC).
sturmvogel

Re: Mounting ciffs devices problem [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » May 8th, '21, 22:35

Thanks, Sturmvogel. That was it. I think that one has caught me out on every build and re-build that I've ever done. I usually catch it on small things on setting the machine up, but this time, again, memory has failed me, and in this case it was wanting to get back to my data on the LAN. I usually have the setting permanentl at 'All'. Why this is not the default, I've no idea.
interesting name, Sturmvogel. takes me back to my time with the RAF. Not that I go back to Me 262 times, but I was a ground radar fitter at radar site in North Germany, near Schleswig, for a large part of my National Service. interestingly, the site is still an active radar site, but, of course, all "my" kit is long since gone, but I see that the 'Ops' building is still there

Thanks again, Rod Goslin
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support